Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2005, 2:37 PM   #1

I'm torn between the Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 and an SLR? I'm not a pro, but would like to learn more and take great photos. I've researched the A200 quite a bit and love its features and small form factor, 8MP and RAW file format for editing.

But, do I spend over a couple hundred more for an SLR?

Whatwill an SLRdo for me that the Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 won't? I'm totally lost at this point and not getting much help from stores.

Any help is appreciated....Thanks.
stlphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:08 PM   #2

stlphoto,

Good questions.

Here is what you'll get if you buy a DSLR over the A200;

- Better low light capability. The A200 has a max ISO of 800 whereas most DSLR's have a max ISO of 1600.

- More lens flexibility. The A200 has an excellent 28-200 lens. However, if you ever want to shoot wider than 28, or longer than 200, you'll be limited by the A200. Although I must say, 28-200 is where most people shoot most of the time.

- More responsive.DSLR's tend to have less shutter lag, and better focusing due to more autofocus points.

- Better picture quality. Although the A200 has very good quality, a DSLR is likely to top it.

If you really want to become the best photographer possible, consider a DSLR .

There are quite a few nice low priced DSLR's out there.

Put the Canon Rebel XT, The Nikon D50 and the Minolta 5D on your search list.

If you need more help, please feel free to private message me.

- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:52 PM   #3

i love my a200 but i haven't been able to get macro shots that satisfy me. i am looking for a better macro camera. if you plan to take macro/close-up shots, my advice is to skip the a200. if you can afford a dslr, i would go that route.

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:49 PM   #4

One thing you need to keep in mind though, is that lens will probably be a big expense if you do go the DSLR route. Most of the time to cover the range of a Prosumer camera's range you'll need to buy either a specific lens like a 18-200mm lens that a lot of manufacturers offers, or another lens to compliment the kit lens that usually in 20-50/70mm range. And speaking of macro those macro lens are another expense as well...Good lensthat cost the same or more than thebody itself is not unusual...

The pics are well worth it, but the expense do adds up.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 5:03 PM   #5

Racingmaniac,

True, lenses are more expensive but they can be purchased over time.

Over the years, our interest in photography changes and so do the focal lengths.

I would say any camera purchased today could last someone a lifetime, but realistically will be outdated in 5 years time.

However, an investment in lenses can be carried over to the next camera purchase, and maybe beyond.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:05 PM   #6

I know that and that is why I bought a DSLR as well. But the ownership experience of the SLR and Prosumer is quite different that when people's making the decision they need to have this in mind...A couple of hundred dollar now will in the long run be a lot more once you want to upgrade your collection of lenses and so forth...

One big change for me is I surf eBay a lot more often now....lol
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:19 PM   #7

I would say that I'm an avid photographer who learns more and more every day. I currently own an A200 and love it and continue to read about various cameras both prosumer and DSLR. The other post was right on the money regarding the differences between the A200 and a DSLR.

What you will gain with a DSLR:

1. Much better low light shooting performance

2. Images that are much less noisy at ISO's above 200. I rarely take my A200 above 200 sometimes 400 if I'm in a bind due to the level of noise.

3. This is the biggest and in my opinion most important benefit of a DSLR; AF speed. Don't take this for granted. The A200 does not do that great a job with action shots.

4. Interchangable lenses.

5. Superior picture quality due to the larger sensor. The pixels aren't so cramped!

Benefits of the A200 over a DSLR:

1. Bang for the buck. If you're very budget concious, the A200 is a great alternative and one of the best prosumers on the market.

2. Compact package. The A200 is very compact and is a great vacation companion. You always have a very usable range of 28-200mm at your fingertips without having to lug around additional lenses.

3. Video mode. Not sure if this is important to you, but this function does not exist on any DSLR.

4. The ability to frame your shot using the LCD. The LCD is only used for menu functions and image preview on a DSLR. Also, the A200 LCD rotates for over the head or low to the ground shots.

Overall I'm very pleased with the A200 and I've taken some fantastic shots with it. It has a great level of detail in the images and as a landscape camera it is EXCELLENT. Right now I'm working around it's shortcomings, but find myself longing for the performance of a DSLR. What I would gain mostly from a DSLR is the focus speed and accuracy. The A200 sometimes misses focus and produces soft images, but this can happen with any camera. It depends on what you want to shoot and how. But if you can afford it, I would invest in the DSLR. The Nikon D50, Canon 350D, and Konica Minolta 5D are all excellent and there are more coming out seemingly every month. Hope this helped more than it confused!
105sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:39 AM   #8

Wow! Thank you everyone for the advice. I do find it worth the extra few dollars to go DSLR. GREAT ADVICE.

Now to just decide between Canon Rebel XT or Konica Minolta 5D.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

stlphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:20 PM   #9

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
i love my a200 but i haven't been able to get macro shots that satisfy me. i am looking for a better macro camera. if you plan to take macro/close-up shots, my advice is to skip the a200. if you can afford a dslr, i would go that route.

ellen fl
The A200 is perfect for Macro/close-up work.

Example below:

A200 with no addons.

A200 with a +2 diopter (Canon 500d in this case).

Naturally it's all down to what you're going to do with your camera.If you plan on using many different focal lengths, then a dSLR might be just the way to go. Naturally there are pro's and con's with a Prosumer class camera (noise issues, focusing issues etc). I however plan on keeping my A200 for quite a while, since its portability can't be beaten
Particle_Man is offline   Reply With Quote