Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2005, 8:04 PM   #1

Put several other posts up but no answers, I guess no one knows. Trying again. Looking for the best camera for around 225.00 range. I am going nuts reading reviews, there is something wrong with everyone I look at. I always liked cannon but read they break easy, so please help me out here. Zoom is important and so is of course picture quality.
03_fjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2005, 4:43 AM   #2

03-fjr-

Priced right at $(US) 200, the Olympus C-5500 will give you 5mp of resolution, as well as 5X optical zoom. It is surely worth considering.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 5:11 PM   #3

There are a whole bunch of cameras in the $200 range listed at

that sound very nice. For example:

Fuji S5000 - 10X zoom, sharp and fast lens, great image quality, option for manual controls. Kinda big, and eats up AA batteries kinda fast, but the images will look great. I think that would be my recommendation if zoom is important, and image quality is also pretty important to you.

Panasonic LZ2: 6X zoom, 5 megapixels, image stabilization, also pretty good. Kind of a compromise between a big-zoom camera and a "normal" medium camera, also has good image quality.

Sonly L1 and S40, Casio S100: Very, very small, very easy to use. Image quality is all right, not as good as the other cameras', but if you want something tiny, these would be it.

Canon A610: 4X zoom, 5 megapixels, relatively small, great image quality, option for manual controls.

Fuji E510 and E550: Great image quality, easy to use, 3x zoom (but the 510 has a nice wide 28mm lens), 5 and 6 megapixels respectively. I'd say either the Canon or one of these Fujis would be the best all-around choice. But since you don't really say what kind of photography you want to do, how important zoom is versus a small size, etc, it's tough to guess what you'd prefer.
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:22 AM   #4

I just got a Canon A610 for $204.25. I love it so far, and think it is an excellent value.
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:28 AM   #5

Hmmm, I must have done something wrong in writing the link.

What I meant to say at the start of the previous post was, there are a lot of affordable digital cameras listed and compared at

http://www.airshowfan.com/guide-to-d...igital-cameras

Sorry about the mess-up.
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote