Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2005, 9:04 PM   #1

I'm trying to decide which of these 3 cameras to buy. I want the 12x zoom with IS that these offer and also a minimum of 5 megapixels. Olympus, Fuji, Nikon are not on my list because of lack of IS.

The Panasonic and Kodak support TIFF files, the Canon only Jpegs. The Kodak offers RAW, but can only be used with its own software.

I have read the Canon's flash is manual. Unless you pop it up, it wont go off.

Any advice, pros/cons, suggestions, preferences, etc. on the three cameras?

I've found plenty of reviews on the Canon and Panasonic, but very few on the Kodak, I assume because it is newer.

Thanks in advance, I'm really hung on which one to buy.
aztec506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2005, 9:12 PM   #2

aztec-

The best is the Canon S2, the least is the Kodak P-850. How do I know? I have owned both.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 9:28 PM   #3

You can show you my pictures from Kodak P850 here:
http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=18

Panasonic Z-30 or Kodak P880 seems better!

nugget_finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:55 PM   #4

nuggetfinder-

Or perhaps you may desire to go with my digital photos instead becauseI alsoown a Kodak P-850 as well. For starters, let's take a look at a no flash, long zoom example, shall we?

Here it is for your evaluation. Do you have another example that we can evaluate, even more?

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 4:41 AM   #5

I was choosing between the same cameras just a few weeks ago. (I posted a question here but no one replied :sad

I rejected the Canon because I particularly wanted a flash hotshoe. The P850 was very new, the early reviews were a little doubtful and I decided that I wouldn't have the time to mess around with RAW files anyway. So I went for the Panasonic FZ20 which has a devoted following although it is 'last years camera'. I assume that the P880 and FZ30 that another poster mentioned are outside your budget (they were outside mine!).

I 've had my camera2 weeks now and so far I'm delighted with it. It's my first digital camera so I don't know any better but it replaced a film SLR. The FZ20 is at clearance prices now and I doubt that it will be available for much longer, many of the UK based e-tailers are already sold out for good.

You have to pop the flash by hand on the FZ20 too (unless there's something in the manual I've missed)
Hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:21 AM   #6

Hi Hendy

The P880 and the FZ30 arent out of my budget, but I consider the FZ30 a bit heavy and big, and the P880 doesnt have as much zoom as I wanted.

Thanks for your input.

Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:03 PM   #7

You have to choose the camera that is best for you and has the features you want.

In my case I needed a hot shoe, IS, and RAW. Of the three cameras you mentioned only the P850 had all three.

The FZ20 has a hot shoe and as for P850 RAW files, PolyView with the KDC library will read the P850s RAW files. I use it to convert the files to uncompressed TIFF files to edit in Photoshop Elements.

KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:30 PM   #8

Thanks Kenny,

I keep changing my mind :}

I was ready to order the Panasonic FZ20, then I started reading reviews that stated that there was a little noise at ISO 80, and more at higher levels (I assume the reviews meant that it had more noise in comparison to the other two cameras that I was looking at). The reviews of the Canon dont mention noise as a problem as much as the Panasonic.

When I tried all three cameras at Fry's the stabilization on the Panasonic was best hands down. I was very impressed. But I dont want to have to deal with high noise levels. If its inherent in all three cameras, I can live with it.

I like the Canon, but was disappointed that its only has Jpeg.

Guess Ill read some more reviews, geez.

David
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:46 AM   #9

Hi aztec506,
Finding a good camera sometimes can be quite difficult.
Until now I'm still waiting to see any new model that suit me.
I only need few things:
1. Image Stabilizer
2.12x optical zoom
3. Aspect ratio 3:2
4. Min 5MP
5. With higher ISO and low noise (such as Fuji F10) capable for ISO 1600.

Actually I find some meet that criteria: but those are DSLRs, too big, too heavy and also too expensive for me.
I hv tried Canon IS2S, the IS seem working quite well, I like Canon IS 2S, for ISO until 400, actually I can accept it, but what I can't accept is the AR only 4:3 :roll:
FZ20 beside noise also don't hv AR 3:2.
Kodak P850 seem the closer to my criteria at this moment.
For now I'm still waiting, hopefullynext year they will come out with new model, maybe higher resolution and ISO:-)
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:40 PM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Here it is for your evaluation. Do you have another example that we can evaluate, even more? MT
MT, very nice object! I will post a example when I shot it! n.
nugget_finder is offline   Reply With Quote