Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2005, 5:11 AM   #11

Not really anything odd about the handling. As posted in the dpreview the S9500 is most SLR like in its handling it does take great photos and has imho just about the right number of dials and buttons to make for usability. The only caveat is the one mentioned in most reviews the option to select RAw is buried around 11 clicks into the menu structure which is a bit of a pain if you switch regular. Personally I shoot in JPEG most of the time and normally know in advance if I'm going to use RAW so set this beforehand.

One really great feature if you use a tripod lots is the fold out screen and this makes low shots a lot easier. This is one area where it does score over the DSLR brigade.

Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 9:50 AM   #12

I teach digital cameras so I own both the Fuji S-9000 and the Pentax 1st DS. IMHO I think that the images from the 1st DS have more "pop" to them, than those from the S-9000. I know that is a subjective call but it reflects what I feel.

The control layout on the S-9000, like the 1st DS, is excellent. You really can't go wrong with either of them. However, keep in mind that the S-9000 is marginally smaller.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:56 PM   #13

While I would like to have that "pop," it isn't enough difference to go back to an SLR. I've also thought about the R1, but it seems like I'd have to get too many accessories, along with all that extra money, to get the zoom and macro capabilities I really want. It makes sense to buy the Fuji S9000 now and then watch what Sony does with the R1's sensor. Perhaps I'll be interested in replacing the Fuji about the time when Sony comes out with the same sensor and a lens that goes out at least to 200 mm (equivalent).

Thank you everyone for giving me ideas, opinions and suggestions.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 6:16 AM   #14
E.T

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
...watch what Sony does with the R1's sensor.* Perhaps I'll be interested in replacing the Fuji about the time when Sony comes out with the same sensor and a lens that goes out at least to 200 mm (equivalent).
Size of that monster would be huge if lens if fast.
Propably the biggest advantage of smaller sensor is ability to make fast zoom lenses without huge size and sensor size of this Sony is similar to DSLRs which makes fast zoom lenses starting even some kind wide angle and ending to average tele very big.
Just check any SLR zoom lenses and you'll notice that F4-4.5 is quite generally their best F-ratio. (in tele end it can go almost to F6)
Of course there's some faster zoom lenses but those are really expensive.

Most SLR like digicams are KonicaMinolta A1 and A2 hands down, two control dials and enough buttons/function dials that in normal shooting you don't need to use any menus, 5 memory slots with fast recall/saving of your favorite/most used settings, also there's one control position you can set to control either image size, image quality (JPG compression/TIFF/RAW), flash mode, flash control, sharpness or color mode if you need one of those regularly. (and in A2 4x EVF resolution compared to any other digicam)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:25 PM   #15

Thanks for the information - I didn't realize that it would make a difference size-wise, and the last thing I want is a huge, heavy camera. I had wondered why Sony didn't put a longer lens on the R1. I guess digital cameras are a matter of compromise. Now I can't wait until the 1st and payday!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote