Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2005, 5:17 PM   #1

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ko...ew/index.shtml

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...ew/index.shtml

About charging&batteries

Quote fromthe first article:

"If you got the kit with the printer you'll get the NiMH pack, which is basically two 2300 mAh batteries in a plastic case. My understanding is that this battery can only be charged while the camera is on a camera or printer dock"

I'm not buying the printer.
The camera dock insert... is that a charger which I can put the camera in and have the batteries recharge? As long as I buy some NiMH batteries? Do they need to be Kodak NiMH batteries?

As far as I realize, the Minolta Z3 does not come with any kind of charger at all...?

About performance

The Kodak one usually has better image quality, right?
How much better would you say?
And what about taking photos indark places inside...For example at nightclub parties... Anybody got a clue which would be better? What about videos in semi-dark places like night clubs?

If that is the case, the only thing that disturbs me is that the Z3 has got the 30fps video mode while the other one is no good at videos. Z3 has also got the anti-shake, which I'm not quite sure how much it helps.

The kodak one also seems to eat less battery and is also 40€ cheaper.
But if it doesn't come with a charger I guess the Z3 competes with it even more (and that is mostly because of the videos).

I'd especially want to know what that

dufvasven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:45 PM   #2

The Kodak P-850 is a much better choice than either the Kodak Z740or the K-M Z-3. And it has a full 12X optical zoom with IS which are desireable features, thus making it worth the extra cost.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 5:41 PM   #3

Ah, I believe you, but that one is 100€ more expensive than the z3, and I'm not ready to spend that much on a camera.

The z740 is listed as one of the "best cameras" on this site, so it has to be worth it's price... more than the z3?

NEW QUESTION: z740 vs. z7590

Then there's the Kodak z7590, but that one is about 50€ more expensive than thez740 and has got about the same video specs. It does seem to have:

KODAK EASYSHARE Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery (1700 mAh)
KODAK EASYSHARE Li-Ion Rapid Battery Charger Kit

So that one has got a charger at least. Is this camera better in any way than the z740? Is there something to make up for that 50€ except the charger?I could get a battery charger for 10€ or so... Is this one better than such a charger?

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_GB
Old Nov 24, 2005, 9:10 PM   #4

The choice is of course absolutely yours! I was just possiblyattempting to forestall digital camera progression, where you purchase the less expensive digital model and in a year or less you purchase a more expensive digital camera, because you have "outgrown" your first choice.

Good luck and enjoy the search.

MT
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:06 PM   #5

I agree with the digital camera progression theory...

I am in the process of buying a camera and cannot decide between the P850 or the DSC-H1... I have always had a 35mm and want to go a little big so I that I have the ability to grow if I so choose.
runtothedaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:45 PM   #6

It really does save you money in the long term.

MT
Old Nov 25, 2005, 4:40 AM   #7

The z740 takes good quality pictures, definitely good enough for meand the 20fps 320x260 should be quite sufficient anyway. My budget was first 200€,so I've already stepped up 100 since I realized the super-zoom cameras did not exist in the 200-category.

On a shop I can get this for 300€ (+postage). 256mb is maybe a bit low, but a quite cheap package:

KODAK EasyShare Z740 + SD 256 Mb +Charger LR6(AA) V900 PC22 + 4rechargable NiMH LR6-battery (AA) 2500 mAh +PIX bridgeblack 15 x 9 x 11cm.

Is that a normal, good Nimh battery charger? It should be, since without the batteries&charger it's 30€ less. But is it?

This is probably my last post in this thread, so please take a minute to look at the choices.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 11:54 AM   #8

I was seriously considering the z740 when I made my purchase. The p850 was out of my budget range, but after getting a few replies here, and much research I decided to go with the p850.

One of my biggest issues with the z740 is it's jpeg compression. Even at high quality, jpegs are compressed more then I would like.

The other issue is it doesn't have image stabilization. I didn't think this was a big deal until I tried both models at the store. Taking a clear photo at anything over 5x zoom was nearly impossible without a tripod.

The z740 is a great camera, but if you can afford the $100 more I would certainly reconsider the p850.

Hope that helps..

-scoob8000
scoob8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 2:46 PM   #9

Thanks for the input. But it is and remains too expensive (I do have money, just don't think it's worth spending that much on a camera I won't use that often anyway).

If anti-shake is that good, shouldn't I go for the dimage z3 then? Or what is your opinion on the image quality of that one? Is it really no good?

(okay, so that wasn't my last post. )