Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2005, 1:35 PM   #1

I know I know. The guy whose opinion I respect at the camera store warned me, "if you like the features of a film SLR, you WILL NOT be satisfied with a prosumer camera." I thought I could get the features of an SLR for shooting my daughter's sports and activities in a camera that will also fit in my purse to take to parties. I was trying to save a buck too. I should have just sucked-it-up and bought 2 cameras. A small pocket size for parties, and a dSLR for my hobby-photography. I mean, come on, I used my film SLR for 15 years. I'm worth it!

I purchased a Canon G6. And it's fine; it really is. It takes great photos. But, it is not small enough to fit in my purse...well, it will fit in a big purse, if nothing else is in it. And it does not give me all of the features of an SLR, like no delay when shooting,less noise at low ISOs, and only one interchangeable lens is available. So it is more like an oversized party camera that I can change the settings on, which I always do...I don't know why I never shoot in auto mode.

Now I'm looking to upgrade to a dSLR. Money IS an object, but not at the cost of features. I have checked out the reviews on the Canon EOS 20D, Canon Rebel XT (350), and Nikon D70. I would love to have a live histogram, but it isn't a deal-breaker.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Angie

Attached Images

AngieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:34 PM   #2

KONICA MINOLTA 5D
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:09 AM   #3

Looks like a great camera! Anti-shake...I like that feature! My film SLR is a Minolta and I love that. But I hadn't even thought of looking at the Minoltas for digital.

Thanks so much for the response!
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:12 AM   #4

if your present film minolta is a maxxum (auto focus)ALL YOUR LENSES WILL WORK W/ 5D
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:28 AM   #5

Unfortunately, my Minolta has NO auto features...so I'm out of luck there. :sad: But I don't feel badly about it. I've had it for about 17 years. It's given me good service. :-)

I've read the reviews on the 5D, and I'm very excited to go to a store and actually take a look at it.

Have any suggestions on a pocket-sized point and shoot? (that I will probably rarely use...but should have anyway)

Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:30 AM   #6

there is a minolta 2x (optical element) adapter which will permit the use of MC/MD lenses FULLY MANUALLY on a maxxum based camera - $185 @B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

$40 - direct converter - quality?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...amp;Submit.y=9

Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:39 AM   #7

i am prejudiced in favor of Fuji for point and shoots

xD card, compact, good optics, AA batteries

(the KM 5D with a std lens will fit in a LARGE coat pocket)