Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:35 AM   #1

I need to get a very portable camera that's also very good at recording video+sound, and ofcourse... the quality of the stills need to be acceptable too. I'll be buying this around mid of Feb-2006 so, suggestions for upcoming models are also appreciated.

Right now I have my eye on the Casio S600 or the Z750. From the videos on the Casiosite etc. I know the latter model is the better one but without ultra-portability of the S600.

Does anyone know of any other make+models that are particularly good at videos? I need at least 640x480 @ 30fps with goodsound. The stills could be around 5MP but should have good sharpness and color (for a non-pro). Also, what's the best/easiest format for videoon still cameras to put on DVDs... MPEG4/MJPEG... AVI or Quicktime?

Thanks a heap to anyone who can answer the questions, in advance!

NS.
NeonSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:28 AM   #2

The Sanyo C40 and C6 have just been released, are available in Japan andEuropeand should make it to North America soon. Check out the Sanyo forum for more info, sample images and videos from these cameras. Steve's digicams has in-depth reviews of thecurrent models, the C4 and the C5.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:01 AM   #3

Thanks. The C6 does look great.

For my requirements the only benefit the C6 has to offer over the Casio Z750 is the stereo audio recording and maybe the video zoom. From the C5 samples I saw in the above links, the stills weren't really acceptable compared to the ones produced by the Z750. I noticed the Z750 also produces as good (or better?) videos (with the sound aside ofcourse).

Are my observations fairly accurate? Or am I totally off?

NS
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:44 AM   #4

Your opinion is what counts, it's your purchase.But yes, for stills the C5 is a5Mp and the the Z750 is a 7Mp with a bigger/better lens. Can you point me to the video samples you've seenfor the Z750? The only one I've seen so far is the one right here from Steve's digicams, the boat, it consumes 4Mbps yethas jerkymotion.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:36 PM   #5

Sorry about that... I was going to include the url to the samples I've seen. They're from the Casio global site since I'll be making the purchase in Singapore.

http://world.casio.com/exilim/en/

I'm more interested in the reduced noise in the Z750 sample stillscompared to the C5 ones, than the 5MP vs. 7MP issue. Also some of the C5 outdoor sample stills look a bit like a watercolour filter was applied on them to some extent (I noticed this on the tree leaves).

I have tried out the Casio Z750 and S500 here in Australia at a store and the Z750 didn't create any jerky videos.

I know how people say the manufacturer samples shouldn't be trusted, but their performance is similar to the times I've tried it out myself and the S600 samples on the Casio global site has some jerky parts, although it seems to be promoted as Casio's latest video digicam. (Some honesty by Casio perhaps?)

Let me know what you think about the samples in the Casio global site.

Thanks!

NS

Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:16 AM   #6

Thanks for the link (I should have looked there:?) and info. Yes those samples on Casios's site look really good. Although they are shot mostlyimmobile on tripod, it would be niceto see more real world examples. Isvideo good in low light? Did you look and see the jerkiness in the boat sample on Steve'sDigicam's review? Is that the user shaking or does the camerahaveproblems with MPEG-4's "motion estimation" feature, likewhen a busy scene pans. But those Casio samples look good, I guess the only downside I see is, as you pointed out,the optical zoom doesn't function during movie modeand the mono audio despite the relatively high (for MPEG-4)4Mbps rate (~34 min. in 1GB?). Stills are great... looks like a real nice compact camera.Perhaps the S600 and Z750 have the same "Exilim engine".
Old Nov 24, 2005, 3:09 AM   #7

I don't think it's the user shaking it. It could be due to that motion estimation thing you mentioned. I haven't really looked into what additional stuff Casio maybe doing to its videos. But I don't think it's a problem with MPEG4 since there's such a lot of MPEG4 based formats and mediaout there and they're not like this.

As you say, if the S600 borrows its video works from the Z750, then that boat sample is scarey. When I tried the Z750 out I particularly tried moving it slowly and fast to see if anything weird goes on and nothing like that was apparent on its screen during playback.

The Sanyo C6 does sound like a good thing. But I just might end up getting the S600 despite its jerky high-res video due to its dimensions. The reason why I'm getting a new camera is also because the existing one I have is bulky and it won't fit easily with my mobile phone and PDA together in a small pocket in my backpack.

Are there any good cameras slimmer than the S600?

Thanks!

Old Nov 24, 2005, 3:10 AM   #8

I suspect that the z750 video sample on Steve's review is taken using a tripod as the video does notshake vertically at all. The jerking could be causeby rotating the tripod top with the boat, which will give such jerking effect as it is not smooth.

All my z750 videos does not display such jerking effect.....he he
Brainstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 5:09 AM   #9

Thanks for the verification. Could the jerking be caused by the flash memory speed?
Old Nov 26, 2005, 7:38 PM   #10

Might notpass your image quality requirements, but I'll mention it anyhow since it's ultra-compact, does pretty good video and is an MP3 player as well. The Samsung Digimax i50 MP3. It encodes in Xvid MPEG-4 with MPEG audio with fairly good results at 2Mbps, half the bit rate of the Casio's 4Mbps (partly because it uses the Microsoft MPEG-4 v1.1 codec with PCM audio). Camera details at Samsung.

Edit: Oh, and the optical zoom can be utilized whilerecording movies.