Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2005, 4:31 PM   #1

hi there,

so i'm thinking of buying either the s7000 or s5600, i do not want any other camera apart from these two due to having received vouchers for a store that i cannot change and conciquently the best cameras there for my price range happen to be these two!

I will be taking pictures of landscapes, design work, graffiti and some good portrait pictures.

I realise that the s7000 is an older model and this is what worries me about buying it even though its read good reviews, my question is, which one do i choose?! the older s7000 or the newer s5600?! please help!!
hilly666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2005, 5:39 PM   #2

Just a point of clarification. The S7000 is certainly not the newer camera. In fact, this camera has been around for several years already. Don't be confused by the model numbers. The S5600 is actually the newer camera. I have the S5600 (or S5200 as it is sold in the US) and am very pleased with it.

smithkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 5:53 PM   #3

sorry, my fault! i meant that!!
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:09 PM   #4

sorry about that mistake, if anyone has any advice i'd really appreciate it thanks
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:38 AM   #5

If these are the only two choices, I would certainly go with the 5600. I really don't see the reason to go with the older 7000. Since the 5600 is newer and uses a much improved CCD, it is simply a better long term camera.

Perhaps if you could provide some reasons why you are considering the older model, it would help us understand. Is the cost difference significant? Was there some specific feature you saw on the S7000 that you feel is lacking on the S5600?
smithkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:50 AM   #6

I had the S7000 for about 14 months before it was stolen and now have the s5200 (about 3 weeks). Both are good cameras. I would pick the s5200 because of the greater zoom and new sensor which gives you better shots in low light. It also has a faster start up and shorter shutter lag.

If I had an extra 300 bucks, I would get the S7000 from that shop. It's new, isn't it? Then I would go on E-bay, sell it, and then buy the s9000. It has greater wide angle shot capabilities and higher resolution. Also takes Compact Flash cards and microdrives. The only drawback I see with regard to the S5200 is that it's biggger and you might get tired of lugging it around.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote