Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:31 PM   #1

Trying to decide between the two.Have read Steve's and others' reviews. I might be misinterpreting the results. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Things going for the SD550 compared to A620: More compact, Lighter, Larger LCD, all metal exterior, slightly faster startup-shutter lag(pre-focused and not).

Things against the SD550, in comparison to A620: noiser ISO,3x not 4x zoom, fixed LCD, only automatic exposure system, noticeable barrel distortion at wide angle, slight purple fringing, no aperture or shutter priority

Things I'm curious about...do either (really the A620) have a live histogram that you can then push your exposure and see the difference before you shoot?

Are the video modes exactly the same?

I've seen widely varying battery reports as to # of shots before recharging...what's the real difference? Can I get 100 shots, 200 shots, etc. with LCD on 100% of the time?

Just returned a Casio EX-Z750 due to very poor indoor pics. Do either of these have a better flash, or will either give greater quality indoor pics?

Do both cameras allow auto focus when panning while making movies? Casio did not, focus was locked!

What is body of A620 made of? Is it all plastic, or is there some metal/all metal?

Do either camera show up as a hard drive when plugged into computer? Do they both plug in via USB ports?

Do both allow you to zoom inwhen viewinga saved picture? I know that the 550 does, not sure about the 620.

Not that I would, but if I'm shooting only in Auto, will one give noticeably better pics (especially indoors)?

andygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:06 AM   #2

I don't really have an answer to your question nor can I recommend which to get but I'm curious why you didn't consider the A610.

Sure the A620 is a 7.1MP while the A610 is 5MP. For almost $100 difference, the MP count is theonly thing the 2 models aren't at equal (correct me if I'm wrong).So what if A620 is a 7.1MP, the truth is that the average user (me included) who buys cameras in this class only prints pictures in the 3R, 4R, 5R formats.Maybe once in a while we might print something bigger but that's rare.Do we really do a lot of croppings, perform artistic editing on these pictures? If your answer is yes, then the 7.1MP might be of use to you. Take note "might". But if your answer is no, a 3.2MP is actually sufficient for the need... even printing an 8x12.

If I do own either one of them, chances are Iwould be setting it to a 3.2MP equivalent resolution. It saves me a lot of space, both inmemory card and harddisk. Lets me shoot more pictures. Save a few bucks, determine if A610 is already sufficient for you. You can probably use the saving to get yourself a 1GB memory card.

- Ben

...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:24 AM   #3

From what I've read, the 7.1MP sensor is a less noisy/better sensor than the 5MP unit. Also, the extra cost does not really mean all that much to me as I just returned a $400 camera for a full refund. I already own a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB card that I purchased when I bought the last camera. Also, pretty much every review I've read where the cameras are using the Sony 7.1 sensor, they rave about how much cleaner/clearer/crisper it is over the 5MP units. As the larger MP sensors typically come with a tradeoff of more noise, If I have read correctly, this is not the case with the 7.1MP piece. Whether I will "need" the extra MPs I don't really know, but I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!:-) Also, IIRC, there might be some minor differences between the 610 and 620, one being some sort of remote mode that the 610 does not have (haven't researched what it is, if it really exists).

I'm not a "pixel peeper", but I do like to zoom in and blow up certain specific areas, and do some creative work. I like you also did not shoot at the highest res with my Casio (but close to it). There was a 3:2 mode which was better for printing 4x6 pics, albeit in the 6MP size range.
andygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:44 PM   #4

Well, what can I say, I'm glad to know you also did your homework.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 4:49 AM   #5

Just my personal opinion, however, IMHO the Canon A-620, though a bit larger in size has much more photographic flexibility, and on the A-620 the LCD is well protected, whereas the SD-500/550 cameras have a long, wel established record of the unprotected LCD cracking and becoming unuseable.

The cost to replace that LCD on the SD 500/550 reuns just about $(US) 200!

Mt
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 5:29 PM   #6

MTCLIMBER,

I appreciate your input on this and many other posts. I too, was considering the A620, SD550, and also the P200. Thanks for the heads-up on the LCD - that would be a hassle. I agree the 620 has greater flexibility, etc., but am a little put off w/ the larger size, 4AA's, etc. I want a decent camera that I can use quickly (auto) but will also "play with" at times. I previously owned a Nikon FG but like the convenience of the smaller, digital models that can be carried easily in my pocket.

I guess I am leaning toward the Sony. I had a Zeiss lens on another camera and it is excellent. The P200 seems a little more compact that the W7.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Viffer 750 is offline   Reply With Quote