Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:29 PM   #1

I've done research and talked to several camera stores trying to get an answer on an entry level DSLR and have narrowed it down to these 2.

Anti-Shake and larger LCD for the KM seems to be pushing me over the edge.

Any comments, suggestions or items that I may not know about would be appreciated in helping me make the purchase.....Thank You.

stlphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:02 AM   #2

Yep, I've narrowed it down to the same choice. The KM 5D looks to be coming out on top though because of AS, even with with less MP (6 compared to 8). It is also around £120 cheaper which will go a long way to getting further lenses. The only thing I can see in favour of getting the 350D is the continuous shooting capacity/buffer, which I'm still puzzled about as different reviews of the 350D and KM 5D differ when it comes to saying how much each, in reality not manufacturers figures, can do.
pjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:15 AM   #3

Just to make you aware the 350d currently has £100 off if you buy with a mastercard.

Im umming and aahing beetween these two too!

5d at £470 with basic kit and lens or

350d at £460(withoffer) with basic kit and lens.

Im leaning towards the 350d at the mo.

offer at http://www.canonmastercardpromotion.com
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:48 AM   #4

Funny, I'm sitting on that same fence right now. Leaning toward the 5D however. I took a Rebel out for a spin yesterday shooting action shots indoors in modest light. Trying to get a shutterspeed that stops action and that I can hold steady while allowing enough light in for the shot was a challenge. I do think I need some kind of anti-shake and while I was using a nice Canon zoom lens with IS, the options and prices forreasonably fastlenses with IS really make this a challenge. Having said that, I've taken and seen some beautiful shots with the 6 MP Rebel in outdoor lighting that convinces me that the 8MP shouldn't be the dealbreaker. So I've done the math, weighed the pixels and after trying cameras and overthinking this process looking at The Rebel XT, Nikon D50 and the KM D5... I'm fairly sure I'm buying the Maxxum. Steve [email protected]
stylecouncil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:51 AM   #5

If you shootJPG with a fast card(Sandisk Extreme III), you can literally shoot continuous mode at 3fpstill the card is full...RAW is where the buffer size became more of an issue.

I think one wouldn't be disspointed with either, but I think 5D's AS feature are certainly useful in realworld to make more of a difference IMO than 2 more MP...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:32 AM   #6

For me the canon is edging it due to the £100 off the normal price!

If at a later date I decide to resell it puts me in a much better position.

Although are lens costs going to be much different for comparable lenses?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 1:15 PM   #7

@Stylecounsil

check this http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...a7d/page19.asp

with respect to AS and Action shots.....u may get some idea.

vivek
waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:14 PM   #8
Super Moderator

PM sent with some info
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:37 AM   #9

RacingManiac wrote:
Quote:
If you shootJPG with a fast card(Sandisk Extreme III), you can literally shoot continuous mode at 3fpstill the card is full...RAW is where the buffer size became more of an issue.

I think one wouldn't be disspointed with either, but I think 5D's AS feature are certainly useful in realworld to make more of a difference IMO than 2 more MP...

Is this for the KM 5D or 350D? I've contacted KM for the results of the 5D when shooting continuous mode in the various sizes/quality of JPEGs, but have had no reply yet. They don't seem to quote these figures in their spec for the camera.
pjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:09 AM   #10

KM 5D. I've seen review mentioned this, and I've tried it as well(well not til the card filled up). But in X. Fine Jpg mode(highest quality and res, pic size around 4 MB), it'll just click-click-click-click-click-click with no sign of slow down til you let go.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote