Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2005, 2:26 PM   #1

My brother, sister and I want to buy my mom one of these two cameras for our mother for Xmas, but don't know if it's a toss up. I have a A75 and my brother has a A510 so we would like to stick with the Canons since we can help her to operate hers without sitting down and trying to figure out other cameras. Searching the net it seems the A510 is not as widely available as the A520 plus there is not much difference in price if you do find them both. My mother would like to be able to print 8x10 prints and look as good as possible. So should I just find the best deal and if the A520 is only $20 more than the A510 get it or should I concentrate my search on finding the latter? Thanks!
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:40 PM   #2

The A520 (4 megpixels) should do a better job for larger pictures than the A510 (3 megapixels). Since your on a budget and the A520 does not cost that much more, my advice is to go with the A520.
delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 3:51 AM   #3

I'd suggest moving up to the A610.It's a bit more money, but a far better camera, and at 5mp will give you noticeablybetter 8 X10 prints.

Personally, I think Canon made a big mistake with the A510/520. They cheaped out on the construction of these cameras, which feel way too flimsy and fragile compared to the A75/80 which they replaced.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:42 PM   #4

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
I'd suggest moving up to the A610.It's a bit more money, but a far better camera, and at 5mp will give you noticeablybetter 8 X10 prints.

Personally, I think Canon made a big mistake with the A510/520. They cheaped out on the construction of these cameras, which feel way too flimsy and fragile compared to the A75/80 which they replaced.
Unfortunately I think you are probably right although I think it is out of our price range. I see newegg has it for $264 shipped but I think that's just more than we could spend, if I could get it for $200 to $225, then maybe. I wish the A75 was still available because that is what I have and it is a very sturdy camera whereas my brother has the A510 and it does look cheaper made. I do know my mother won't care what she gets as long as she can use it as a point and shoot camera (and doesn't break).
Old Dec 1, 2005, 6:08 PM   #5

Take a look at the FUJI E510. It's a verysturdy 5.2 mp camera that's been out for a while, so you should be able to pick it up pretty cheaply. Uses xD cards, though.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...fuji_e510.html
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 6:26 PM   #6

I have the A510 and i love it.. and ive dropped it quite a few times...
caveman017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:13 AM   #7

I believe that I'm gonna buy the Canon Powershot A520 for my mom's christmas gift.

After doing a lot of research in both quality and ease of use, it seems that the A520 comes out on top. I wanted to purchase a Kodak for maximum ease-of-use, but the A520 is what I have also and will be able to assist my mom easily with any questions she may have.

The A520 is a bargain at around $160-190 with a high quality 4mp sensor & lense. Plus, if your mother is like my mother, this is her first digital camera and you probably don't want to break the bank with something that she may end up not warming up to.

I looked at the Fuji, but their image compression seems to be a bit steep with JPG artifacts, and the Canon has great scene modes (indoor, beach, snow, etc.) which the Fuji doesn't have - therefore the ease-of-use factor is enhanced for mom.

These have been my thoughts into the whole process - hope it might help with yours too.
phillytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:02 AM   #8

phillytim wrote:
Quote:

The A520 is a bargain at around $160-190 with a high quality 4mp sensor & lense. Plus, if your mother is like my mother, this is her first digital camera and you probably don't want to break the bank with something that she may end up not warming up to.

You are exactly right this is my mom's first digital camera so how much she uses it depends on how easy it is to use. Also since I'm not a real camera buff it would be much easier to explain the camera to her if I already owned one similar to hers. I don't have a problem getting a 510 over the 520 but it sure seems the former is harder to find for whatever reason so I guess wherever I can find the best deal is what I will get. Is newegg about the cheapest and most reliable place to buy from online in case you had a problem?
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:14 AM   #9

yeah newegg is a great place - i purchase there a lot.

that'll probably be the place i buy. you can find a list of prices on pricegrabber.com, but newegg seems to be at the top of the best price list and is a reputable, recognized name.

eh, go for the 4mp A520 over the 3mp A510 - there is very little, if any, difference in price and she'll get 4mp - which will easily do 8x10 shots and 4mp is about the least amount of megapixels you'll want to start at. 3mp is just a bit too little for longevity, i'd say.

merry christmas!
phillytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:45 PM   #10

Thanks I'll probably go ahead and buy the 520 from newegg. It's listed now for $172 shipped so don't know if that will be the lowest price before Xmas or not. I could swear it was listed for around $155 not to long ago but I guess it could have been the 510 which they now no longer carry.