Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2005, 3:13 AM   #1

Hello everybody~~~I'm hoping that I might be able to get a little bit of advice from some of the regulars here (I'v been visiting this site since 1999, but certainly would consider worthy of actually providing advice to others....).As a sports fan, I'm hoping to accomplish something this year that i'v wanted to do for sometime, and that's to attend an event in each of North America's major professional leagues.* I intend to see an NBA, NFL and MLB game in Seattle, a CFL and NHL game in Vancouver and a CHAMP Car race in Edmonton.Naturally, I'd like to capture as much of this digitally as possible.The Canon S2 IS appears to provide ample flexibility: 12x optical zoom lens w/ image stabilization, 5mp CCD, burst mode for fast moving events, etc.* It's also reasonably compact and, thankfully, uses AA batteries (yay, rechargables!).However, I'm simply not sold on its performance as a good camera for capturing sports simply because I'v never used it or a camera of its ilk.* Firstly, how would this camera perform indoors at a hockey or basketball game?* I'm certain the 12x lens would bring me close enough to the action but would I get a quality shot?* I suppose this question actually pertains to all events, what kind of quality can I expect from sports?* Is there a particular setting that I should use?Well, any advice or suggestions you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.* If you can recomemend any modes, flash cards or even another similar camera to use, please let me know!* I fully anticipate dragging whatever camera Ib buy to a lot of events so I want to make sure I grab the best one~Thanks in advance!Mark Hamilton
Sporty G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2005, 3:17 AM   #2

Also, I apologize for the lack of formatting in that post but it seemed to dissapear when I posted the thread.*
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:52 AM   #3

Stabilization doesn't help for subject motion. Your shutter speeds are dependent on available f-stop and ISO. There isn't really a magic setting. The camera will be giving you the fastest shutter speed it can zoomed out to 12X. Crank up the ISO and you get noise.

The Panasonic FZ20 is a half-stop faster at full zoom than the S2. That isn't a lot but it would give you 1/90 second in the same situation the S2 would give around 1/60. The 3fps burst that recycles very quickly is handy for sports as well. The S2 has a decent burst mode as well – just not quite as good as the FZ20. It is larger than the S2.

The Fuji S9000 lets you crank up the ISO further, but it is too noisy. You might want to look at the Fuji S5200. It has a much less noisy sensor and you might do well for sports with it. It has noise similar to the F10, which is quite acceptable at ISO 400 and has a useable ISO1600. It has the same aperture at full zoom as the S2 but is slightly slower than the S2 at wide. Even so, the extra ISO capabilities might be good for indoor sports.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:13 PM   #4

The S2 should do ok at indoor hockey events. But, only because the ice reflects a lot of light. All the images I took at a recent hockey event turned out ok. Here is an example image (zoomed in pretty far) of the players on the ice. The camera was set to ISO200.

As slipe mentioned, the FZ20 will have a slightly better chance at getting better images, simply because of the F2.8 at full zoom (compared to F3.2). IMO it won't be a big enough difference to make a difference.

The S9000 and S5200 would be better suited, due to their ability to use ISO800 (1600 in a pinch) and still produce a decent image, butthe zoom range isn't quite as far on them...and if you're at full 300mm or 380mm, you will have to be much more careful to prevent camera shake.

I highly doubt the S2 will work well at indoor Basketball games.

swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:25 PM   #5
E.T

swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
and if you're at full 300mm or 380mm, you will have to be much more careful to prevent camera shake.
IMO if shutter speed isn't fast enough for getting shake free shots then it propably won't be enough for stopping motion of target unless it moves slowly.

And Canon S2's lens is F3.5 at tele.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:52 PM   #6

E.T wrote:
Quote:
swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
and if you're at full 300mm or 380mm, you will have to be much more careful to prevent camera shake.
IMO if shutter speed isn't fast enough for getting shake free shots then it propably won't be enough for stopping motion of target unless it moves slowly.

And Canon S2's lens is F3.5 at tele.
That's a good point. And I agree, for the most part. As you can see, the image I posted was taken at 1/160th. Just enough to stop the action, though it could have been better with another stop in there. But, if you're at 380mm (the S5200's limit) and you're not careful enough at a 1/160th setting (or even 1/320th setting), you mightexperience slightcamera shake (without IS).

There seems to be a fine line in situations like these...

Oh ya...F3.5 for the S2 at 12x. S5200 is F3.2 at 1x. I get them all confused!
Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:10 PM   #7
E.T

swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
That's a good point.* And I agree, for the most part.* As you can see, the image I posted was taken at 1/160th.* Just enough to stop the action, though it could have been better with another stop in there.
So IS can give one stop longer shutter time than longest shake free shutter time.

Rule of thumb for longest shake free shutter time is 1 second divided by used 35mm eq. focal length. (1/380s for 380mm and 1/420s for 420mm)

For daylight photography in outside light level should be always good enough.

EDIT: In action photography slow shutter times won't work because all you get is blur. Shutter time has to be fast enough for stopping motion.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 3:33 PM   #8

E.T wrote:
Quote:
So IS can give one stop longer shutter time than longest shake free shutter time.
With the S2's IS, I've actually had decent success taking 1/8th second handheld exposures at 432mm, 1/16th with much greater success.

I've tried 1/4sas well, but have yet to get a clear image! Makes me wonder if my S2's IS is even working!! :lol:j/k
Old Dec 3, 2005, 1:43 AM   #9

swgod98,*do you have any more pics you could share?* I'd love to see some full resolution shots that you've taken at the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim! *If you'd like, feel free to email me at [email protected] .* Also,*I think I'v decided to grab the Canon S2 IS but I think the real challenge for me will be learning how to use it properly...* AKA ~ stopping fast action in both indoor and outdoor events.* PS~ thanks for all the responses guys, they are much appreciated.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:00 PM   #10

Sporty G wrote:
Quote:
swgod98,do you have any more pics you could share?
Well, only a few pics were taken at the Pond. I wasn't there, just my camera I loaned it out to someone who doesn't really know how to use it. I set it to ISO200 for him and put it on Av mode.

As you can see in most of the shots of the players, it stopped most of the action. However, the shots taken of people in the crowd had motion blur and camera shake. Check the EXIF data.

It was really pushing it for the S2. I think the S5200 would have had it easier, but the zoom range might not be good enough for good shots across the ice.

These should all be unedited, full size images.

http://www.danshobbyshack.com/cgi-bi...pl?folder=pond