Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:05 PM   #61

Now that you have the camera, a couple of suggestions:

1) Lock out the digital zoom. Never use it. Simply crop what you want later to avoid doing things like chopping off folks heads:

2) Get a big memory card. One good shot out of four or five is probably as good as you should expect - in particular when you are still learning how to use the camera. Burst mode is not a bad idea and that will eat your memory real quick so have lots.

3) Lock the ISO at 800 instead of letting the camera run it up to 1600. At least for part of the time so you can see how much difference it makes.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:23 AM   #62

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Now that you have the camera, a couple of suggestions:

1) Lock out the digital zoom. Never use it. Simply crop what you want later to avoid doing things like chopping off folks heads:

2) Get a big memory card. One good shot out of four or five is probably as good as you should expect - in particular when you are still learning how to use the camera. Burst mode is not a bad idea and that will eat your memory real quick so have lots.

3) Lock the ISO at 800 instead of letting the camera run it up to 1600. At least for part of the time so you can see how much difference it makes.
1) Well without digital zoom, I will need better seats (not always possible) or will need to enter the 'mosh pit' and I don't really see me getting a steady pic in there ...

2) Camera came with 256 which is giving me 85 shots. That's ample normally but year with some 'burst' mode I'll feel more comfortable with a 512. I normally keep less than 50% but with burst maybe yeah I'll be ditching loads!

3) I'll give this a go.

Oh and as for chopping heads off ...lol, that prob wasn't the best example, but hey if you chop a head off, then just chop the lot off! ... :-)

Not the best job, but with limited time, and just to make a point ...
Pauldw501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:59 AM   #63

Pauldw501 wrote:
Quote:
1) Well without digital zoom, I will need better seats (not always possible) or will need to enter the 'mosh pit' and I don't really see me getting a steady pic in there ...
No. Just make sure the subject of interest is in the frame, crop and resample (if needed) later. If that is not exactly the same thing your camera does with digital zoom, it is closer than newlyweds on their wedding night.

About the only thing that digital zoommight do for you is better metering - and I am not sure it will do even that.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:23 AM   #64

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
No. Just make sure the subject of interest is in the frame, crop and resample (if needed) later. If that is not exactly the same thing your camera does with digital zoom, it is closer than newlyweds on their wedding night.

About the only thing that digital zoommight do for you is better metering - and I am not sure it will do even that.
Yeah I'm not a fan of digital zoom, but when your so far away, it's too tempting NOT to use it ...

I'd be very interested in seeing how the Nikon S4 (or any other high optical zoom pocketable camera) would've compared with these kind of distances / shots, but as we all know you can't simply borrow a camera from the shop for the night to test.

I'm happy with the F10, and need to do a lot of playing about with settings and stuff and I'm sure I could produce better pics.

Time will tell.

In the meantime I'm gonna look to see what the smallest DSLR is ?!

Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:33 AM   #65

Paul, Wish u Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2006 to you.
Just for your info, recently I just saw one compact camera with 7.1x optical zoom + Image stabilizer. Just a thought only :-)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...h_caplior3.asp
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:56 AM   #66

A point and shoot camera has a relatively small sensor. In order to get a high pixel count they must be very small and packed in like sardines. This results in a lot of 'noise' (in film terms 'grain') being recorded along with the picture data. The iso is merely a fancy way of saying 'amplification', so the noise is amplified along with the picture.

In order to get a picture in low light situations w/o a tripod at a reasonable shutter speed you MUST HAVE:

1) 'fast' lens, f2 or better

2) high iso 800 or better

IMO: there is no P&S camera today capable of this

i would recomend the KM 5D DSLR with either the 50mm 1.7 or (big bucks) the 85mm f1.4

this camera will give quality 8x10 prints at iso up to 1600

attached from KM 7D w/ 50mm f1,7

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:23 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 1:21 PM   #67

armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
Paul, Wish u Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2006 to you.
Just for your info, recently I just saw one compact camera with 7.1x optical zoom + Image stabilizer. Just a thought only :-)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...h_caplior3.asp

Thank you very much, and the same back to you! ...

The Ricoh looks nice, and I'll have a little read about it now.

I'm very happy with the F10 and took these shots the other night :

There is a lot of noise in these pics that isn't there on the orignal. I guess it's compression used by the hosting site ...

Altho these were all taken with optical zoom. I was lucky as could get pretty close to the stage, but can't help feel that as this isn't normal, the bigger optical zoom will certainly be something that will help.

Cheers

Old Dec 24, 2005, 1:40 PM   #68

I've ONLY just seen the option to attach an image ...lol, so I've included one of the prev pics, but hopefully this will show the camera's performance better as I'm sure the hosting site compress it!

Anyway :

Attached Images

Old Dec 24, 2005, 1:44 PM   #69

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
A point and shoot camera has a relatively small sensor. In order to get a high pixel count they must be very small and packed in like sardines. This results in a lot of 'noise' (in film terms 'grain') being recorded along with the picture data. The iso is merely a fancy way of saying 'amplification', so the noise is amplified along with the picture.

In order to get a picture in low light situations w/o a tripod at a reasonable shutter speed you MUST HAVE:

1) 'fast' lens, f2 or better

2) high iso 800 or better

IMO: there is no P&S camera today capable of this

i would recomend the KM 5D DSLR with either the 50mm 1.7 or (big bucks) the 85mm f1.4

this camera will give quality 8x10 prints at iso up to 1600

attached from KM 7D w/ 50mm f1,7
Yes I think I've learnt this now, but cannot use a DSLR so have to use the best P&S I can find for the job.

I'm very happy with the F10's results as I said, but extra optical zoom will aid better shots when I CAN'T get so close! ...

Old Dec 24, 2005, 8:55 PM   #70

Those picture pretty clear. also seem a nice concert
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote