Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:26 AM   #11

Just bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 in black. Has "best bang for the buck" in my opinion.

And I find noise being not too bad.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:17 PM   #12
jss

Yes the Panasonic FZ5 is a super camera, at $348.00. But with a special Amazon.com I have, I can get the Fuji or Oly for about $75-$85 less, then you figure in that I would have to buy another Panasonic rechargable battery that the FZ5 uses and you are probally over a 100 bucks, and also, and I know you did not know this part, but i got plenty of xd storage already, would have to buy a memory card also for the FZ5. But any way thanks for the recomendation, I love all the Panasonic brand stuff out there and there cameras are among the best out there. The big killer is they use there own battery instead of the very common AA's. I hope when i buy another new digital camera in a few years that it will be a Panasonic.
jss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:23 PM   #13

Hi there,I've had the Fuji S5200 for two months now. There is no doubt in my mind that it can deliver a 2-stop advantage in iso sensitivities over its competitors, unfortunately you would have to shoot using RAW to achieve this. Fuji's highly touted Real Photo Processing is imho pretty awful, especially at iso800 and 1600, and it's just too bad you cannot disable the in-camera noise reduction unless you shoot in RAW.

Well, you say, I will shoot RAW then. I initially had this same thought, but while it sounds like it's doable, it's not very practical in field test.Yesterday I tried to take some indoor no-flash pics of kids in RAW, and it was just too slow and I missed many photo opportunities. So I had to switch to jpeg mode and managed to take 350+ pictures in a two hour period, most of them at iso800. Try taking this many pictures in RAW and you would need four 1GB xD Card. They all have good exposure, more than half of them was fast enough to freeze action, unfortunately they all exhibit the same watercolor effect so common in aggressive NR, not only that, but all the skin tones have very glaring yellow-blotches and it was not easy to remove. Note the noise reduction effect is most noticeable in people's faces, but alot less so in other subjects. If you take a picture of a flower, you probably will not spot it.

So if you like to get the most out of this camera, you must use RAW, otherwise just shoot up to iso400 and you should be happy with most pictures out of the camera.

curtis
curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 4:13 PM   #14

jss wrote:
Quote:
the hum

You are right about the zoom on playback not sure where I read that you couldn't do that. thanks for the correction. The anti blurr feature is what really got my attention in the Fuji 5200, but i have read a few places that that is the same think as sports mode or an action mode. Also was woundering how well the Fuji would compare to the Oly SP500uz in pictures involving moving suject? Or how does anti blurr compare to the Predictive AF system that is in the Oly?
Predictive AF is comparable to the Fuji's Continuous AF feature, if not the same thing with a different name.The Fuji's Anti-Blursetting isa seperate function altogether that basically boostsISO sensitivity, although there's more to it than just that.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 4:52 PM   #15

Anti-blur is pretty much Fuji's method of using higher iso to achieve Image stabilization. Basically it will calculate the shutter speed needed to avoid camera shake at different zoom setting. If the available light is too low to achieve proper shutter speed at iso800 (it does not go any higher in anti-blur mode), then flash will be needed to be employed as well.

To simulate action mode, you may want to use shutter priority as it's more effective at freezing really fast subjects like race cars.

If Fuji would add the option to disable in-camera noise reduction, this camera would just leave other budget ultrazooms in the dust in indoor photography as well as outdoor action photography. Too bad they mostly likely won't because they refuse to admit they use noise reduction to achieve noise free high iso images.

curtis
curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:19 PM   #16

I'm not sure what good being able to disable the Fuji's noise-reduction would do. The resulting pictures would be so noisythey'd be unusable, although using Neat Image or something like it might help. I don't know what the difference would be vs. using the camera's noise-reduction.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 10:48 PM   #17

jss wrote:
Quote:
... then you figure in that I would have to buy another Panasonic rechargable battery that the FZ5 uses and you are probally over a 100 bucks ...
On ebay I bought 2 rechargeables for €12 (p&p included)! OK, they're not the original ones but I haven't heard anything negative about them.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:15 AM   #18

Wow- I go away for a few days, and look at the posts that JSS's question generated.

jss: sorry about the typo. I was talking about the SP500; that was a typolisting it as the SP350. (I had just finished playing with the 350.)

the hun:I stand by my comments, the little things go a long way in the long run to improve a camera's enjoyment; and the LCD definitely looks better on the SP500 than the Fuji. Put them side by side and see.

Pick up the SP500 and tryit out, I was impressed by the way it feels and handles.I likedthe Fuji S5100; I've not tried the S5200, butit appears to be the same basic body. My biggest complaint with the Fuji was the tele-wide buttons on the back, beside the eyepiece. It always felt like you were about to stick your thumb into your eye. (I alsohear thatthe noise at the 1600 speed for the new modelto be totally unacceptable persome user comments.) But anyway, overall I did like the Fuji. However my recommendation to jss still stands: pick up both and try out the features and handling. IMHO,I think the new SP500 will have the edge.

And contrary to what someone posted, the Olympus predictive AF is not the same as the continuous AF.
Steven R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:09 PM   #19

Steven R wrote:
Quote:

And contrary to what someone posted, the Olympus predictive AF is not the same as the continuous AF.

I didn't say they were the same, just comparable, although the Fuji's user manual states thatC/AF should be used' to take pictures of a moving subject. The camera focuses continuously without pressing the shutter button'.

Old Dec 9, 2005, 4:35 PM   #20
jss

I will be making the trip to the big city this Wednsday 14th. Circuit City to look at the Oly SP500uz and Ritz camera to check out the Fuji S5200. Disadvantage of livin in the country, but lots of good snowmobile/ATV trails, & Hunting and fishing to. Oh back to the cameras now I currently own a Fuji 3800 got it not sure when maybe a few years ago shortly after it came out and a 6X zoom was a lot then especialy at that price even 3 MP was pretty good. I notice the tele-wide buttons are also just to the right of the eye piece and is not in my way at all. Though it is a bit different on 3800 than the S5200. Also I notice the movie mode is better on the Fuji S5200 than the Oly sp500. I have never compared the different qualities in movie mode to no if its a big difference or not. But i dolike to take some small movie shots from time to time. Would hope the Oly sp500 would be better than my older Fuji 3800 but i guess i will have to check the specs to see.
jss is offline   Reply With Quote