Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2005, 5:09 PM   #1

I am looking for suggestions for a first digital camera for my 6-year old daughter. She is interested in photography, is fairly adept with technology and is responsible. I'm not looking for a toy, but a decent entry-level camera.

The key attributes will be ease of use, overall size (in this case, bigger is somewhat better), size and spacing ofbuttons, and overall simplicity. Megapixels don't matter, nor does zoom for that matter. It might be similar to what you'd buy for a grandparent. Surprisingly,I couldn't find any lists or rankings for either children or older adults (may be an opportunity for someone???). :idea:

For my own use, I have a Canon digital rebel xt and a Canon Powershot. I love both, but I think the Powershot might be difficult for her to handle.

In terms of price, I'd like to keep it in the $150 range, but am more focused on getting something she'll use. My expectation is that I would replace it in 2-3 years if she shows a real interest in photography.

Thanks for your help!

graubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:56 PM   #2

I too have been looking for my son.....he is 10 and well now the 8 year old wants one too! :-)

The ones I have been looking at are the Nikon 4600 and one of the Kodaks C330 (I think that was the number). I think the Kodak was fairly inexpensive at Target and it had optical zoom.......a lot of the lower cost cameras only have digital zoom....which I don't want at all.
dragonluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:41 PM   #3

I've been researching a camera for my 7-year-old son as well as a 6-year-old niece. I have been really surprised by the lack of suggestions for young children. I'm going to be following this discussion to see what kind of suggestions you get. I posted on another forum and have received the following suggestions:

Canon PowerShot A410
Fuji FinePix A340
mellomelsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:52 PM   #4

What I have found is if it's lower priced then it's digital zoom which I DON'T want......the best selection I think I've found has been at Target.....they had an Olympus (don't remember the model #) for $149, the Kodak for $159 and the Nikon for $179.......those are the three I am looking at.......

I will check around again at prices/cameras before making a final decision, will probably look at best buy again also......
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:00 PM   #5

Thanks.

I'm glad I'm not the only one surprised by the lack of info. I asked the folks behind the counter at Adorama Camera (one of the more reputable NYC shops) and he looked at me and said "go to Toys R Us".

Thirty years ago, I had a film camera before I turned 10, yet no one seems to be focusing on this as a market opportunity. Digital is much more economical than film, so why not let kids start to learn early?

Unless I get some more responses, I guess that my best approach will be to just play with a bunch at a local retailer. I'm not too concerned about image quality, and even the question of optical zoom is pretty irrelevant for my soon-to-be 7-year old. It's just finding a fairly sturdy camera with high ease of use. I wonder whether I'd see a different response if I asked about a camera for an elderly person (simplicity, large buttons and ease of use also critical).

Someone's missing a great marekting opportunity here...

graubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:04 PM   #6

that is for sure. Keep your eye on Walgreens (well that is IF you're in the US! LOL) they run ads for some of their polarid cameras that look fairly easy to operate and one time it was like $69 (yes digital).

Since both of my boys want camera's now :-) I agree, digital is the way to go....that way I can print the 'good' ones and we can discuss the bad ones and not spend a mint processing an awful roll of film. Since I was thinking of a price range of around $150, those three I listed seemed fairly easy to operate......had the optical zoom that I want......

Good luck with your search!!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:30 PM   #7

My 10 year old daughter uses a Sony DSC-p93. Unfortunately, this is no longer available. However, sony has the DSC-s40, olympus has the D-435, fuji has the A345. All are under $180 (the last 2 @$150) and should provide decent image quality and ease of use.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:22 PM   #8

2 of my kids(10 and 12) have the canon a400...nice little camera that takes great pics, comparable to my 6 mp fuji e550...simpe for them to use and seems very durable....i think they have dropped even more in price than before

sharon:-)
jakoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:05 PM   #9

What about the Fujifilm A330? Similar to the A340, but it is available at RadioShack for $112, and is still a pretty nice camera. We still own and use a Fuji 2650, which is an older version that is similar, but 2MP. Unless the child will impacient with the cameras lack of instantaneity esspecially when using the flash, it should be fine. It will have features like zoom, adjustable white balance, and exposure compensation for when they learn to do more than point and shoot.

Another choice may be buying a used camera on ebay or localy.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:22 PM   #10

I researched this also, because that is all my 11-year-old daughter has asked for for Christmas. I ended up with the Canon A410, and I think it will be just perfect for her. I think I paid about $130 for it, including a case from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. I've played around with it, and am quite impressed for the price. I think it will serve its purpose just fine.

My two digitial cameras have been Canons, and I have been very pleased. For the price, this camera has all the features she will need. And the size is perfect also--it is much lighter than my A80.

Good luck!
mdmomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote