Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2005, 3:12 PM   #1

I am buying this camera for my mother for her birthday.She is retiring this year and plans on alot of traveling. She wants a long range lense, but anything else negotiable. She hates computers, but wants to go digital. Anyone who could point me in the right direction, i would really appreciate it.
dandux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2005, 8:53 PM   #2

The Nikon D-50 and the Fuji S-9000 are about the same size, the Sony H-1 is smaller. Is size a factor? Is price a factor? Will she do any photo post processing? Or is she expecting to use the photos right out of the camera?

If size IS a factor, and price IS a factor, and there will be no post processing, then go for the SONY H-1

If things are different, let's talk a bit more, please.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:59 AM   #3

Mtmlimber, thank you so much for your reply. Price is not really a factor. I do want to spend less than $800 for everything. I have found all 3 in that price range. I found the Nikon D50 for $750 with two lenses and the Fuji with the 300 mm lense for about $600. After reading other posts it seems to methat having the ability to change lenses could be a big plus fora camera, although I do not know how bothersome it is to have to carry more than onelense when traveling. I also like the manual zoom of the Fuji and Nikon, which the Sony does not have. Size does not really matter. There will be little to no post processing, except maybe red eye reduction. I guess i am now leaning more toward the Fuji or Nikon for her. Could you reccommend one between these two? Or maybe there is another you like better? I really appreciate the help.
dandux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:53 AM   #4

Generally speaking, the images from a dSLR will require some post processing, whereas in a pinch you can sometimes do without pp for images from a fixed lens digital camera. Also keep in mind that ALL raw images will require pp.

MT
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:28 PM   #5

dandux wrote:
Quote:
Mtmlimber, thank you so much for your reply. Price is not really a factor. I do want to spend less than $800 for everything. I have found all 3 in that price range. I found the Nikon D50 for $750 with two lenses and the Fuji with the 300 mm lense for about $600. After reading other posts it seems to methat having the ability to change lenses could be a big plus fora camera, although I do not know how bothersome it is to have to carry more than onelense when traveling. I also like the manual zoom of the Fuji and Nikon, which the Sony does not have. Size does not really matter. There will be little to no post processing, except maybe red eye reduction. I guess i am now leaning more toward the Fuji or Nikon for her. Could you reccommend one between these two? Or maybe there is another you like better? I really appreciate the help.

Is your mom a photography buff? Is she experiencedin photography? A DSLR might be a little much if she isn't, but absolutely the right choice if she used to have 35mm SLR's andwants to lug around those extra lenses.Really a tough call without that info. All of the cameras you are looking at are of good quality. I have looked at the Fuji S9000, but it lacks image stabilization. An alternative to the Sony or Fuji is also the Panasonic FZ20 or FZ30. Have you looked at those?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:38 PM   #6

A small clarification, if I might. The Fuji S-9000 does not have IS at all. Neither does the Nikon D-50. The Sony H-1 does have IS. IS is not a really necessaryrequirement at all. However, do keep in mind that IS is only helpful in low light conditions and when using slow shutter speeds.

The lack of any real post processing does put the Nikon D-50 and the Fuji S-9000 at something of a disadvantage, as their images straight out of the camera are somewhat on the flat side. It is there that the Sony H-1 will have an slight advantage.

An excellent point has been made. If your Mom has some past film SLR experience, the transition to a dSLR such as the D-50 will be easier. Otherwise, lacking that experience, a dSLR can be a daunting challenge.

Another dSLR to seriously consider is the Olympus E-500 two lens kit. It is priced right and those two lenses will cover the very same 28mm to 300mm focal lengths exactly likely the Fuji S-9000. The E-500 is a very capable camera that can easily configured to work just like a point and shoot digital camera that give you great photos. The very familiar Auto Mode, Auto ISO, and Scene Modes all make things user friendly and yield great photos. So please take a good look at the Olympus E-500, I was very pleasantly surprised when I received my E-500. Plus I got great photos. And best of all by using the Vivid Modevirtually nopost processing was required.

MT