Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 13, 2005, 5:28 PM   #1
ajb

I am purchasing a digital camera for the first time. I know nothing about them, can only spend max $500, and need one that takes a picture fast, with a zoom, 5 mg, takes good close up shots, with a good quality picture (I know asking a lot for $500). I have two small children and a dog and they won't pose for more than 3 seconds! I borrowed a pentax optio3.2 mg for a while - it was very slow, and the pictures came out dark and poor quality. I have been to a few stores and the Fuji E510 was recommended but I didn't like the way the flash 'popped up'. I was told that Fuji is the fastest because they have Real Photo Technology - not sure if this is correct.

Any advice would be most appreciated - but please respond in simple terms as I am technically challenged.
ajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 6:28 PM   #2

Fuji does make some very fast cameras. I have a Fuji S5200 (5.1 mp) and am very pleased with it. It's burst mode is very impressive, firing off shots as fast assome DSLRs.It has a long (10X) zoom and high ISO, upto 1600 in manual mode. It also has a pop-up flash, but if that bothers you, just pop it up by pressing the shutter halfway with the flash in Forced mode and leave it that way. You can then change the flash mode to whatever you want and use the camera without it popping up all the time, or you can turn the flash off altogether. Best of all, the price is well under $500.

Another camera you might want to consider is the 6 mp Olympus SP500 UZ. It's very similar to the S5200 and is priced about the same. It has more shooting modes and a larger LCD, but has no Image Stabilization or high ISO (film speed) capability. You'll need one or the other if you want to take telephoto shots without a tripod. The SP500 UZ's 10X lens is of the extending type which slows down the camera's start-up time, while the S5200 has a fixed lens with internal zoom. It doesn't have to extend it's lens at start-up, so it's ready to use quicker, and it's also less hassle to attach accessories (filters, etc.) to, since you don't need an adaptor ring.

I've found a couple of on-line reviews that may be of some help.

http://www.photoxels.com/fujifilm-s5200-review.html

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/oly.../sp500-gen.php

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:06 PM   #3
ajb

thanks very much - I like the sound of the S5200.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 9:26 PM   #4

I recently did a lot of research before choosing an ultra zoom for my son. I was so impressed with the reviews on the Panasonic FZ5 that I bought one for me, too. It's my third digital camera; the other two are by Olympus, and I've gotten great results with them.

The FZ5 has startlingly fast focus. Thiswould come in handy when taking pix of kids (or pets). It also has image stabilization. I paid something like $333 at IBuyDigital.com Check out the reviews on this site and this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/
Alisande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:36 PM   #5

ajb, I've used an ultrazoom camera for the past two years and like it very much; however, for YOUR purposes, I'm not sure it's the best choice. It sounds like the person who recommended the Fuji E510 listened carefully to your needs and made an excellent suggestion. Read Steve's review of the E510 and see if it doesn't sound like a good fit for you. If you buy at a local brick-and-mortar store, you can always return it within a specified time for a refund or exchange if you don't like it. By the way, the prices of digital cameras have come down drastically in the past year. You are NOT asking alot for $500. I just bought a digital SLR camera with lens for less than that. Why spend $500 if you can spend around $200 and get the results you want?
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:53 AM   #6
ajb

Thanks, you're correct, I did tell the salesperson my needs and the E510 was recommended based on them. I think I am settling on a Fuji for sure and after thinking and reading more about the two cameras, the S5200 sounds great but may be more than I need and I am now leaning towards the E510 - it is also smaller and will fit better in my pocket when I go to parks etc.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:43 PM   #7
ajb

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I ended up buying the Fuji Finepix F10 Zoom and absolutely love it! I tried the Fuji E510 for a few days and didn't feel comfortable with it - it was okay but the need to manually pop the flash up bothered me. I am glad I upgraded to the F10 - it's so easy to use and takes incredible pictures.

thanks to everyone who gave advice.