Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2005, 7:04 PM   #1

Which camera should i get? I'm trying to decide between the Canon Powershot A620 and SD500. I've done an extensive amount of reading on the web on these two cameras, and the amount of information is overwhelming. Can someone help please? Thank you.
UPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:09 AM   #2

I posted this in a very similar thread, one that involves A620 and SD550.

I don't really have an answer to your question nor can I recommend which to get but I'm curious why you didn't consider the A610.

Sure the A620 is a 7.1MP while the A610 is 5MP. For almost $100 difference, the MP count is theonly thing the 2 models aren't at equal (correct me if I'm wrong).So what if A620 is a 7.1MP, the truth is that the average user (me included) who buys cameras in this class only prints pictures in the 3R, 4R, 5R formats.Maybe once in a while we might print something bigger but that's rare.Do we really do a lot of croppings, perform artistic editing on these pictures? If your answer is yes, then the 7.1MP might be of use to you. Take note "might". But if your answer is no, a 3.2MP is actually sufficient for the need... even printing an 8x12.

If I do own either one of them, chances are Iwould be setting it to a 3.2MP equivalent resolution. It saves me a lot of space, both inmemory card and harddisk. Lets me shoot more pictures. Save a few bucks, determine if A610 is already sufficient for you. You can probably use the saving to get yourself a 1GB memory card.

- Ben

...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:20 AM   #3

UPenn-

To really be fair we would have to know how you are going to be using your digital camera, what size prints you are expecting from your camera, whether you tend to take a lot of flash photos and low light photos, whether size is a consideration, and if you have a preference in batteries?

With that info in hand we can much more readily help you.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 2:08 AM   #4

Hi

Sorry it took so long to reply. I will be taking pictures of friends, family, wildlife, landscapes, architecture, etc (very eclectic; indoors and outdoors). I am also expecting at least 5x7 (8x10 or larger preferable) prints from the camera, and am also hoping to take a medium number of flash pictures as well and low light photos. Size is somewhat a consideration. Although I would like it to be able to fit in my pocket, I wouldn't mind carrying it. I would like it to have at least a 3X zoom, and I have no preference in batteries, for Li-Ion works well (lots of pictures on a charge, but expensive to replace) and if it needs AA's, I can always replace them with Ni-Mh batteries as well (not as many pictures on a charge, but medium priced).

Thanks again for all your help!

edit again: i just read that the SD500s have a history of unprotected LCDs and are prone to cracking? is there an alternative to the SD500 that is comparable with the A620 that fit my specifications? Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:56 AM   #5
Super Moderator

UPenn wrote:
Quote:
i just read that the SD500s have a history of unprotected LCDs and are prone to cracking? is there an alternative to the SD500 that is comparable with the A620 that fit my specifications? Thanks!
I wouldn't put too much credence in this. Ours is fine. I suppose if you bang it about and twist it maybe - but how rough are you planning on treating it?

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:11 PM   #6

Not rough at all! I've never dropped any digital device that fits in my pocket before. =) So I guess I'm reconsidering the SD500 as competition against the A620. So with that in mind, any advice is much appreciated!