Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:40 AM   #1

Hi

I am trying to decide which of the following cameras I should buy.

The Canon power shot A620

&

The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1

My last camera was a Fuji 3.5MP compact camera which I found was ok unless I was taking indoor shots,the results always looked very grainy with plenty of red eye.

I would like this camera to be able to give pleasing results whether I am taking general snaps of the family, close-up shots of items to be sold on eBay,taking pictures of aircraft flying at air shows.

Iv always liked the idea of having a "decent" zoom, especially after havingonly ever had a 3xzoom on a compact camera.

I have read good things about the A620, but after seeing it in the flesh I was a little disappointed in it, in terms of it looking and feeling very plasticy.

I am sure looks are not really an important factor of a camera, but I am afraid for me it is.

My budget is around the £270 mark, of which both of the above cameras fall into on Amazon!!

Thanks for any help
5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:11 AM   #2

Of the two cameras you are considering, I would take the Sony. However, that's because I like superzoom cameras. You like smaller,stylish cameras? I don't think you can get both superzoom and cutesy and good low light capablilties in a single camera.

I have a 5 megapixel Fuji S5200 with 10X optical zoom and pretty good low light capabliities. However, it kind of looks like a small SLR, not like a fashion statement. Its critics don't like its lack of image stabilization and its use of xD cards. I don't mind.

I would take the Sony H1. Once you have a decent superzoom camera, you will get hooked.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:39 AM   #3

Thanks robbo

Actualy im not thatinterestedin tiny trendy compacts, and the sony does look good anyway.

I cant believe how much cheeper it is on Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...698008-7248756

compared to £399 in some stores!

Its a little confusing reading some reviews on the Sony, it seems you always find someone that doesn't like some aspect ofthe camera, although I am hoping for someone like me (not an expert), Iwill find it more than adequate.

I take it the storage cards for this sony are ok? baring in mind I keep hearing how good SD cards are (not that I know much about that sort of thing anyway).

Also, I take it 5.1MP is adequate.

Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:50 PM   #4

5.1 megapixels is more than adequate for 8" X 10". I am sorry; I have never taken the time to figure out what A4 and A3 and the like mean.

SD cards are cheap andeasy to find.

There is no camera in your price range that is liked by all.

I would still pick the H1.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 4:33 PM   #5

Thanks again robbo

This H1 takes these Memory StickPRO Cards. Thats what I was wondering about - how they compare to SD, are they ok?

Either way, im really excitedabout buying one of these!!
Old Nov 22, 2005, 5:58 PM   #6
E.T

5hane wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again robbo
Memory Stick¬*PRO Cards.¬* Thats what I as wondering about - how they compare to SD, are they ok?
What do you think when those are Sony's proprietary stuff?
(don't expect them to be equally priced)

For airshow photos you would need at least average tele and especially good/actually useful manual focus, automatic focusing works only for slow moving objects.
Also button zoom might be "little" too slow for good framing.

For getting rid of red eyes completely you would need to use external flash, red eyes are caused when light of flash goes through eye's pupil and reflects back from retina whose blood vessels give red color to reflection.
So the closer the flash is to lens the worse red eyes you get... meaning very bad in (ultra)compacts.

So just don't expect too much...

Also check (Konica)Minolta, they have ultrazooms in same price class.

And here's price comparisons for UK prices
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/
http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/

robbo wrote:
Quote:
5.1 megapixels is more than adequate for 8" X 10". I am sorry; I have never taken the time to figure out what A4 and A3 and the like mean.
Use the Google, Luke.
http://www.paper-paper.com/A4-1.html

And yeah, ultra-zooms and pocket size are mutually exclusive, or actually it would be possible by using even smaller sensor size but noise level would be huge.
And for general photography real wide angle is much more useful than that longest reach of tele. That's why Samsung 815 is only ultra-zoom I might consider as only camera to use. (but lack of image stabilization and good manual controls would be huge minus)

And camera used to take these... KonicaMinolta A2. (28-200mm zoom)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:04 AM   #7

Wonderful pictures E.T!

This is difficult then: finding a camera that will cover all my interests,airshows would be only a tiny part of my photography.... I thought perhaps the Sonywould have been fine, but now I dont know :?

Anyway, I better not keep harping on about this, I just want to make sure I make the right choice

The Sony has to be better than my last camera!

Edit>

Iv just popped into a local store. The H1 certainly looks and feels the business :-)

Ichecked the speed of the zoom as well and I was impressed, certainly quicker than the A620, and it focused quickly as well.

So just maybe it will be exceptable at an airshow?

Old Nov 24, 2005, 6:34 AM   #8

Well I am about to part with my well earned cash.

I really hope I am making the right choice!

There are so many cameras to look at that its mind blowing, and I just don't want to end up feeling this isn't the one for me, but I think iv read just about every review going and compared it with other cameras.

Then I start reading that the camera can produce purple fringing?, so now I don't know what to think.

I suppose things were a lot simpler years ago before we had so much choice

If anyone uses this camera id love to hear what you think!!

Cheers

Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:13 PM   #9

I have looked at the H1 on amazon.com. Look at who provides this camera for them on their website onecall.com - has great ratings and very friendly on the phone. Cut through the middle man and go to the site - I think it may be a bit cheaper anyway.
runtothedaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 1:59 AM   #10

I don't want to encourage rash decisions, but whatever camera you buy now will be superceded by something else within 6 months. There are also other cameras with a slightly better X feature or Y feature. Of the 2 cameras you mentioned, I would still go with the Sony. If I wanted something similar but different, with IS, I would consider the Panasonic FZ-5 or FZ-20. Also Canon has a super zoom , the Canon S2 ISwith similar specs - all 3 are 5 megapixel, 12X optical zoom. I think they all use SD cards, which are cheap. The Sony does use regular, ol' AA batteries, which makes it easy to buy replacements.

Whatever you get will be a big improvement on what you have. Trust your gut; if you have thought about it and like the camera, go for it.