Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:51 PM   #41

armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
For the digital zoom you might want to read more in:
http://airshowfan.com/guide-to-digital-cameras.htm#zoom
If u choose S4, and if u think u can take the picture with Shutter speed: 1/35 and ISO 400, I hope shd be fine. But if u go long as 1/15 or 1/8, hmmm worry u will get blur pic :roll:
Well if nothing else, this will show how deperate I am! ...

Sitting here awaiting replies at this time in the morning! (UK time)

I'vejust had a little look at the link and yeah, I get what it's saying about Digital zoom and to forget it!

I think I have!

I think I've got to rule out the Fuji F10 as it has the same 3X zoom as my last Canon.

I'll order a NikonS4 when I wake as at the end of the day, it HAS been recommended on here, and will give me a lot higher zoom than 3X .... even If I have to hold back on the zoom for fear of 'wabbly' pics!

Tis the conclusion, and unless someone STRONGLY advises otherwise within the next 12 hours, the deal will be done!

What camera did you say? ... :-)

I asked the question (altho originally not so clear) and have had a lot of replies, which I'm very grateful for ... ... but altho the Fuji F10 overallprob won, I think when the 'morezoom needed' question came into effect, not a lot on offer came forward, but I'll soooner buy a camera ONE person recommended than NOONE! ...

Hey! ....it's a Nikon after all!...

Pauldw501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:28 AM   #42

Pauldw501 wrote:
Quote:
armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
For the digital zoom you might want to read more in:
http://airshowfan.com/guide-to-digital-cameras.htm#zoom
If u choose S4, and if u think u can take the picture with Shutter speed: 1/35 and ISO 400, I hope shd be fine. But if u go long as 1/15 or 1/8, hmmm worry u will get blur pic :roll:
Well if nothing else, this will show how deperate I am! ...

Sitting here awaiting replies at this time in the morning! (UK time)

I'vejust had a little look at the link and yeah, I get what it's saying about Digital zoom and to forget it!

I think I have!

I think I've got to rule out the Fuji F10 as it has the same 3X zoom as my last Canon.

I'll order a NikonS4 when I wake as at the end of the day, it HAS been recommended on here, and will give me a lot higher zoom than 3X .... even If I have to hold back on the zoom for fear of 'wabbly' pics!

Tis the conclusion, and unless someone STRONGLY advises otherwise within the next 12 hours, the deal will be done!

What camera did you say? ... :-)

I asked the question (altho originally not so clear) and have had a lot of replies, which I'm very grateful for ... ... but altho the Fuji F10 overallprob won, I think when the 'morezoom needed' question came into effect, not a lot on offer came forward, but I'll soooner buy a camera ONE person recommended than NOONE! ...

Hey! ....it's a Nikon after all!...
Yeah, wish to have a camera like Fuji F10 with 10x optical zoom :-)
or Nikon S4 with Image Stabilizer :G
So far I can see S4 is the smallest camera with 10x opt zoom.
And Fuji F10 is the smallest camera with ISO 1600, except Olympus Stylus 800 (but ISO 1600 only for 3MP)
Tough decision :?
Wish you can try it or borrow from some friend if they have those camera, before purchase :roll:
Good luck...
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:33 AM   #43

Paul, BTW, UK time already near morning, seem like you never sleep :O
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:59 AM   #44

armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, wish to have a camera like Fuji F10 with 10x optical zoom :-)
or Nikon S4 with Image Stabilizer :G
So far I can see S4 is the smallest camera with 10x opt zoom.
And Fuji F10 is the smallest camera with ISO 1600, except Olympus Stylus 800 (but ISO 1600 only for 3MP)
Tough decision :?
Wish you can try it or borrow from some friend if they have those camera, before purchase :roll:
Good luck...
Yeah I appreciate I'm asking the impossible with A Fuji F10 with 10X optical zoom ...... but what about a 4X plus zoom??

I'd LOVE to try out EVERY possible camera before I buy but it's really not an option ... ... hence joining this forum!

I'd sooner go with one person's view who probably has half an idea as to be honest I don't have a clue, and am without a camera! ...lol
Old Dec 7, 2005, 1:04 AM   #45

armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
Paul, BTW, UK time already near morning, seem like you never sleep :O

Yup! ... 06.00 and still floating about!

I'm a night worker, but sleep all kinds of patterns.

Night off tonight, but as I said earlier HAVE to buy the replacement after sleep so hanging in to see if there's anyone who has STRONG reasons NOT to go for the S4 as I think that's the fav now.

I'll be about for an hour or so yet! ... ... :d

Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:14 PM   #46

F13.6

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25533

What's the use?

Never mind.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:08 PM   #47

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
F13.6

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25533

What's the use?

Never mind.

the Hun

So you disagree Mr Hun?

Then please tell me your recommendation for the camera with higher than 3X zoom for the job?

Old Dec 7, 2005, 3:18 PM   #48

I think you already nixed my choice for low light ultrazooms - the Fuji FinePix S5200. I take it to ball games (baseball and basketball). It does well, has a very short shutter lag.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The S4 is very portable and does have the nice 10X optical zoom. I guess the question is how it does in low light. How grainy are high ISO shots and hot much noise can you get out with Noise Ninja or something similar?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"You're sure that the gate guards at concerts wouldn't let you take an S5200 inside?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 3:33 PM   #49

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I think you already nixed my choice for low light ultrazooms - the Fuji FinePix S5200. I take it to ball games (baseball and basketball). It does well, has a very short shutter lag.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The S4 is very portable and does have the nice 10X optical zoom. I guess the question is how it does in low light. How grainy are high ISO shots and hot much noise can you get out with Noise Ninja or something similar?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"You're sure that the gate guards at concerts wouldn't let you take an S5200 inside?
Thanks for the reply ...

I'd be shocked to be honest if I could get a Fuji FinePix S5200 into a concert.

I read somewhere else that if your looking for a camera to take into a concert, don't even consider anything black as they see black camera's as PROFESSIONAL camera's! ... but i suppose I can see why.

I'm happy to attempt something 'a bit' bigger than your average P&S, but I wouldn't like my chances with that.

Yeah the S4 does appeal, but I don't think it's going to perform well in the dark. I think The Hun's F13.6 comment has something to do with it.

I think I have to cosider ditching the idea of more zoom and go for a Fuji F10, that seems the one for the job! ...

I can only hope the Fuji will give better results with the digital zoom as I just can't afford those front row seats! ...

Old Dec 7, 2005, 3:46 PM   #50

Ok a deal has been done! ...

I've gone with the majority and literally just purchased a Fuji F10 ... ... sod the zoom! ... :-)

I pretty much knew they go for just under the £200 mark in the UK, and have just seen a brand new / boxed F10, extra 256mb card, and dedicated case on eBay for £150, so I've snapped it up!

Can't wait for it to arrive ...

Next gig is on Sunday, altho it will be lit quite well.

Now I just need to learn how to use the manual settings !?

A BIG thanks to everyone for their advice.