Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:33 PM   #1

Hello,

just joined this forum and must say it is very helpful and everyone here brings many ideas and experience to this forum. Good to have something like this. I have also been a loyal user of the steve digicam website and the site assisted me in buying my 1st Olympus D595.

I am looking on to a newer/upgraded camera and really interested in the SD550 Canon poweshot. :?I have put a call into Canon and asked if there has been any known issue or service bulletins but they claimed none as of this point and this could be that the camera is faily new on the market. I do have some concerns

1) battery life on the SD550, looks like 160 shots per 1 charge, not bad. Should I expect less with a large 2.5 LCD?

2) Cracking of LCD display as in the SD500 and any workmanship on the 550 camera itself?.

3)Video/Audio quality and pciture quality.

I have looked at Sony, Casio, Panosanic, Fuji,Nikonbut Canon seems to be the better choice. :angry:Would like to know what this forum thinks.

Forgot to mention thatI can purchase the SD550 at $395including tax from Circuit City.

Thanks in advance!

Rami

rami73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:23 AM   #2

Hi Rami,

I am a brand new user of this forum. I purchased SD550 at dell.com for $350.00 including tax about couple of/3 weeks ago (unfortunately, had to pay about $25.00 tax as dell does business in our state).

In any case, I looked at Sony 7Mg slim camera (no good review for that model and I forgot the model #, sorry) and some others. The closest competitor was Nikon 7900. The SD550 is good if you don't plan to take shots using manual controls. It's simple and slim and fairly lightweight. These were our primary requirements. Otherwise, look for Nikon 7900. Good luck.

_jiisms
Canon SD550
Sandisk 1GB SD card
Digital Concepts Camera Screen Protector (SP-96)

jiisms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 5:30 AM   #3
Super Moderator

We've been very happy with our SD500. Fantastic little camera.

So I guess the SD550 will be great too.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:04 AM   #4

Have a look also at the Panasonic FX9. Has a better LCD screen plus Image stablization. CUrrently $299 at Costco B&M stores.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:26 PM   #5

Thanks to all who have replied and really made a difference in the narrowing down process. Finally settled on the SD550 this past Friday. Got it at $350.00USD from Circuit city after a rebate. So far been happy with it. It is so light and the LCD is awesome, yet to complain. The only 2 annoyancesare the red eye and i did see that in the reviews. its not a real problem as it is not too frequent, Camera body gotwarm after a few minutes of use, have not experienced this again. Night shots seem to be OK and pictures are well saturated and have a good balance. Will continue to take more shots and see how goes. Again thanks to the replies.

Rami
rami73 is offline   Reply With Quote