Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:20 PM   #51

Pauldw501 wrote:
Quote:
Ok a deal has been done! ...

I've gone with the majority and literally just purchased a Fuji F10 ... ... sod the zoom! ... :-)

I pretty much knew they go for just under the £200 mark in the UK, and have just seen a brand new / boxed F10, extra 256mb card, and dedicated case on eBay for £150, so I've snapped it up!

Can't wait for it to arrive ...

Next gig is on Sunday, altho it will be lit quite well.

Now I just need to learn how to use the manual settings !?

A BIG thanks to everyone for their advice.
Paul, good to hear that you make up your decision.
Hope you can get a good result. As F10 have 6MP, I think you still can make use of some digital zoom, something like 3x optical + 2x digital zoom, I guess you still can get pretty good quality.
Please let us know the result, if possible post some photos :-)
Happy shooting :|
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:29 AM   #52

armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:

Paul, good to hear that you make up your decision.
Hope you can get a good result. As F10 have 6MP, I think you still can make use of some digital zoom, something like 3x optical + 2x digital zoom, I guess you still can get pretty good quality.
Please let us know the result, if possible post some photos :-)
Happy shooting :|
Yeah if I can pinch a little of the digital zoom and get half decent results I will be VERY happy ...

I'm hoping the camera will be with me on Friday, and am going to a gig on Sunday, I'll post a pic of my results.

Cheers.
Pauldw501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:37 AM   #53

Ok, I have pics from the Fuji F10.

Firstly the camera itself. At first very impressed. I like the button layout and the running of the settings is all good, no need to read a book just play about with for 10 mins and all ready to go.

I experienced a problem with the camera last night and will now consult the book. I'd switch on the camera and get a flashing orange light, and I could not use the camera. I'd press every botton, remove battery and mem card and reboot (so to put it, but the same thing). It happened 2 or 3 times and the last I found if I switched to video cam mode, and then to 'manual' setting it would work, vid cam mode to 'auto' and all I get is a flashing orange led, the screen stays blank and I cannot use it ?!?!

Not sure if a fault or not, but obv no good.

Anyway. To compare, this was taken with my Canon IXUS 400 (one before I upgraded to IXUS 50). We was up on the first pier and quite far from the stage. Probably double the distance of the last 2 pics here with the F10!

Taken with 3x Optical Zoom:

Now with pretty much maximum Digital Zoom:

Now last night with the F10 at 3x Optical Zoom (we was 16 rows from the front):

Now with Digital Zoom, but only wound in about half:

Conclusion?

The jury is out this end, but what do you think?

Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:57 PM   #54

Hi,

May I ask, what makes you go to these concerts that regularly? Do you know the artists?

Concerning your shots I would say, all four prove once more that one should not expect wonders from a tiny compact cam.
The Ixus 40 did the job really suprisingly good, I think. The f10 shots do not look better in my eyes, however, I cannot judge it seriously since I do not know the exif-data. IMO both (digi-zoom and no digi-zoom) shots are a little over-exposed. Maybe you should try switching photometry settings to "multi" or even to "spot" instead of average. This could result in a better exposed stage (give it a try).

Another possibility would be to set ISO manually. I made the experience, that the f10 "likes" to switch to very high ISO-Settings to easy. Most time I use at least one step slower than the camera suggests. A slower Iso-setting should result in a crisper image due to less noise. On the other hand though, it maybe a little more difficult to get the shot without camera shake, because the f10 will likely try to balance your iso-setting with a longer shutter speed.

My third tip is to use the "final three" mode of your camera. In case you don't already know: "final three" means a fast burst of shots that you can continue until you think you got the right frame. Then you let the shutter go and the camera will save the last three frames.
As our colleagues here stated already, in Burst-Mode you will find a better chance to catch at least one frame without camera-movement or movement on the stage. Other cameras can burst in high speed without limitation to only three frames. But because of the "final three" mode, it is you who decides which three are saved. It also spares you the work to delete zillions of waste photos. If you expect the artist to do something spectactular (a stage dive or whatever you consider worth taking a picture of), you can press the shutter an burst as long as it takes. Directly after the "action" is over, you let the shutter go. And if you're lucky you just got "right in the act".

Last tip: try, mix, combine and try again...
Greetings
Ivan
Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:18 PM   #55

Ivan Karamasov wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

May I ask, what makes you go to these concerts that regularly? Do you know the artists?

Concerning your shots I would say, all four prove once more that one should not expect wonders from a tiny compact cam.
The Ixus 40 did the job really suprisingly good, I think. The f10 shots do not look better in my eyes, however, I cannot judge it seriously since I do not know the exif-data. IMO both (digi-zoom and no digi-zoom) shots are a little over-exposed. Maybe you should try switching photometry settings to "multi" or even to "spot" instead of average. This could result in a better exposed stage (give it a try).

Another possibility would be to set ISO manually. I made the experience, that the f10 "likes" to switch to very high ISO-Settings to easy. Most time I use at least one step slower than the camera suggests. A slower Iso-setting should result in a crisper image due to less noise. On the other hand though, it maybe a little more difficult to get the shot without camera shake, because the f10 will likely try to balance your iso-setting with a longer shutter speed.

My third tip is to use the "final three" mode of your camera. In case you don't already know: "final three" means a fast burst of shots that you can continue until you think you got the right frame. Then you let the shutter go and the camera will save the last three frames.
As our colleagues here stated already, in Burst-Mode you will find a better chance to catch at least one frame without camera-movement or movement on the stage. Other cameras can burst in high speed without limitation to only three frames. But because of the "final three" mode, it is you who decides which three are saved. It also spares you the work to delete zillions of waste photos. If you expect the artist to do something spectactular (a stage dive or whatever you consider worth taking a picture of), you can press the shutter an burst as long as it takes. Directly after the "action" is over, you let the shutter go. And if you're lucky you just got "right in the act".

Last tip: try, mix, combine and try again...
Greetings
Ivan
Know the artists? ... I wish! ...

No I just love tosee a 'live' band and try to see as many as possible. I'm always very busy around the xmas time as everyone is playing somewhere! ... next is in a week or so.

Yes the IXUS 400 did do well. As the start of the thread states I felt going to the IXUS 50 was a step backwards, hence looking for a better camera for the job.

I appreciate i'm probably trying to acheive the impossible maybe with a P&S in these kids of settings, but you can but try! ...

I tried using several types of settings. I played about with the Phtometry settings, but left it on 'spot' pretty much most of the time.

I also tried the 'final three', plus the 'first three' but not sure if it's just me, but when I examined them on the PC, pics took in this mode wasn't as clear ?!

Oh and flashing orange LED is a flat battery ...lol. Altho not so funny that it was taken out with as good as a full charge! ... hmmm, dodgy battery maybe, but if only that I can live with it as spare batteries are not expensive.

I'll try and get the exif data on those pics and post it here.

Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:38 PM   #56

Ok, I've got the exif data here for all these 4 pics.

Data is for the pics in the order they appear:

For all I know I've used to wrong settings on all, but I am no pro! ... and just try diff settings here and there and hope for the best!

Hope this helps.

Old Dec 12, 2005, 6:15 PM   #57

well it does help a little,

As you can see, the f10 choose iso 1600 at all times, even though there was still some "reserve" with the shutter speed (1/300) in the first image taken with the f10.
1/300 sec. is pretty fast and with a speed of 1/150 the camera should have been able to use iso-800 at least giving you a better quality.
The last picture on the other hand, looks much better to me, now that I know the circumstances. With such a slow shutter speed and such a high iso-setting, I can't think of anything more to do. Unfortunately the lens of the f10 is quite slow at tele-photo. Otherwise there could be a chance. That way I don't think anyone could have done much better.
Maybe you should make up a fake press-ID to get you into these concert halls with a decent dslr and without paying the entrance fee.

The compacts do not seem quite fit for these kinds of jobs.
ciao
Ivan
Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 6:27 PM   #58

Ivan Karamasov wrote:
Quote:
Maybe you should make up a fake press-ID to get you into these concert halls with a decent dslr and without paying the entrance fee.

The compacts do not seem quite fit for these kinds of jobs.
ciao
Ivan
If only! ...

I'll just show you a few others, ALL taken with my IXUS 400 which with hindsight maybe was a wrong move getting rid of ...

It just seemed to produce better pics than the IXUS 50 and the Fuji F10! ...

All pics here had zoom, but I cannot recall how much and if Digital.

I dunno, but a DSLR is out of the question.

Booooooooo! ...lol

Old Dec 12, 2005, 6:45 PM   #59

Paul, thanks for sharing the photos .
Consider not bad for compact camera.
If u compare canon and fuji, seem the color for fuji more natural.
With ISO 1600, I think quality is quite good.
I guess you make a right choice :-)
Maybe wait another few year to see a compact camera with high ISO and high zoom :G
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:44 PM   #60

armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
Maybe wait another few year to see a compact camera with high ISO and high zoom :G
I'm waiting! ...

Cheers