Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2005, 1:06 PM   #1

I'm thinking between the Panasonic DMC-LC1 (not even considering the Leica version, since it's not available where I live) and the following DSLRs- Nikon D70 or D50 or Canon EOS 350D with a not very expensive lens.
I've obviously seen a lot of discussion about the price of the Panasonic, but I guess it's gone down here- it's possible to buy one for around $800. Do you think it's worth it or is it still better to get a DSLR?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Ninzaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2005, 1:57 PM   #2

Have you considered the Panasonic DMC-FZ30? I think it may be less expensive than the DMC-LC1 and it's a good camera: 8 MP, 12x optical zoom. Another cool feature that's been displayed and discussed in the Panasonic forum is the ability to change the settings to 3 MP and 19X optical zoom. That is an awesome reach!

Also, the Nikon and Canon cameras you're considering are DSLR's and the Panasonics are not. The Nikon and Canon will give you outstanding pictures but you will have to invest in extra lenses to get zoom capacities like the Panasonics (especially the FZ30). You may want to consider whether you want to start building a system, which you will have to do with the Canon and Nikon cameras you've mentioned, or want to get all-in-one cameras like the Panasonics. Each choice has its pros and cons.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 2:12 PM   #3
E.T

Like Ladyhawk just pointed out those are from entirely different ends of spectrum... one is actually ordinary compact camera without any practical manual settings.
So first of all for what kind use you need that camera?

And neither DSLRs make photographs automatically anyway better, most important thing is still knowing how to use camera.

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
Another cool feature that's been displayed and discussed in the Panasonic forum is the ability to change the settings to 3 MP and 19X optical zoom.* That is an awesome reach!
There goes my trust to human specie's thinking capability... once again!
:angry:

That's not optical zoom, that's purely PR Bullshit and cheat(/digital) zoom: it won't bring any new details, it just crops picture by taking center of it.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
-Douglas Adams

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so."
-Bertrand Russell

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote