Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:32 AM   #31

Ok, one last because I still cannot decide ...

The Nikon S4 was mentioned earlier, and altho it won't do the higher ISO settings, it DOES have a 10X zoom, high MP etc, and prob fit into a pocket.

I was going to order one last night, but came across a few reviews that said the zoom was useless without a tripod when zoomed in fully. This is ok I guess as at 10X that's a lot, but will it be ok half wound in so to put it ?!?

I dunno, but it gave cause to refrain from the purchase.

I guess I'm currently torn between accepting the 3X zoom and go for the Fiji F10, or continue to search for the P&S with bigger zoom, and will cope with the concert shots better than the current Canon ISUS 50 ?!

Last call guys as I NEED to get an order in soon. My Canon is sold in 2 days and I'll only have my phone for pictures till new one arrives! ...

Cheers

Pauldw501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:46 PM   #32

Hmmm sound stressful decision :-)

Before u decide to get Nikon S4 I suggest u test it out first.
Ok, I don't own Nikon S4, but I did try at the shop to take same shots at 10x zoom, in order to make it less blur I set the ISO to 400.
Pls see the sample that I took:
Exif inf:
Shutter speed: 1/35, ISO: 400

Attached Images

armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:47 PM   #33

Ok, I don't own Nikon S4, but I did try at the shop to take same shots at 10x zoom, in order to make it less blur I set the ISO to 400.
Exif inf:

Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:31 PM   #34

Quote:
[by the way, slipe and I were both incorrect with the ISO setting for the LZ2 pic...acording to the link, it was shot at ISO 80]
I just clicked your LZ2 link again – this is a screenshot showing the ISO. I'm curious what you get with that link.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 3:39 AM   #35

slipe,

I get the same page, however I was referring to the concert hall shot, not the flowers (for some reason, the site wouldn't let me link directly to the concert hall photo). It can be found in the band of pictures at the top of the page, 20 pics over from the left. Since Paul wanted to take pictures of concerts, I thought it was apropos. Sorry for the confusion.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:11 PM   #36

armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:

Exif inf:
If this is at 10X zoom then it seems fine to me, did YOU use a tripod?

My Canon IXUS 50 has gone, and until I find the replacement, I have a phone for pictures! ...

Do I just go for the F10 guys and just try and get closer ?

Old Dec 6, 2005, 6:50 PM   #37

Pauldw501 wrote:
Quote:
armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:

Exif inf:
If this is at 10X zoom then it seems fine to me, did YOU use a tripod?

My Canon IXUS 50 has gone, and until I find the replacement, I have a phone for pictures! ...

Do I just go for the F10 guys and just try and get closer ?

Nope, no tripod, just Handheld :|
But again, before u bought it please try it yourself, so u can get the feeling on the cam
Oh ya, one more thing this camera don't have Viewfinder
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:02 PM   #38

armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
Nope, no tripod, just Handheld :|
But again, before u bought it please try it yourself, so u can get the feeling on the cam
Oh ya, one more thing this camera don't have Viewfinder
In an 'ideal' world I would go into a shop and play about with one for as long as possible, and if I like, THEN seek a lower price over the net, but the world ISN'T ideal, and since my Canon departed tonight I am itching to replace ... lol

No viewfinder to me is not a problem.

I'm currently torn between the Fuji F10& the Nikon S4.

I think the Fuji is going to work better in the 'low light' situations I tend to get into, but I would like more than 3X zoom.

Nikon obv has the zoom, altho am a tad worried about the blurry pics when zoomed in, and not convinced it will perform better than my Canon did in the dark.

I dunno ...lol

Bigger zoom is still speaking volumes to me tho!
Old Dec 6, 2005, 8:05 PM   #39

Ok last call as bedtime is a calling!

I was thinking (her we go!)With this Fuji F10 performing better than the Canon IXUS 50 in 'low light' with its higher ISO capabilities, will it mean that the Digital zoom will also perform better ?!

Or should I just steer clear from Digital zoom? From what I've seen personally, I think I should.

I DEF need more than 3X Optical zoom I have come to the conclusion, and altho don't need 12X, apart from the Panasonic mentioned earlier, I don't see any other camera but the Nikon S4 to go for!

I WILL make a purchase within the next 24 hours as daughter NEEDS ... a camera for her school trip (it's ok, she is a responsible / sensibleteenager ...they do exist! ) and has use of my camera all the time.

HELP! ... lol

Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:02 PM   #40

Pauldw501 wrote:
Quote:
Ok last call as bedtime is a calling!

I was thinking (her we go!)With this Fuji F10 performing better than the Canon IXUS 50 in 'low light' with its higher ISO capabilities, will it mean that the Digital zoom will also perform better ?!

Or should I just steer clear from Digital zoom? From what I've seen personally, I think I should.

I DEF need more than 3X Optical zoom I have come to the conclusion, and altho don't need 12X, apart from the Panasonic mentioned earlier, I don't see any other camera but the Nikon S4 to go for!

I WILL make a purchase within the next 24 hours as daughter NEEDS ... a camera for her school trip (it's ok, she is a responsible / sensibleteenager ...they do exist! ) and has use of my camera all the time.

HELP! ... lol
For the digital zoom you might want to read more in:
http://airshowfan.com/guide-to-digital-cameras.htm#zoom
If u choose S4, and if u think u can take the picture with Shutter speed: 1/35 and ISO 400, I hope shd be fine. But if u go long as 1/15 or 1/8, hmmm worry u will get blur pic :roll: