Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:44 AM   #1

I've been thinking of upgrading from my Panasonic FZ-15k to something with more creative control. My FZ-15 takes good pictures, but I'm into long exposures and the FZ-15 just isn't the right camera for it. I've looked at the 5D for its Anti-Shake system (got used to something similar in the FZ-15), but the E-500 for its dust removal system (seems that it could save me a few bucks in the long run). LCD size is of no matter to me, but speed is of relative importance. I'm leaning a bit towards the 5D, but can you make any reccomendations?
cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2005, 1:40 AM   #2

CYCLO-

Frankly, I think that the Oly E-500 is the better of these two digital cameras. It just has more color latitude and exposure dynamicsand is the better camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 3:38 AM   #3

cyclonetrain wrote:
Quote:
LCD size is of no matter to me, but speed is of relative importance. I'm leaning a bit towards the 5D, but can you make any reccomendations?
What kind of speed matters to you? Shutter speed, turn on speed, focusing speed, speed of recording to memory card, etc.??

I'm currently an oly fan/user, so I'd pick Olympus, --also for the optical quality of their lens series. The sequential shooting speed is a bit slower than the Canon XT, for example (2.5 fps versus 3 fps), but that kind of speed isn't important to me. I'd look at some of the major reviews and compare the two for various speeds if that's what's important.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 1:42 PM   #4

Things that's generally against Oly is the smaller sensor for the 4/3 format, and the resulting noise issue at the higher ISO range (400-1600). And the fact that Oly can only use the new 4/3 system lens. Although adding up the new lens from 3rd party manufacturer and the OEM the Oly and KM are probably close, KM has a wide variety of cheap(and often VERY GOOD) used lens that can be trace back to the original AF lens for Minolta(mid 80s).

5D, compare to E-500(which if I had been patient enough to wait another month before I buy the5D,I'd be in the same shoe as you are, picking probably between these 2), has its weakness as well. 6MP can be an issue if you are into printing poster size print. The LCD is much lower resolution, and E500 supports 2 kinds of memory cards(CF and XD, good especially if you use Olys before with XD cards). However 5D with AS, which gives you an edge in low light photo(plus the good high ISO performance), and wide range of used lens and new lens to choose from, is IMO a better buy in which you save money in good lens, and you don't need to spend extra for image stablized lens.

I went with 5D, and I don't regret one bit, in the end both will probably be fantastic for shooting pics.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 4:02 PM   #5

Both cameras, or indeed any of the current crop of DSLR's will give great pictures but I think that in this case the 5D has the advantage.

The 5D has A/S, is fast and quick to start up, focus is accurate, very easy to use, has great colour and very low noise at high iso. Build quality is solid and there is always a wide range of lenses for sale on Ebay at cheap prices.

The Oly has no A/S, noise performance is far inferior at high iso (Recommended sensitivity ISO 100 - 400, images at ISO 800 usable, ISO 1600 not really - DPreview), the lens multiplier is 2X which means that wideangle is more of a problem and you will be very restricted on lens choice (not a lot on Ebay for example). The CCD cleaner is of course a plus point but means a slow startup (about 1.7 sec). 3 point AF (9 point on the 5D)
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 4:06 PM   #6
Administrator

Konica Minolta Masxum 5D

Nothing else even comes close in low light.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:44 AM   #7

Jim-

You are exactly correct. The K-M 5D is great in low light. So anyone considering it should ask themselves how many low light or nightphotos they actually take. As Ikki has said any of the low cost dSLR cameras will give excelent results.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote