Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:12 PM   #1

I want to buy a new digital SLR. I have a subtle tremor which never affected my ability to shoot with my old Pentax 35mm but was a problem recently with a video camera. Given that, I think some kind of image stabilization would be a useful option. I'm considering the D50, Rebel XT and the KM5D. In terms of technology, is the built in anti-shake of the Minolta functionally equivalent (superior?) to that achieved with proprietary lenses. I've shot pics with a friend's Rebel and withan IS zoom, I had excellent results. The Nikon actually had the nicest feel if I just go by that alone but I'm drawn to the 8MP, wide array of lenses and excellent reviews of the Canon. I'm going to play with the XT some more and see if it feels more comfortable but would appreciate any advice that might steer me one way or the other. I'll shoot mostly kids at sports, some indoor with modest light (gymnastics), other outdoors like soccer and softball but mostly that kind of shooting. Thanks. Steve
stylecouncil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 2:22 PM   #2

check the 5D too. If possible check the 7D.. 5D and 7D are of almost the same cost.

The AS works fine and its most prolly the future of digital cameras...

one day or the other every one will have to accept and follow the AS path. I bet around feb u will know the shift in the market towards AS. the feature is so good to say no.

Between XT , Nikon and 5D i would choose 5D. reasons

1) AS

2)Lens cost i may incur( the L lens cost arond 1k-2k)

3) It will take just a year or so for KM combined with Sony to come out with camera with AS and that would most prolly function like a canon 20d or a Nikon D200. Since it has AS, the lens cost is very very low compared to other brands..

and it all comes to a point in which system u wnat to invest. Its just not the body alone. U will have to think abt which system will provide u the best result for ur trype of photography. canon leads the market now, but nikon has been challenging canon. But the inception of AS in KM series is now creating the greatest fuzz..

SVB

hope it was confusing enough:blah:
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 9:55 PM   #3

"In terms of technology, is the built in anti-shake of the Minolta functionally equivalent (superior?) to that achieved with proprietary lenses."

It's "functionally equivalent". You'll gain 2-3 stops either way.

"I'll shoot mostly kids at sports, some indoor with modest light..."

That means you'll probably need a fast lens which translates to an expensive lens. Add image stabilization to the lens and that translate to a "very" expensive lens. I'd certainly take a hard look at the KM5D.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:53 AM   #4

If I had the choice (for the type of photography I do), I would get an KM 7D. You would find it hard to beat, (unless you had an unlimited budget for IR lenses...& if so, I would buy a Canon 20D all IR rated, L-lenses).

While I've had DSLR's before, I currently shoot with a Minolta A1 & find it does a great job for what I want (& the Anti-Shake works wonders)! I've also tested a KM 7D (see the conclusion of Steves review for my comments) & found it to be a great camera!
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:37 PM   #5

Most sports photography is shot at shutter speeds above 1/250 to stop action which diminishes the effectiveness of AS-IS-VR in with those types of conditions. It is nice for settling things down in the viewfinder while composing the shot regardless of the shooting speed. Take some more shots slowing the shutter speed down with each consecutive shot to find your minimum acceptable shutter speed or check the data on the shoots you have taken regarding the shutter speeds you used.

6MP is a lot of data and will produce great images on a television, a PC monitor, or printed to 8x10. If you do not plan on doing much post-processing I can't think of a good reason to have more MP. If you are planning on adjusting images, cropping, resizing, etc.,it might be nice to have the extra MPs.

You might look into what kind of accessories are available of the different systems that fit your needs (and their cost), lenses, flashes, connectors, storage, software support, etc. Trust your gut, you've had your hands on two of them, try to get your hands on the Minolta, then grab the one that gives you butterflies. Regards-
fitzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:24 AM   #6

fitzc wrote:
Quote:
Most sports photography is shot at shutter speeds above 1/250 to stop action which diminishes the effectiveness of AS-IS-VR in with those types of conditions. It is nice for settling things down in the viewfinder while composing the shot regardless of the shooting speed.
I guess in the case of the 5D, AS won't have any effect on the viewfinder image, because it's the sensor which moves. That could be a point for lens-based stabilisation, but not a very important one I suspect. As you say, it may not be so important if very quick shutter speeds are being used, but even at 1/250 it might be still be occasionally effective with a very long telephoto - especially considering Steve's slight tremor.

As for the question of which is best, for my money I'd say the KM5D looks pretty good. As for the wide array of lenses for the Canon, I don't think there's a shortage from any of these manufacturers. Seems like a strange point to make for Canon in favour of Nikon - surely Nikon have some of the finest lenses around?
pterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:00 AM   #7

Thanks alot...

It really is an amazing thing that I can ask an unsolicited question and get specific well-intentioned advice from people who have more insight into this stuff than I do.

I have now gotten my hands on all 3 cameras including taking the Canon out for a spin at a gymnastics meet. The suggestions on this thread are consistent with my experience and my lens research. In terms of feel, Ipreferred both the Nikon and KM5D (size and weight helped me feel more stable than the smaller XT) and while the Nikon does have great lenses, presentlylooking to their VR line does really limit the options. So... I'll be picking up the KM5D. Thanks again. Steve

[email protected]
stylecouncil is offline   Reply With Quote