Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2005, 5:23 PM   #11

Thanks to all of you for the replies. Basically i do landscapes and love capturing archetecture in the night . For that i also think A200 is on of the best. But i am also planning to do some action photography in the future thats why i was thinking of FZ30. The only problem with it seems to be the noise at ISO 100 and above, but actually i am more confused now as i have read more reviews. Previously i totally discarded FZ30 but after reading many more reviews and user opinions,which claims that FZ30 noise levels are not that bad, i dont know whether i should go for FZ30 or reduce the telezoom range to A200.

For me IS is an factor thats why i didnot consider S9000, and 8800 is simply out of my limit.

ciao

Fahad
Fahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:11 PM   #12
E.T

Fahad wrote:
Quote:
But i am also planning to do some action photography in the future thats why i was thinking of FZ30.

which claims that FZ30 noise levels are not that bad, i dont know whether i should go for FZ30 or reduce the telezoom range to A200.
Here's some shots... unfortunate target is now different than in other tests so comparing detail levels directly is impossible.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

For outside daylight action photography FZ30's ISO capability should be enough but in lower light it could be quite limited.
But it would really require wide converter for getting acceptable wide angle.
A200 again could use tele converter... KM's own 1.5x doesn't worsen image quality anyway but it's quite heavy and pretty much requires supporting it/lens but there are some lighter ones from other brands. (which degrade image quality somewhat)

If Samsung would have just included IS to 815 (28-420mm zoom)...
Or if that zoom range lens would be fitted to KM A2's back/body. (I don't anymore accept less manual controls)

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that with the exception of the few cameras that allow you to turn off the noise filtering, I would rather have the camera with less filtering.
Isn't RAW for that?
Actually JPEG compression can worsen noise so for high ISO shots with noise reduction in PP it would be absolutely best option...
And you can even find free RAW converter with considerable features:
http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...ssentials.html
Support for different RAW formats is just limited to pile of Canons, DSLRs and real prosumers cameras.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 7:17 PM   #13

E.T, it would also be great and really helpful for me if you canexplain that what is the limitation of KMA200for night time photography and also the usability of its ISO400 and ISO800 modes
Old Dec 1, 2005, 2:49 AM   #14
E.T

There's some night shots here, compared to small sensor longzooms noise is one step lower.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...e_a200-review/

And that comparsion of A2 and Canon 20d DSLR has also quite good info... I think they just used JPEGs directly from camera without post processing.
(A200 has somewhat better built in noise reduction)

http://www.neocamera.com/feature_dslr.html

Visible noise levels at various print size show that the A2 is perfectly suited at ISO 200 (or less) up to 25" wide and at ISO 800 up to 12" wide...
This demonstrates that even though the A2's noise levels are higher at all ISO sensitivities, for most common print sizes (up to 9"x12"), its full ISO range remains very usable.

I have A2 but A200 should be at least equally good when using JPEG.

This one was taken at night, I don't remember exactly was it 1 am or 2am.

This is about what it looked in reality.

So with tripod you can take landscape shots in quite dark.
(not that later is landscape shot, those white-blue clouds are noctilucent clouds)
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:59 PM   #15

Thanks everyone specially E.T for all of the discussion. After thinking and reading more and more reviews, i have finally decided to buy FZ30 (may be a big risk) and i hope that with external flash it can do good in night time as well.

ciao,

Fahad
Old Dec 2, 2005, 3:04 PM   #16
E.T

Fahad wrote:
Quote:
and i hope that with external flash it can do good in night time as well
External flashes are well capable to illuminating to more than ten meters if you increase ISO of camera. (and camera's lens is fast)

I would suggest buying Metz's MZ-serie flash, by changing adapter those can be fitted to special flash shoes of biggest brands and understands their special flash control features.

I have 54 MZ4 and it gives these ranges with A2 (F2.8 ) and flash at 24mm zoom.
At ISO100: ~10m.
At ISO200: ~14m

Then with flash zoomed to 105mm setting (you don't need to light whole "landscape" if camera's fov doesn't cover it) those ranges go up considerably.
With FZ30 you can propably zoom flash in at least one step for start.

But flash will overexposure closer objects while background is left as dark so it isn't perfect option.
And FZ30 doesn't have any flash controls except triggering so you have to manually tell flash used ISO and aperture. (and zoom in when you want)
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:01 AM   #17

Wait, why is it again that you don't go with the S2-IS?

As is said in
http://airshowfan.com/guide-to-digit...as.htm#dontbuy
you probably ought not to get too hung up on the number of megapixels, since other factors probably affect image quality more. So if a camera seems to be great except for the fact that you wish it had more megapixels, then that camera is probably the one you want anyways. Right?
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:48 AM   #18

FZ30 is really working fine for me. Yes there is noise easily seen in ISO 400 and also tosome extent at ISO 200 but with NeatImage that is not a problem. Images are sharper andcolors arevery good as well. And why i chose FZ30 , coz it was in my budget.

I am sort of busy with other things at this time, but i will post further updates abut FZ30 performance later.

ciao,

Fahad