Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:56 PM   #1

I am looking at getting into a DSLR camera.* I currently have Canon SD300, but its for simple point and shoot, thats it.* I am looking at getting a good camera for pictures that I will be taking at a couple weddings, a graduation, and some trips I plan on taking.* I want to learn how to take a good picture, and I want a good camera to do that with, but I am just an amatuer, so those $1500+ no lens camera's are probably not for me.I read Steve's review on the 5D.* I really liked the price first off.* I liked how it has the Anti Shake feature, which is nice since my hand isn't that steady.I want to stay under $1000, thats with the camera, lens, case, and memory card (atleast 1GB).* I want to take pictures in RAW format.* I was also looking into that new Apple software for photo editing, Aperture, but thats another story.Please help me out.* I know there are probably a ton of Pro's here (who were once starters like me) that can offer me some useful information about this.
slick316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:58 AM   #2

The KM 5D is a great camera. Of course, anything beyond P&S capability may require some investment in time to learn how to use the camera properly. If you're willing to do this, then I'd highly recommend the KM 5D for you! Good luck!
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 3:47 PM   #3

Thats the thing, I am going to learn to use the camera to the fullest, there is no reason to buy one just for plain P&S.* I just want to make sure that I get a good enough camera thats not overboard for my needs.Basically, my first choice is the 5D, then the 7D, then maybe the Nikon D50 and the Canon Rebel XT.* I'm going to check out a local place that sells all the above, maybe I can work a deal out with them on a package or something.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 4:29 PM   #4

slick-

Along with seriously analyzing of each camera's specifications, determining how those various possible camera choices actually feel in hand is also avery important step in making a final choice.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 6:25 PM   #5

Rather than dole out cash for Apple's RAW software, try RAWSHOOTER, it's free.

Rawshooter is pretty effective. You can upgrade to the full software for $59.

They also plan to sell "plug-ins" for more advanced usage.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 7:18 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions.I am definately going to get a feel for each camera, I understand that a camera the size of a DSLR needs to be comfortable for prolonged use.* Luckily for me, there is a place locally that has all sorts of cameras for me to play with I will take into consideration the RAWSHOOTER software (its made for MAC's right?) .* The Aperture app looked nice, and I can get it for a good price with the student discount (plus it would give me an excuse to use my G5 computer more).I am going to check them out tomorrow, I'll post tomorrow, my findings (I'm compulsive, so don't be shocked if I end up posting "I bought a new....")
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:10 PM   #7

Well, you guessed it, bought a new camera today.Looked at the offerings from Minolta, Nikon, and Canon and in the end, the package deal I got for the Canon was too good to pass up.The Nikon felt a little too big in my hands, but it was nice overall.* I just liked the feel of the Canon most.* Plus, I was able to get large capacity CF/Microdrive for the Canon, I wasn't aware that the Nikon used SD cards, not a huge deal, I just figured that Microdrives now into the 8GB size, all DSLR cameras used them.I got the Canon Digital Rebel XT, 18-55 lens, Starter kit (case and extra battery), 3GB Microdrive, and a tripod for $999.* It was everything I could need, and more.Now I just need to learn how to use it manually.* I can function with it easily in auto mode, but the point of the camera was for me to be able to fine tune my shots, I think I will pick up a book from Barnes and Noble, help me get the terminology and such down.Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate the time and effort.