Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2005, 7:07 PM   #1

I am looking for a digital camera that records video. The quality of the still pictures are most important, however quality in video recording would be great, too. I am only looking to take portrait type pictures of me, family, pets, etc, indoors and outdoors. I would like to be able to shoot videos that are a decent length of time, willing to buy extra memory, etc. I am looking to spend $200 or under, preferably under. I have looked around at some Aiptek's, like the ISDV and MPVR and realize I have no idea what I'm looking at and would love some more knowledgeable opinions. If anyone has samples of videos and/or pictures with these cameras, that would be greatly appreciated. If not, please post your opinions anyways and I'll give a little search. Thanks!
rainums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2005, 8:30 PM   #2

The Olympus C-60 is a great little camera, and takes fine video with sound. It is periodically on sale at Office Max for $299.00, and probably cheaper on the Internet. Be cautious for knockoffs, and be sure to get all the essential stuff with it (battery, charger, and memory card.)
roxatfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:05 PM   #3

I found one of the Olympus c60's for $260 and a lengthy review of it. This is still a bit out of my price range and the review didn't get me very excited. It said the video is 15fps and the Aiptek cameras I was looking at said 30fps. I am unsure exactly how important this is to video quality. Also, the picture samples from the review had above average "noise", not sure what this means exactly, and there were some horizontal lines on the pictures. And the memory sticks can cost well over $100.

Any rebuttals on this camera or the others mentioned?

Anyone have any other ideas (within budget)?

Here's the review I referred to:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...ew/index.shtml
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:09 PM   #4

Every digital camera company makes a rig that shoots videoas well asstill. All of them make a rig that does both better.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:10 PM   #5

Double post...........so sorry.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:13 PM   #6

sw2cam wrote:
Quote:
Every digital camera company makes a rig that shoots videoas well asstill. All of them make a rig that does both better.

Any recommendations?
Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:38 AM   #7

This is one of the cameras I was looking at~~~~

I don't know what all this means but any opinions would be great or comparisons to better cameras.

The new IS-DV from Aiptek pays close attention to detail, and let's you do the same with a maximum resolution of 5 mega pixels and a 1.8" LTPS color LCD. Record videos at 30 frames per second in MPEG-4 format, and never worry about shaking clips with the new image stabilizer function. The IS-DV also offers a lithium-ion battery with charger so you dont need to worry about buying batteries!

Product Features:

6-in-1 Multi-Function Design: Digital Still Camera, Digital Camcorder, MP3 Player, PC Camera, Digital Voice Recorder, and Removable Hard Disk

Max. Resolution up to 5 Mega-Pixel: Equipped with 3 Mega-Pixel CMOS Sensor, the Still Image Resolution of the ISDV is Enhanced to 5 Mega Pixels. Macro Lens enables High Quality Close Ups. Print 4" x 6", 5" x 7", or even 8" x 10" photos!

High Compression MPEG-4 for Recording Movies: MPEG-4 is the Ideal Way to Store Video Clips in a Highly Compact Format. With the ISDV, not only can you Shoot More Pictures and Movies, but you can also use it as a Portable Media Player for Downloaded MPEG-4 Movies.

Digital Video Stabilization: Advanced Digital Video Stabilization Technology Compensates for slight movements while Video Recording!

MP3 Player: Easily Load your Favorite MP3 Files and Playback the Music Directly or Enjoy Stereo Quality Music Via the Headset!

Rechargeable Battery w/ Charger: Save on Batteries! The ISDV is powered by a Lithium Ion Battery that easily charges via the included Battery Charger!

1.8" LTPS Color LCD Display: Review and Playback Video Clips and Pictures in Real Time. LTPS Technology provides better outdoor viewing than standard LCD's.

Flash Strobe w/ Red Eye Reduction: Built-in Flash Strobe Allows You to Take Snapshots in Darker Environments. Includes Red Eye Reduction.

Digital Zoom: 4x Real Time Digital Zoom Allows you to Zoom In/Out While Recording Video!

Playback Options: Connect the ISDV to your TV/VCR to Playback Video Clips and/or Pictures, or Playback Directly on the Built-in 1.8" Color LCD.

Removable Hard Disk and SD/MMC Card Reader: In Addition to the Internal Memory, the ISDV also allows you to Expand the Memory Capacity to Record, Snapshot, and Listen to More Songs. Store Any Type of Data on the Camera and Take it with you. It Works like a Removable Hard Disk and SD/MMC Card Reader!

System Requirements:

Microsoft Windows 98SE / ME / 2000 / XP

Macintosh Support: File Upload Only
PIII (or Equivalent)
Direct X 8.0 or Above
128 MB of RAM (256 MB Recommended)
Video Card with 64 MB of RAM for minimum 24 bit (True Color) Display
4X Speed CD-ROM
An Available USB Port

Package Contents:

ISDV Camera

Lithium Ion Battery
Battery Charger
Tripod / Stand
USB Cable
AV Output Cable
Camera Bag
Headset (Ear Buds)
Wrist Strap
User's Guide

Included Software:

Camera Manager
CyberLink Power Director Pro
ULead Photo Express SE
ULead Photo Explorer

FROM ANOTHER SITE~~~

General

Brand AIPTEK
Model IS-DV
Type Digital Camcorder

Lens

Digital Zoom 4x

Recording Media

Memory Card SD/ MMC Card
Recording Media Built-in SD Card Slot (Max. 1 GB) (Not Included)

SPEC

Viewfinder Color EVF
LCD 1.8" LCD
Flash Built-in Flash Strobe with Red Eye Reduction
Still Image Size Hardware Resolution: 2560 x 1920 Pixels (5 Mega Pixel)
2048 x 1536 Pixels (3 Mega Pixel)
1280 x 960 Pixels (1.3 Mega Pixel)
Video Resolution: 640 x 480 Pixels (VGA) up to 30 fps
320 x 240 Pixels (QVGA) up to 30 fps
Audio Recording PCM digital sound
Connectors USB 2.0
Power Supply NP60 Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery, USB Port when Plugged into PC
Dimensions & Weight 3.86" x 2.57" x 1.28"

Features

Features 6-in-1 Multi-Function Design:
Digital Still Camera, Digital Camcorder, MP3 Player, PC Camera, Digital Voice Recorder, and Removable Hard Disk
Image Format: JPEG, MPEG-4
White Balance: 5 Modes (Auto/Sunny/Cloudy/Fluorescent/Tungsten)
Speaker: Built-in Speaker and Headset Connector for MP3 and Movie Playback
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:31 PM   #8

Anyone????????
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:55 PM   #9

Goin the Hybrid Still / Movie / MP3 Digicamsforum for info / discussionson Aiptek and similar cameras. The technical spec. numberslook good on paper, but...don't expect too much. Still photos will not rivalthose from mostgood digicams due to cheap lenses, sensorsand fixed focus mechanisms. They are very affordable however and arenot badfor what you pay, but some may consider them toys. You will find all you need to know in the Hybrid forum... very helpful people waiting for you there...go!:G

I personally find the Sanyo C6 a potentiallygood still/MPEG-4 video combo device. Some Casios do good stills and MPEG-4 video, Samsung i50 MP3 does MPEG-4 and stills looks ok. Look in the manufacturer forums for more info on those.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:06 AM   #10

If I'm not mistaken,

http://airshowfan.com/guide-to-digit...igital-cameras

the Sony S40 is available for $150 and takes VGA-quality movies at 30 fps. Right?
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote