Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 16, 2005, 12:08 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Default

I have a sony 3.2 MP DSC-72. I love it because it can use AA batteries and it's small but the zoom is not good enough for my kids' soccer games. So I'm in the market to upgrade to 5MP or more and a good zoom. I want something not TOO big as I am a mom with 2 grade schoolers but...
I've been looking at two: the Canon PowerShot S2 IS and the
Nikon Coolpix 7600. Either of these good? Or is there something else I should look at? I'm lost.
Thanks!
- erin
ErinH729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 245
Default

Hey Soccer Mom!

Isn't the 7600 a standard 3x zoom camera?

The S2 does a great job IMO. It's the smallest ultra zoom camera I am aware of (except for the Panasonic FZ5). The FZ5 will be quite a bit cheaper and give just as good images as the S2 (if not better!). But, the FZ5 lacks a few features (that not everyone needs anyways)the S2 has.

S2 image attached...


swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:40 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Default

Great picture... that's why I asked the question... I hadn't noticed the 7600 was 3X but... yeah it is. Cross that off. I'll check out the other one too. Thanks!
ErinH729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:38 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 283
Default

Check out the Fujifilm S5200 and S9000.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:37 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 245
Default

David French wrote:
Quote:
Check out the Fujifilm S5200 and S9000.
The S9000 is probably both too expensive and too large for her. I would cross that one out base on her criteria. The S5200 is a decent camera, but it's larger than the S2, which "may" put it out of her interest (not sure)...?
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Why not save some hard earned money-

Sooner or later the Canon S-2, no matter how good it is, will give way to a good dSLR camera.

Now is the time to REALLY start thinking about an advanced digital camera such as the KM-5D, the Oly E-500, or a Pentax 1st DS. The Canon S-2 just will not eventually cut it. Just a twinkle to make you think a little.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 8:16 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Default

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Why not save some hard earned money-

Sooner or later the Canon S-2, no matter how good it is, will give way to a good dSLR camera.

Now is the time to REALLY start thinking about an advanced digital camera such as the KM-5D, the Oly E-500, or a Pentax 1st DS. The Canon S-2 just will not eventually cut it. Just a twinkle to make you think a little.

MT¬*

Thanks for the suggestions... it's a thought. I know I'm not going to find anything "small" like my Sony as I need more power.... I'll look into these!
Thanks
ErinH729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 8:18 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Default

swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
David French wrote:
Quote:
Check out the Fujifilm S5200 and S9000.
The S9000 is probably both too expensive and too large for her.¬* I would cross that one out base on her criteria.¬* The S5200 is a decent camera, but it's larger than the S2, which "may" put it out of her interest (not sure)...?
the cost and size isn't a MAJOR issue at this point. I want somethign that isn't going to frustrate me quality wise so quickly more than I want something on the smaller size. I suspect I'll be SOCCER MOM for some time to come so... I'd rather just bite the bullet now. ...
thanks!
ErinH729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:52 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 245
Default

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Sooner or later the Canon S-2, no matter how good it is, will give way to a good dSLR camera.
I do not agree with this statement. Not everyone feels the need to upgrade to a dSLR.

ErinH729 wrote:
Quote:
I suspect I'll be SOCCER MOM for some time to come so... I'd rather just bite the bullet now. ...
thanks!
There was a game I went to a couple months ago, and there was some girl (maybe in her mid/late 20's) on the other side taking pictures with some big dSLR camera in hand. A dSLR will definitely provide the best quality. But, you are sacrificing size and cost. You can always make more money (one problem solved!) :-), but you can't exactly shrink a dSLR...

Good luck.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:09 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Default

swgod98 wrote:
[quote]mtclimber wrote:
Quote:

There was a game I went to a couple months ago, and there was some girl (maybe in her mid/late 20's) on the other side taking pictures with some big dSLR camera in hand.¬* A dSLR will definitely provide the best quality.¬* But, you are sacrificing size and cost.¬* You can always make more money (one problem solved!) :-), but you can't exactly shrink a dSLR...

Good luck.
True.... I may compromise and get a decent one and I can always borrow their grnadfather's Sony F828 for a few games...
Make more money.. that's a better idea but I'm a designer!
:-)
ErinH729 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:39 PM.