Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:29 PM   #1

I currently have a 3.1 mp Kodak CX6330, which is a great camera, but I am looking for more. I've been reading tons of reviews about 3 cameras: The Kodak P850, the Sony H1, and the Fuji S5200. I can't really decide which is right for me or if any of them are. I mainly take close-up photos, such as my diecast collection both inside under diffused lights and outside photos of them but I also like to take the usual outdoor photos of people, plants and such. I need something with good zoom which these three have and awith ability to take night shots.

I had a question about aperture too. From what I've read, the smaller the fstop number, the larger the opening, and the opposite for a smaller opening. Which one has the best aperture range?

And another question dealing with aperture/shutter speed. I read somewher that in order to take a bright daytime waterfall photo, you would need a slower shutter speed, say around 1/30 sec and then change to a smaller aperture to allow less light in. But it stated that in order to properly do this you must have a larger fstop number to not get an overexposed image. Can any of these cameras properly achieve this effect? Hope you can give me some advice about which camera meets my needs and about aperture.

FordGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:33 PM   #2

fordGT-

In my humble opinion the Fuji S-5200 is clearly the better choice. It handles macro or close-up photos quite well.

Only use a very slow shutter speed such as 1/30th of a second, if you want the water flow to look blurred.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 4:23 AM   #3

new P850 pics for you at

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18

Cheers nugget
nugget_finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 6:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies

I went to a store yesterday to try each of them out. Unfortunately they didn't have the Fuji but the other three were there.

The Kodak zoom is loud! The blurry LCD while zooming is also another drawback. It does feel good in hand however. The Canon also feels solid and the zoom is much better.

I also have a question regarding lenses. From what I can tell, the Canon doesn't have the best aperture range while the Kodak goes from 2.8-8.

I've read the Fuji S5200/5600's lens doesn't capture a wide enough photo compared to the Kodak or the Canon, but is it really noticable?

FordGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 7:29 PM   #5

If you are wishing to discuss low light shooting situations at full zoom, then the Canon has a slight edge, however, the high ISO capability of the Fuji 5200 should not be discounted either.

MT
Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:54 PM   #6

I too have been looking at the Kodak P850, the Canon IS 2S, and the Panasonic FZ20.

Ive found plenty of reviews on the Canon and Panasonic, but very little on the Kodak P850. Where have you found reviews for the Kodak?

Any advice, suggestions, criticism on any of the above cameras?

Thank.......
aztec506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 9:18 PM   #7

Aztec-

The professional reviews will be out shortly. However, I was asked to do a "non-professional" review, as I do digital camera workshops around the world.

For what it is worth, IMHO, the P-850 is a huge leap ahead for Kodak, but still a bit behind the real competition, such as the Sony H-1, and the Panasonic FZ-5.

If you are a REAL Kodak fan and love, over saturation, then you will rate the Kodak P-850 very close to HOT popcorn.

MT
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:16 AM   #8

If you are a REAL Kodak fan and love, over saturation, then you will rate the Kodak P-850 very close to HOT popcorn.

Over saturation = outstanding colors, and is popcorn better hot or cold?
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 2:54 PM   #9

So what is the difference between Panasonic's FZ5 and FZ20?
aztec506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 5:31 PM   #10

Among other things, size and a hot shoe.

MT