Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2005, 1:25 AM   #1

I will be going on a photographic safari to South Africa. What is the best digital camera to buy. The scenery and wildlife should be spectacular. Will need to be able to use zoom type lenses. Would like to keep the price under $900.

Thanks!!
Doctor Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2005, 3:58 AM   #2
E.T

Sure best would be DSLR with wide angle lens for lanscape shots, normal zoom and very long image stabilised tele zoom, but price of that combination might be higher than safari itself. (and changing lenses wouldn't propably be fun)

So I would suggest checking long zoom cameras with image stabilisation, like Panasonic FZ30, KonicaMinolta Z5 (Z6 has just more megapixels and noise) and Canon Powershot S2 IS.
FZ30 is most SLR like and has best manual controls (like mechanical zoom control), others are meant more to cheaper class of more compact ultra-zooms.

Also Samsung has new model with 28-420mm zoom but it lacks image stabilisation which is really "long" minus.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 10:13 AM   #3

ET-

The safari might indeed be the perfect venue for the Fuji S-9000. There would be no lens changing at all and you could go from 28mm to 300mm in a short twist of the wrist with great battery endurance, as well. Just a thought.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:01 AM   #4
E.T

Considering there will be 100% sure much shooting of animals from different distances I would keep long tele as more useful.

On the other hand there's definitely lot of sunlight available there and shortness of twilight time greatly lessens time when IS helps so that Samsung 815 with its 28-420mm zoom could work well even without IS.

PS. While in here cloudy day is now almost just long twilight.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 5:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I have not looked at the various cameras yet, but am inclined towards the Canon because I can use rechargeable AA batteries and can probably buy them anywhere if I run out.

Regarding memory cards. Are all memory cards the same, or are some faster than others and how can I tell before I buy them.
Doctor Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 6:22 PM   #6

If you really want to get the best quality photos, get a DSLR.

I'd recommend taking a look at a Nikon D50 or a Canon Rebel XT. Both excellent DSLR's under $900.

I'm not sure which lens you might need, you could check with the Safari people.

My guess is for animals your going to need a telephoto zoom.

Check out the Canon 70-200 F4 lens, at just under $600.

I know this is probably pushing your budget a little, but if you're taking the trip of your lifetime, why skimp on photos?

And you can use the camera when you return for many years of enjoyment.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote