Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2005, 9:21 AM   #1

I'm really at a loss here. For the last two months I've been considering upgrading to a DSLR for a few reasons, the main one being that they're fast.

Now the last week or so I've been looking at a couple of ultra zooms, the Canon Poweshot S2 IS and the Sony Cybershot DSC-H1.

I really love photography, though I'm an amateur and have only been doing it for a year now. The main reason I started looking at DSLR's is because I have a seven year old daughter and with my current camera I seem to be missing a lot of shots. I's just way too slow.

I also love zooming in on wildlife and I love taking nature shots and I like to take macro shots also. But the main reason is still photographing my daughter when she's playing and stuff.

Can anyone please give me some advice on which camera will meet my needs better. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Konica minolta 5D and the two cameras mentioned above.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

regards, mel
melhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2005, 9:50 AM   #2

If cost and portability not an issue, definitely DSLR. But for a DSLR to cover the range of an Ultra-Zoom, you are looking at probably at least 2 lenses and their associated cost. And thats more stuff to bring with you. I personally don't mind, but everyone is different.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 7:36 PM   #3

Hi.I think either will do you well. If you go for a DSLR let me say the advantages.1/ Much¬* bigger sensors so that the 6mp is much better that the 8 or mor mp in a digicam.2/ The cameras will give reasonable results at ISO 800 or in my case (Pentax *1sT DS) at ISO 1600.. this means much more use of natural light and less flash.3/ I do use fixed focal lenses and short zooms but if you just wanted 1 zoom¬* to start with then the Sigma 18-200 or Tamron 18-200 would give far better performance than a digicam( whilst less good than other lenses). This gives you 28-300 in 35mm terms.4/the view finders are real time and much better5/ The ergonomics of the cameras are at a different level[img]/forums/images/emoticons/lachen001.gif[/img]Down side1/ Photos often need tweaking in Photoshop ( or Elements)2/ The LCD on DSLR is only for information .. not a 'viewfinder'3/ There is no video etc[img]/forums/images/emoticons/shakehead.gif[/img]¬*Its your call. However whatever you do try them out. Reviews do not tell you what they will feel like for you. So I know the Nikon is techniquely a little better than the Pentax but I hated the viewfinder. The Canon Rebel i found too plastic. And of course they are all extraordinary machines.[img]/forums/images/emoticons/speechless-smiley-021.gif[/img]On the wholeTom¬*¬*
tombell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 9:05 PM   #4

I was in a similar situation. You are able to get a Nikon D50 with 18-55 and sigma 70-300 for about $820 (or $750 if you sell the free printer)

I decided with the nikon because i was like If im gonna spend that much money (about 500) i might as well spend an extra $120 for the DSLR for now, then later spend the money to get the 70-300. I mean i wont need to upgrade for a long while and with the 3 shots per second burst, you cant miss out
caveman017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 9:51 PM   #5

I believe both Tamron and Sigma have an 18-200 zoom lens if you want one lens that can "do it all".

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:14 AM   #6

thanks for the reply everybody. I was in town this morning and I went to look at a few cameras......well, the canon S2 IS dropped off my list and so did the sony cybershot for the simple fact that I found them way too small. They didn't feel comfortable.

I did see the Konica Minolta 5D and loved it straight away, good feel, everything was like perfect (first impression that is). The shop I went to had a special with the KM5D ....it was 899 euro (I live in europe) for the body and the kit lens. Now the special they had was the KM5D with kit lens and a Tamron 80-200mm lens for 999 euro. Is this a good deal and what is the Tamron 80-200mm lens like?

As I mentioned before I am new to DSLR and after seeing and feeling them this morning I am definitely going in that direction.The question is will the Tamron 80-200mm lens give me enough zoom and what else is this lens good for. Seeing that I also like Macro photography, with these two lenses will I be able to do that?

thanks, Mel
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:33 AM   #7

I need to correct on the tamron lens, it's not a 80-200mm but a 80-210mm.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:34 AM   #8

Macro is a tricky ones as most "macro"range of a normal zoom lens is not that good of a macro. The kit lens on the 5D certainly is not a good macro(I have that combo too).

The Tamron from the online survey seems to be a sub-par lens, I probably wouldn't bother with it if I were you. The kit lens is not great, but comparable to other DSLR's offering so I'd probably get that anyway. If you do go the KM 5D route then I'd suggest getting a used $70-210 f4(or 70-210 F3.5-4.5) for around $150 to $200 USD. Old lens, but very good lens by Minolta, much superior to most of the newer lens in this range except for the $1500+ G lens. With the 18-70 kit + 70-210 f4 it gives you a 35mm equivelent of 27- 315mm of focal range which is roughly 12x zoom. The old f4 also does macro at 210mm provided that you stand like 3+ meters away from your subject....:-)

Shots from the 70-210 f4 outdoor:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82

70-210 as a macro:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7

RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:31 AM   #9

thanks for the imput. I can also get a deal for the KM5D body with a KM AF DT 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 (D) lens.....the question being, is this a sort of 'universal' lens that I can use with most things?

As I mentioned before, I'm still new to dslr and still need to learn a lot, but I'm enjoying it as I go along. I do wonder sometimes if a dslr is a lot harder to work with than a canon S2 IS for instance?

Anyway thanks for the imput so far.

Regards Mel
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:52 AM   #10

You'll get used to a DSLR pretty quick.

DSRL's and non DSLR"s all have the same functions that you use most of the time:

- select image quality

- set ISO

- shutter priority then adjust shutter speed

- aperture priority then adjust aperture

- shooting mode (continuous shooting versus single snap)

- reformat

The above functions I use 95 percent of the time.

I can probably find them on any camera in 15 minutes or lessif I have a manual in front of me.

Beyond that, you can explore the manual and find out about other features.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote