Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2005, 6:22 PM   #11

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
If you are wishing to discuss low light shooting situations at full zoom, then the Canon has a slight edge, however, the high ISO capability of the Fuji 5200 should not be discounted either.
Actually the aperture range between these two at full zoom is the same (F3.5), unless you are referring to other aspects...At wideangle is where the Canon (F2.7)has the larger aperture (S5200 is at F3.2).
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 7:11 PM   #12

That's what I was worried about, how the Fuji does in low either WA or TP in both low and daylight because of the aperture but the ISO settings can make up for that right? How good id the Fuji in WA? I found the P850 for a decent price so I'm seriously considering it but I'm concered about a few things. For one, how is battery life? I'm plaaning on buying some rec. batteries along with the camera. Is noise an issue from ISO 50 to 400? I know the Fuji has low noise compared to others in its class.
FordGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:52 PM   #13

FordGT-

It is just my personal opinion, because I own both digital cameras, but both the Fuji S-5200 and the Kodak P-850 will show some noise at high ISO settings. However, the noise issue is easily addressed with software such as Neat Image or Noise Ninja.

Keep in mind that the Fuji S-5200 has a huge advantage with a max ISO setting of 1600 over the Kodak P-850's max ISO setting of 400. The battery life on the Fuji S-5200 is 300 photos plus. The battery life on the Kodak P-850 is no more than 250 photos at best.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 4:25 PM   #14

Thank you for the replies,

I'm new to these type of cameras, so I hope you don't mind a few more questions. I have searched the forums but cannot find the answers anywhere!

My first is about the mm of the lenses. The Kodak P850's is 36mm while the Fuji S5200/5600's is 38mm. I read a post about the Fuji's not being good for architecture, but what exactly does this mean? That the image is closer than say with a 28mm lens? And would the Fuji work for photos like those below taken with my Kodak CX6330 as the lens on that is 37mm. First two are with Macro, third is in AUTO mode. Photos have been compressed in PS and shrunk with ImageShack file host.

I have also read the review on this site of the P850 and while it seems to do well in most areas, the photos do seems noisy up close while the Fuji and Sony H1 don't. Does noise mean more detail though? I can buy the Kodak for $422 shipped, and the Fuji for $399. I still have no clue as to which to buy. Although I have ruled out the Sony due to the amount of CA.

Old Nov 26, 2005, 5:42 PM   #15
E.T

FordGT wrote:
Quote:
My first is about the mm of the lenses. The Kodak P850's is 36mm while the Fuji S5200/5600's is 38mm. I read a post about the Fuji's not being good for architecture, but what exactly does this mean? That the image is closer than say with a 28mm lens?
It means that Fuji doesn't have any real wide angle, smaller focal length gives wider field of view while longer gives narrower.
So if you're trying to take photo from some building you'll easily end up taking steps backwards to fit building into photo...
or what's worse, while taking photo inside you'll hit to wall and still can't fit everyone to photo.
(also with lansdcapes small walking backwards doesn't work)

Such grave fault is easy to forget in the middle of all this touting about these ultrazooms (whose longest tele reach is mandatory only for wild animal photography), doesn't it?

But on the other hand it's sometimes funny to look others do that walking backwards while I myself could go even couple steps closer. :G

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Keep in mind that the Fuji S-5200 has a huge advantage with a max ISO setting of 1600...
Fuji's F10 definitely had quite good higher ISO capability with very clean photos (although higher ISOs were clean because of watercolor processing).
In S9000/9500 they screwed up really well by adding more megapixels without increasing size of CCD which resulted lot of noise even despite of that watercolor processing which destroys finer details already at ISO800.
On the other hand S5200 has slightly less megapixels but they decreased size of sensor full one step so I wonder how they managed this time.
mtclimber, could you took photos like in that test above, maybe starting from ISO200 (lower are surely good) and then post results in similar manner with smaller area "full size" crops?
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 6:38 PM   #16

So would the Fuji's 2mm difference be really noticable?
Old Nov 27, 2005, 4:43 AM   #17
E.T

FordGT wrote:
Quote:
So would the Fuji's 2mm difference be really noticable?
Depends on will that few degrees wider FOV fit everything you need to photo.
I mostly meant 28mm with that, because all ultrazooms really lack any good wide angle.

FordGT wrote:
Quote:
I read somewher that in order to take a bright daytime waterfall photo, you would need a slower shutter speed, say around 1/30 sec and then change to a smaller aperture to allow less light in. But it stated that in order to properly do this you must have a larger fstop number to not get an overexposed image. Can any of these cameras properly achieve this effect?
Propably you'll need neutral density (ND) filter for that unless light level isn't dimmer than full daylight. So if camera has filter threads or way to attach those that would be plus.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote