Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:39 PM   #1

such as 1D, 5D, 10D and 20D - when certain references are being made to digital cameras? I am looking into getting another DC, and am looking possibly at the Canon EOS 5D, the Canon Rebel XT, the Olympus EVolt E-500, or the Nikon D2X (although I have been given to understand that cost for the latter is for the body only - no lens). I have read a few reviews on these cameras, and some responders would mention that certain aspects were better on their 5D, or 20D - and I just wondered what that "D" designation stood for.

I have never had such a caliber of the above mentioned cameras and - as a hobbyist - have been shooting with an entry level Olympus C-740UZ. It is a nice little camera, but I have found that it doesn't fare well in low light situations, and - besides - I am looking into making some money by doing some serious photographic work. There is a learning curve to just about anything, these days, and I'm looking forward to stepping into those waters. To some of you (maybe even many of you) it may seem as though the cameras that I am looking at would be way too advanced for me - and that may be true. But I would rather have something that I could grow into, and have a good number of service years with, as opposed to finding myself - after a short period of time - wishing that I had done better with my purchase decision. Since, however, I have your attention, allow me to pose this question: what digital camera would you suggest for someone in my shoes? One thing that is a must is that the LCD screen must be 2.5" (I am far-sighted).
Nathan Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:33 AM   #2
Super Moderator

D stands for Digital. Tricky eh? :lol:

The big thing to remember is that you're going to be buying into a system. And the camera body is going to be the least of your expenses!

In the long run you're going to spend a lot more on lenses. Give us an idea of how much your total budget is going to be and we can make some suggestions.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:47 AM   #3

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
D stands for Digital. Tricky eh? :lol:

Explain XT then smarty pants :blah:.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:50 AM   #4

XT = Xtra-Terrestrial? :lol::roll:

Quote:
Explain XT then. . .
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 3:14 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Explain XT then smarty pants :blah:.
Also called the 350D - in Japan it's the Digital Kiss or something equally weird.

There's no explaining what marketing people will come up with I'm afraid. :blah:
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 7:11 AM   #6

I would think it simply stands for something like eXTreme or eXTra.

The latter, possibly as the 350D has a little extragoing forit, compared to it's predecessor.

But as you say Craig, who knows why they come up with what they come up with sometimes :roll:.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 7:36 AM   #7

eXtended Technology? eXposure Trinity?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 9:25 AM   #8

No matter what it's called, Nathan Alston, if you respond to Craig's (peripatetic), request for more info on budget, he or someone else may be able to advise you further.

The cameras you list are all very good, with some being exceptional. The 20D for example, is a fine camera as Craig can testify, but the 5D is a different kind of beast. It has a full frame sensor, the same as a 35mm film camera and is geared more toward the slightly lower end of the professional market.

As has been pointed out, you are likely to be going to spend much more on lenses than you do on the body, certainly if you consider the Rebel, being the cheaper of the bunch (I think).

So, come up with a budget for your initial purchase and what you might be prepared to outlay in the very near future. The kit lenses, although not the best available, are more than adequate to use while you familiarise yourself with your new camera and decide what your needs are.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:16 AM   #9

Stevekin,

Thanks to you (and everyone else, also) for responding, and sharing your knowledge on the subject. As far as a budget is concerned, I can't really speak on that at this time. This is because I am trying to get help from an organization that has been put in place to help disabled individuals - whether it be within employment or equipment concerns. I just recently underwent a spine surgery, and it doesn't appear that I will be able to go back to my job. It, in fact, has been determined that I should not attempt to work for more than two to three hours at a time. There are two things that I am pretty good at (though I really don't mean to pat myself on the back), and they are woodworking & photography. I haven't really had much to mention, regarding photographic equipment, but have often been told that I had a very good 'subject eye', and that what I have done would have merited an exceptional classification if I'd had better equipment to work with. All I know is that I love photography, and am now looking to learn enough to begin generating some income with it. I don't know what the above mentioned organization's allowable amount is, for eligible candidates and - as already mentioned - the lens can far exceed the cost of the camera itself. I just wanted to make sure that I got a good base (camera body) to work from - and move on from there as work would surface.

I thought that I was really choosing something when I zeroed in on that Canon EOS 5D selection. I mean, for nearly $4000 (the prices that I have found) you would think that it is a professional grade camera - and I don't mean at the 'bottom' of that classification. So, apparently, that "D" classification stands for quality of any particular line. Considering this possibility, I am going to search and see if there is a "20D" with that Canon EOS. If so, then I am sure that the cost of such would be considerably elevated also.

My initial applications? Weddings (as well as other events) and Portraits. I also like the idea of getting into nature shots.

================================================== ==========

Ok, I just checked a little further - and did find the Canon EOS 20D. This camera, however, is cheaper than the 5D and has just 8.2 megapixels - whereas the 5D sports 12+ megapixels. How is the 20D supposed to be better than the 5D? And please keep in mind that I am not trying to be funny, here - I really would like to know.

Blessings,

Nate

Nathan Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:18 AM   #10

Sorry for giving the wrong impression Nate.

The 20D is a very fine camera and many users will make a living using one.

I didn't, however, mean that it was better than the new 5D. And when I say the lower end of the professional market, I should have explained better. What I mean is, it is the cheapest price for a full frame sensor camera available today. The marketing term is usually 'affordable' . It doesn't necessarily mean it is the worst 'Pro' camera, I don't have the knowledge to distinguish which is best or worst.

The 'top' end of the market, for Canon at least, is accepted to be the 1Ds MarkII (16.61Mp actual). Which at launch last year cost $8000 approx. !! You would of course find it for less now.

My sympathies at your condition and sincerely hope you come to terms with your situation the best way you can.

I find it admirable that you are prepared to look ahead and do something with your life to the best of your ability, circumstances prevailing.

And now you have explained your potential method of purchasing a camera I would suggest you find out what allowances may be available to you and then come back.

I'm sure Peripatetic will be able to advise you further, as will any number of members here who have a lot more knowledge on the types of camera you are interested in.

In the meantime, keep researching, asking questions, then, when you do know your budget, you will be ready to make the plunge.

Regards,

Steve.