Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:53 PM   #1

Hi - I want to get a new digital camera. I've used a Canon S410 fairly extensively and I quite like this camera - but I'm wondering if there might be something better out there for me? I want a camera that I can throw in my pocket and forget about - so size is very important. It would be awesome if it were also very robust and perhaps even water resistant (though water-resistance is not a priority). I will be taking it out to clubs and concerts a whole lot, so it needs to be able to take nice photos in low light situations. I'd like to spend around $500 or less. The cameras that I'm looking at right now are the Sony DSC-N1, the Nikon Coolpix S3, and the Canon SD30. But I definitely have not looked enough at this point - so I'm sure I'm missing some good models in that list. I also haven't made it out to any stores yet, so I haven't been able to see how big any of these cameras actually are. Any advice? Thanks!
uoficowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2005, 1:19 PM   #2

I use my camera for nights out. Clubs e.t.c. Sanyo xacti c5, but the c6 is out with considerably better low light capabilities. And i absolutely love my c5, fits nicely in jeans pocket. Camera in one and phone in the other. Get the video capbilities with this as well. Just got to save up for an upgrade to the c6 now.
s96024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:47 PM   #3

Hmm the C5/C6 look a bit too chunky for my tastes... I'm really looking for a point and click sort of digi cam - while those look more oriented for video...
Old Nov 28, 2005, 5:54 PM   #4

cowboy-

Take a look at the Pentax S5i. It is very small, capable and selling at a bargain price. I really like mine.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 5:15 PM   #5

It seems to me that, if good low-light performance is what you want, then the Fuji Z1 seems to be the one I'd recommend. It does better at high ISOs than other compacts:

http://www.airshowfan.com/guide-to-d...igital-cameras

Also, if you want something really tiny and easy to use, I'm a big fan of Casios myself - they're the ones I recommend to people who want an extremely compact camera that you don't have to "worry about", you just take it out of your pocket and take the picture. The interface is good and the scene modes actually tell you what you should do in order to get the best picture at different conditions. Casios also have greta battery life.
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 5:27 PM   #6

the s5i looks like a decent camera. The reviews I've read about it being hard to use though are very worrisome. Any other suggestions? Right now I'm really liking the DSC-N1, even though it's quite spendy (best I can find is ~$430), is Sony (who I hate), and uses memory sticks (which are awful imo).