Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:26 AM   #1

I'm on the lookout for a new camera and I am torn between these two. My main requirements are for a digital compact with decent battery life, good image quality, speedy operation and some manual controls.

I was pretty much set on the Casio for its alround features, very quick, excellent battery life, great movie mode and excellent interface. My only real concerns with this camera are the reported lens error issues.

I haven't found any real reviews of the F11 although the low light shooting of the F10 really seems impressive and I could use this a lot. My concerns with this camera are the slightly bigger size, XD cards instead of SD, poorer movie mode and clunky interface.

It seems to me that the Casio may have less concerns but would the F11 give me better quality images in general? My shooting needs are very mixed but I would like a camera that can capture fairly quick action shots as well scenery (day and night) and social situations.
donka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2005, 10:05 PM   #2

As a Fuji F-10 owner of about 9 months, I would suggest that the F-11 is the better choice, based on your requirements. I initially purchased a Casio 750Z and had to return it as defective.

The F-11, like the F-10, will have phenominal battery life and will take wonderful photos. I have attached a sample F-10photo.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 10:43 PM   #3

I have had my Z750 for the better part of the year with no problems. A Casio rep said they had beefed up the lens gearing to obviate lens errors and I haven't heard about them so much lately. Hopefully it has been fixed. I just carry mine with the mode dial in audio record mode. I find I use the audio recorder more, but it is still a little bit of a hassle. You won't get a lens error in audio record because it is accidental lens extensions in pockets etc that cause the error, and it doesn't extend the lens in audio mode.

Other than the potential lens error I really like the camera. It has the best control setup I've seen and the images have been excellent. The movies are good and I really like the past movie mode. You just aim the camera and wait for something to happen. When it does you start recording and it records the previous 5 seconds from the buffer and continues recording. That saves a lot of editing. Combined with the MPEG4 you can take a lot of good movies.

Battery life is also excellent on the Z750. I can fill a 1 Gig card with best quality images and don't even seem to dent the battery. I think it might fill a 2 Gig card.

The F10 wasn't a consideration for me as it is point and shoot with no optical viewfinder and a LCD dpreview reported to be hard to see in sunlight. I take most of my shots in sunlight here in Florida. And I like to have manual controls when I need them.

If the F11 had been available it would be a tough choice. The LCD is upgraded and might be better in sunlight. It evidently doesn't have manual focus, but it has aperture and shutter priority. I haven't seen anything about full manual exposure which I use more than shutter and aperture priority. You would still have problems acquiring moving targets without an optical finder – especially at zoom. But it has a lot going for it with the high ISO capability. Assuming the same lens system as the F10, that is excellent as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 1:31 AM   #4

The LCD is actually quite easy to view in direct sunlight except for the fact that you may be squinting. If wearing sunglasses, it is fairly easy to frame a shot in the LCD. I do miss manual controls, but the F10 makes up for this with it's incredible low noise capabilities. I really find that to be extremely useful, and have captured some great pictures I could not, since I'd have to use the flash or have a tripod handy. The Casio is a great cam from what I've seen, but I need the low noise ISO capabilities. You just have to weight what your needs.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 5:07 AM   #5

Read a lot of good reviews on the Fuji finepix that costs around $500 but it is the best around for the money. Saw the results. Wow. Friend has it. Handles contrast much better then most cameras. Even skin tones in the sun!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Go to www.digitalreview.com I think it is.
mesibov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 6:34 AM   #6

Great shot MTClimber - what settings are they and was a tripod used?
donka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:05 AM   #7

donka-

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Yes, the camera was indeed on a tripod. I will have to go back anf check for sure but I do recall that I did hold the ISO down and went for the long exposure, as the camera was on a tripod.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"MT
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:07 AM   #8

slipe-

I certainly agree with you either digicam will do a good job. My Casio 750Z was one of the very first, so I am please to hear that the problem was solved in the later production run.

MT