Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:18 PM   #1

I get a ton of questions about how the S2 video is (quality, zoom , etc). Here is a clip (around 20 mb) of how the S2 video zoom works on wildlife that is a good distance away. Hopefully it answers some questions for folks wondering about the S2 video. The clip was taken in Yellowstone National Park. download the "s2 video clip" link at the site: http://www.traveltownhall.com/. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them. That was with IS set to continuous. Don't mind the shaking at the end, lol.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:58 PM   #2

Thanks for that - zoom looks good.

What is maximum lenght of movie you can take ?

The Specs say maximum of 1GB & 1 Hr. Is a 1 Hr movie possible at lowest resolution i.e. with 320x240 & 15FS ?

Are there compression options with the movie mode as well as for stills ?
Phil999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:14 AM   #3

At high quality I can get around 7 minutes and 50 seconds on a 1 gig card.

At low quality (lower resolultion and FPS) I can get around 35 minutes. But I wouldn't use thart quality as it's just not worth it IMHO. If you are going to use the lower res, keep the FPS at 30.

there are no compression options for the video.

As for movie length I can fill up my 1 gig card with one movie. If I had a two gig card the filming would automatically stop at 1 gig limit. You would have to press record again to record another gig.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 1:04 PM   #4

Thanks again.

Without having the opportunity to play around with the vaious options, I would guess that 640x480 15FS might be the best sub-maximum option.

The sample movieon this site for the Canon A70 has 640x480 15FS, is of moving cars and looks reasonably smooth. My old Oly 490Z has 320x240 & 15FS as its best quality and I certainly don't like the jagged edges at 320x240

Phil999 is offline   Reply With Quote