Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:24 PM   #1

I have a canon powershot s60 which im ready to sell and move on from. My options are the canon rebel 350d xt or the nikon d50. I can get the nikon for cheaper and i really like how it feels in the hand. I've actually taken pictures with the canon and i know it performs very well. My question is, will the d50 be as responsive as the canon? will the autofocus be as quick and the shutter lag be the same?

thanks
Dan
mattisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:07 PM   #2

I'd consider looking at the reviews of these 2 cameras, both here and on other forums. From what I've read both are almost equivalent performance-wise, with the Nikon having a slight edge in low-light shooting. How a camera feels in one's hands is also definately something to consider - after all, if you're not comfortable with it you likely won't use it as much.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:27 PM   #3

I've read a lot about both these camera's but the problem is there is always bias towards one. I was fairly sure i wanted the nikon because it feels nicer, but when on dpreview i saw a photographic compairaison 350d vs d50 and the canon's images were much sharper not just a bit. It actually looked as if all the camera's against the nikon were sharper. Was the test done realistic to photo's taken in the real world? image quality is really important to me but also autofocus i want to be really quick and i've heard the canon has some issues with focus.

Thanks
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:37 PM   #4

http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/...icle_824.shtml

a decent review of most of the players in this segment....

I'd recommand the Konica Minolta 5D. Partly because I have one, partly because function like AS is something really useful when you are shooting, and its the only one that offers it built into the body, not optional with the lens.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:39 PM   #5

I'd consider the 5d if i didn't live in canada. Konica minolta is pulling away frmo canada so no warranties are valid and its hard to get them, infact they're not sold in canada anymore. So its between the rebel and the nikon
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:40 PM   #6

http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/...icle_824.shtml

a decent set of review for most players in this segment...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:52 PM   #7

Go out to PBASE and look at the images you see (search on cameras).

Personally, I like the images off the Canon CMOS sensor.

Probably the reason why Canon has 60 percent of the DSLR market.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:53 PM   #8

Thanks for the response, and i like the canon images aswell. I checked the compairaison on this site between the 2 cams and the nikon looks way nicer to me. As long as people dont say one is much better then the other then i will probably end up with the nikon as i cna get it for a much better price.