Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:13 PM   #1

I just purchased the Kodak z760 camera new for $180.00 plus tax. I was wanting to know if anybody would give me some input on this camera, I am a big dirt late model race fan I will be using it in the pit area of race tracks taking pictures of still race cars and cars going thru the pits at low speeds and sometimes in low light areas what kind of job will it do I will be enlarging some pictures to a 8x10 it is all for my own personel use and hobby. One more thing our high speed shots completely out of the question thanks for any help. Mike
75FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:51 PM   #2

Wow, great price. where did you get it? This camera has been on the maket since 5 May 05 (that is 7 months) but has yet to producea singlereview response from anyone other thannovices(" I love my new baby. I shot pictures of my new baby with my Kodak Z760. I love my pictures.Therefore the camera is great, I'd recommend to anyone." )

Some of us arefrustrated to tears with the lack of professional digital camera reviews.In the auto industry, themanufacturers will leap at the opportunity to lend a newly released model for a week to a professional driver who writesfor a magazine or a syndicated newspaper column. Digital camera manufacturers for some oddreason are still living in the dark ages of marketing. They simply don't do it. Beyond a spec sheet whichusually takes some digging to find, and light commentary. ( "...at the single touch of abutton you can share all these memories of these special moments with all your friends and doting grandparents") you'll be hard pressed to find much out about your new camera.

I'd like to hear Steve's response to this problem.
dearwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:24 PM   #3

My dear watson,

Imagine yourself being a professional camera reviewer for just a moment or two. In order to do a complete, fair, honest and thorough review of a camera, how long do you think it would take? A week? More? Let's say a week...how many cameras could you test in a year? 52? 50? 40? Remember, it's not just taking pictures, it's trying out every function and feature the camera has to offer...then writing a report about it. How long would it take you to review every camera currently on the market? You would never finish, because there are hundreds out there now, and new cameras are being released all of the time...probably more than one a week. How anxious would you be to test another compact, 3X zoom, less than $200 point and shoot camera? Not very? See what I mean?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 4:40 PM   #4

Thanks Mr. Holmes, er MR. HUN:

very insigtful perspective I never considered before. You gentlemen would be swamped , wouldn't you. Even Moses needed help and had to go to Jethro to not be consumed by the magnana .. oh, vastness of his task. What would it be like:idea: ifeach manufacturersent an on lineletter to all the reviewers who post on line, offeringthe test model ofeachsoon-to-be-released camera and you as reviewers got to sign up to perform the review iaw your available time and inclination, maybe on a first come, first servedbasis.If the mfrs did instantfeedback to youas soon as there were an offer to review, then reviewers wouldn't all be clammoring:P for the same camera while other cameras went out utterly an orphan and an old maid.More reviews would be performed inanorderly fashion. And we as the buying publicseeking further light, knowledge and guidance from your expertise :-), as well as the manufacturers, who would do infinitely, or at least whole bunches better:-), bygetting their product properly introduced, would be very well served and very happy.:-):-)
Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:27 PM   #5

Reviewers make their money by popularity...the more hits they get on their site, the more money they make. When people buy from their advertisers, they make money...they are in business to make money. They do not work as a team - it's every man for himself. Kinda like a newspaper - the greater your circulation, the more you can charge for advertising.

Look at the posts to these forums...most of the discussions are about the latest, greatest, hottest cameras...the FZ30, the S9000, the S2 IS, the F10, the latest DSLR's, etc. You review the cameras that the most people want to know about, the biggest zooms, the fastest lenses, the best quality - not the basic, entry level, run-of-the-mill, low budget toy cameras...simple economics. How many people would subscribe to a newspaper that didn't cover world news, national news, and sports?

Maybe there's a reason that nobody has reviewed the Z760...maybe you should consider another camera.

the Hun

Old Dec 3, 2005, 4:05 AM   #6

I think you are asking me tobelieve that thereis more interest in reviews of the high dollar camera than there are of the more affordable models, and I'm going to agree with that. But I have a hunch there are more Fords sold than Lincolns, more Chevrolets sold than Cadillacs andthere are at least as many people interested in knowing if it is safe bet to buy a Honda or Hyundai than there are asking the same question aboutthe most expensive Beemer or Lexus. I would almost bet that there will be more under $300digital cameras sold this year than over $800 dslr's, or maybe even over $500 digital cameras of any kind. But I would ask you before putting my money down. I'm sure you'd know best. Of course, if the new Kodak Z760 is a totally unknown camera, what you said willalmostcertainly be a self fulfilling prophesy, won't it? Nobody really cares about it. I certainly am not going to leap for a $220 Walmarttotally unknown camera, even if it does have more megapiztels than 80% of whatever else is out there for the same money.My guess is that KODAK made a huge and disasterous blunder by not payingto get that review done inMay, to coincide with the Kodak Z760 camera being placed on the market in plenty of time for the market to be come familiar with it and devour it for the CMAS rush. If they hadgotten the review out there, their sales tally today would be at least double, and would be 5X or 10Xwhat they will now tally by 24 December, providing that it reviews as a decent, solid camera and not a dog. Whatdo you think??

If more people are reading and dreaming $1200 dslr and then buying the $150-250 p&s, you will get a lot of interest hits on the high ticket items. Ford marketers stated they were confident the new model T-bird sold a lot of regular Fords. There has to be more truth than poetry in that, doesn't there? Still, the dreamers have to come home to mama. And the high ticket review readers are not going to close their eyes when they buy what they can afford, the low dollar digital camera, are they? They will read everything they can get their hands on(that you've written about) in their price range after getting all fired upandin a "gotta have it"mind setreading(reviews you have written) about the neat stuff. In a word, "the neat stuff sells the cheap stuff."

Old Dec 3, 2005, 3:59 PM   #7

You're right about one thing, more cheap cameras will be purchased than expensive cameras this holiday season. I'd be willing to bet, if you walked into a Best Buy or Sears right now, their camera departments would be filled with shoppers, looking at digital cameras (safe bet, because I was in both stores last weekend). I'd also be willing to bet that most of them know absolutely nothing about digital cameras, have not purchased a camera magazine, have not read an online review, and have not lurked in any forums such as this. They are shopping strictly by price...when they see a camera in their price range (probably $100 to $149), they will buy it. Some of them will opt for brand recognition...they will pay a few dollars more for a Kodak rather than a Casio...a Nikon rather than a Samsung, because they have heard of the name and figure it should be a safe bet. Some are looking for a small camera...some are looking for a flashy looking camera...some will buy a camera just because it has more megapixels than the one next to it. Some will ask a salesperson for a recommendation..."Does this camera take good pictures?"..."Isn't Canon better than Fuji?" (I overheard some of the questions)

Take a look on the Fujifilm forum and take a look at a thread entitled, S9000...the one with over 45,000 views and over 600 replies. The S9000 isn't a $7000 DSLR, it a $550 prosumer cam...but it has new and exciting features - that's what people want to read about - 10x zoom, ISO 1600, 0.01 second lag times, 9 MP resolution...not another $150 P&S with 400 ISO, a 3x zoom, and an optional docking system. 45,000 hits in a four month period! You can bet that every camera reviewer in the world couldn't wait to get his/her hands on the S9000, after it was first announced.

I can understand your frustration with not seeing any reviews for a camera that you would like to buy. Maybe you could start your own camera review website...one with a twist - only review cameras that no one else has bothered with. You'd probably get as much activity as the Maytag repairman.

the Hun

Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:01 AM   #8

Thanks, Mr. Hun. We are both swimming upstream.

That guy 75fan still won't caugh up where he bought the Z760, will he? Probably a typo, paid $100 more than what hesaid in hisQuestion.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 7:22 AM   #9

I'd say typo - they're selling for more than that on ebay (with dock)...and no tax there.

Good luck.

the Hun

Old Dec 4, 2005, 7:00 PM   #10

dearwatson wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Mr. Hun. We are both swimming upstream.

That guy 75fan still won't caugh up where he bought the Z760, will he? Probably a typo, paid $100 more than what hesaid in hisQuestion.
No that was not a typo I work at Wal-mart I bought this camera on black friday for $199.00 then I got my 10% discount which brought it to $180.00 plus tax. I know this is no were close to a top of the line camera but will it take good pictures I am not talking about birbs and bee's I mean car's and people sometimes in low light?????
75FAN is offline   Reply With Quote