Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:44 PM   #1

I've been doing some looking for a new digicam lately.. I would like at least 5MP and a powerful optical zoom somewhere in the 200-300 range.. Since I'm upgrading from a CF based camera I'm pretty much going to need new media so that doesn't matter. Another thing I like about these two is the fact they can use regular AA batteries if your in a pinch. The ability to use wide angle lenses and filters is another plus..

So far I've come across two that I can get well within my price range.

The Kodak Easy Share Z740, and the Konica Minolta DiMage Z20.

So what's everyones thoughts? Any other suggestions similar to these two?

Many thanks in advance!
scoob8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:15 PM   #2

scoob-

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but I have seen very little success with the K-M Z-20. As far as Kodak goes, the new P-850 with IS is the better camera. If price is a problem stick with the Z-740.

I have a Kodak P-850 that I use as a class loaner and most everyone loves it.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 9:06 PM   #3

Wow, the p-850 is pretty nice.. Albiet a bit out of my price range..

IS would be a nice feature to have. Alas the Z740 is pushing my price boundry already. All things considered I'm upgrading from a Canon Powershot a300 which I'm not at all happy with at all. So, anything is a major upgrade..

What got my looking at Super Zoom camera is the G/F's Fuji Finepix 4900 that was handed down to her. However 2MP barely cuts it, plus the 64mb smart media cards are inferior IMHO..

I guess I'll take a look at the local camera shop and see what they let me play with.

Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:37 PM   #4

Good Luck! Your local camera store can be a real source of knowledge and info.

MT
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:14 PM   #5

Well, I've done some looknig and a lot more reading.. It looks like I can get the p-850 for right around $100 more then the z740.. The biggest seller for me is the IS and better lens. I think the manual features will give me plenty of room to grow.

I've pretty much talked myself into it. Just out of curiosity, aside from the obvious what is the added benefit of going from 5MP to 8MP (P-850 vs P-880)? I mean is the extra 3MP really worth an aditional $100?

Thanks again!
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:32 PM   #6

scoob-

I personally believe that the Kodak P-850could really be an excellent choice, and worth the extra money

MT
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:23 PM   #7

scoob8000 wrote:
Quote:
Well, I've done some looknig and a lot more reading.. It looks like I can get the p-850 for right around $100 more then the z740.. The biggest seller for me is the IS and better lens. I think the manual features will give me plenty of room to grow.

I've pretty much talked myself into it. Just out of curiosity, aside from the obvious what is the added benefit of going from 5MP to 8MP (P-850 vs P-880)? I mean is the extra 3MP really worth an aditional $100?

Thanks again!

The 880 is not an ultra-zoom, just 5x. But the benefit, other than just the pixel count, is a larger CCD, resulting in better, less noisy images. For your purpose, I'd recommend the p-850 to get the zoom you need. Of course, I am biased toward the Panasonic FZ20 which I own. It can now be gotten for under $400 and is a superb ultra-zoom. However, it does not take AA batteries.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:46 PM   #8

Well, I did it. I just ordered the P850 for $367 with free shipping.. The decision came after playing with it until the battery died at best buy..

I'll be sure to post some pics once I get it.

Thanks for everyones advice..

-Mike
Old Nov 25, 2005, 3:43 PM   #9

scoob8000 wrote:
Quote:
Well, I did it. I just ordered the P850 for $367 with free shipping.. The decision came after playing with it until the battery died at best buy..

I'll be sure to post some pics once I get it.

Thanks for everyones advice..

-Mike

Good luck, seems like a lot of camera for the price.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote