Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2005, 7:22 PM   #11

Sorry, my mistake - I meant 240 Kb. I'm still within the posting limits for this site, however.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 7:42 PM   #12

Even cropped like ET suggested, noise levels in this pic don't seem bad at all, although you can see some 'watercolor' effect in the stones on the left. The point is that this is a lot better than most cameras in the S5200's class can do at high ISO. I've seen lots ofthemthat do worse at ISO 200, my last camera included.
Attached Images

Old Nov 27, 2005, 8:12 PM   #13

ET - here's the second crop you asked for. Looks OK to me.
Attached Images

Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:47 PM   #14

What I'm reading is that12x over 10x is preferred, but, to paraphrase Monty Python, 5Mp is as good as 6Mp to a blind man.

I checked out the Panasonic. Three problems: 1. No manual options (I can live with that). 2. Cost is 10%-15% higher than the Fuji (that's not a show stopper in and of itself). 3. Proprietary battery. The battery is the real disappoint. I'd rather spend $50 on a good charger and a couple sets of 2500 mAhAAbatteries that can be used in other things than on a single 680 mAh battery that can only be used in the camera. It would take four AA's to even get close to the 7.2V of the Panasonic battery, but that's what many other manufacturers do. I think Panasonic missed the mark there. The cropped picture quality of the Panasonic may be better and that 12x zoom would be nice, but the added cost of the camera and the cost of even one spare battery makes it a tough sell for a first digital. That's assuming that the charger that comes with the camera can condition (drain) the battery before recharging it like a good AA charger will.

RaymondW is offline   Reply With Quote