Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:27 PM   #1

I bought my first digital in 2003.....an Olympus C730 (3mp, 10x). It's been a good camera, but Ilike to photographwildlife and findthe cameratoo slow and the photos grainy. Time for an upgrade.

The Panasonic FX30 scares me because all the reviews I read talk about using the ISO's, etc. I want a camera to use as a point and shoot. Also, will going from 3 megapixels to 8 mean it will eat up too much storage on my computer?

The Canon Powershot S2 IS has the 12x zoom I want and the anti-shake, BUT it's only 5 megapixels (seems strange they want about $500 for a 5mp camera). Will I still get good pix when cropping? I feel like I'll be wanting to upgrade again in a short time.

I'm sure either will be faster/better than the C730, but I don't want to spend $500 every two years.

Any help anyone could give is appreciated! I'm not a professional, just a compulsive picture-taker who wants to take better nature pix!

Thank you,

Chris

grimmts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2005, 1:57 AM   #2

grimmts wrote:
Quote:
The Panasonic FX30 scares me because all the reviews I read talk about using the ISO's, etc. I want a camera to use as a point and shoot. Also, will going from 3 megapixels to 8 mean it will eat up too much storage on my computer?

The FZ30 is a great point and shoot camera. The talk about "using ISO's" has nothing to do with the camera being too complicated for the average user. Every camera has different light sensitivity levels (ISO's) which can be either set manually or chosen in automatic mode by the camera. If you just want to put the camera into "Automatic", the Panasonic makes an excellent choice.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:33 AM   #3

rduve wrote:
Quote:
The FZ30 is a great point and shoot camera. The talk about "using ISO's" has nothing to do with the camera being too complicated for the average user. Every camera has different light sensitivity levels (ISO's) which can be either set manually or chosen in automatic mode by the camera. If you just want to put the camera into "Automatic", the Panasonic makes an excellent choice.
What scared me was only one review I read mentioned the automatic mode, and their comments weren't good! Something about if you let the camera choose the settings, the color and light balance were bad.

This is a camera I haven't been able to actually see and feel either. If I buy it, it would probably be from an online merchant and may not be able to return it. Just want to be sure before I make the leap.

Thanks so much for the reply.

Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:41 AM   #4

If you are not going to use the FZ30 at ISO 100 or above then its an excellent caemra, otherwise cannon S2IS is a better choice. Although it is only 5MP but atleast higher ISO settings can be used. And in my humble opinion ifyou are take snaps at night outside or in low light thenyou will need higher ISO.
Fahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:25 AM   #5

I also take a lot of photos of sunsets.

Is Canon planning on coming out with a 12x zoom with more megapixels anytime soon???

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:56 AM   #6

I too, have high hopes that Canon will "upgrade" their S2 IS to compete with the Panasonic FZ30.

The FZ30 seems to have some good reviews, but I have a better "comfort zone" with Canon.

I think, for my needs, size is important also, so I would like to see a smaller, 6x-8x-10x optical zoom, with the same features as the S2 IS / FZ30, butwith a smaller overall case size, and with an automatic lens cover.
BuddTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 5:35 PM   #7

Maybe after Christmas the price will come down. Get with it Canon!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 7:23 PM   #8

grimmts wrote:
Quote:
I also take a lot of photos of sunsets.

Is Canon planning on coming out with a 12x zoom with more megapixels anytime soon???

Thanks!

Here are some sunset shots I took with my Panasonic FZ20. http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries/sunsetshots.

It works very well for sunsets, and so does the FZ30 of course. But you can't go wrong with Canon either. I am sure they will soon release an 8MP ultrazoom cam.

See also my other galleries at:http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries. There is a mixture of shots with different cameras, largely taken with either the Panasonic FZ20 and my previous camera, the Canon Powershot G5. Both have excellent picture quality, and I am sure the Canon ultrazoom models compare closely to the G5.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:19 PM   #9

Great shots rduve...thanks for sharing.

I may just get the Canon so I can keep using my rechargeable AA batteries. Maybe after Xmas the price will drop. It should!
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:01 AM   #10

How 'bout it Panasonic FZ30 users? Anyone else use it primarily as a point and shoot?