Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:29 PM   #21

Please check the comprehensive test I did and find out, it's the Ultimate ISO test done on December 5, 2005:

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...umName=album11

curtis

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what good being able to disable the Fuji's noise-reduction would do. The resulting pictures would be so noisythey'd be unusable, although using Neat Image or something like it might help. I don't know what the difference would be vs. using the camera's noise-reduction.
curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:59 PM   #22
jss

Curtis I did check the test you did for the Fuji S5200 thanks. I have been leaning towards the S5200 cause of the anti blurring mode on the camera, and of corse I have read so many good reports about this camera. I would be taking a variety of shots indoor, outdoor and some moving sujects (Kids who never stop moving, sports and my goofy cat) From what i have read the S5200 gets the edge there. I did just today come across a review site that actualy did a review on both of these models. It is http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...'S-GUIDE.htm Check it out, I think that the Fuji won in the catagories that matter the most, which is picture quality. Anybody have any thoughts or opinions on this review, which i just found today let me know. Fuji S5200 vs Olympus SP500uz
jss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:32 PM   #23

Hi there,

I uploaded some high-iso pics at a real-world setting.

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...umName=album26

Just my opinion, but I think the reviews from Digital Camera Info is not very reliable, they are not very consistent from camera to camera. For example, the low light test for the S5200 is so screw up if you look at the test patches and compare them to other cameras.

curtis
Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:38 PM   #24
jss

Thank for the latest pics. Would be nice if I could compare all this to pics taken with the Oly SP500uz. I have seen lots of pics posted with both cameras all sujects are pefectly still though and contain plenty of light. So would you say the anti blurr mode on the S5200 is not doiong its job or does it at the cost of much noise? You don't seem to impressed with your S5200, so do you think the OlySp500uz might be a better pic or perhaps going with the Panasonic FZ5 as some have said? I also noticed lots of your pics are at 800iso or 1600 if i keep it to 400 and less would thatbe better?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 6:07 PM   #25

Hi Jss,

Unlike most users, I tried not to post anything with tinted glasses. Just tell it like it is and let the pictures speak for themselves, the decision is up to you.

I am actually quite impressed with the high iso capabilities of the S5200, especially when you shoot in RAW. However, in most everyday situation, RAW has limited uses because it's slow and the file size is huge. I am less impressed at Fuji's Real Photo Technology and its use of aggressive noise reduction at iso800 and 1600, where every picture would have to be post-processed if you want to print anything larger than 4x6. If you are sticking with 4x6, the out of camera pics from iso64-800 should be good to go most of the time. At iso1600, you will have to do some post-processing to remove noticeable NR artifacts.

Many image gallery you see on the web are quite misleading because all they show you is a 1024x960 image, which can hide many shortcomings that a camera may have, such as level of noise, amount of details and sharpness.I like to post all my pics at full resolution so others can see what you get, because what is the point of getting a 5MP digicam if you can't get it to print a decent 8x10 print, where the minimum requirement is 2048x1536? If all I want is 4x6, I will just get a 2MP camera.

If you like taking no-flash pictures indoor, definitely get the S5200, it's a very capable camera, but as I mentioned, the only drawback is that it would take some post-processing to get the most out of the pictures. With the use of software like Photoshop, you can set up a batch-process routine and just leave it post-process overnight while you are sleeping, letting the computer do the work for you.

As for the anti-blur thing, similar to image stabillizer, it does not work miracles. Consider that it takes a minimum shutter speed of 1/80s to freeze moderate subject movement, and 1/250s to freeze heavy subject movement, even a camera with both I.S. and high iso capabilites will not help freeze action when you are trying to take the picture indoor.

For example, the lighting condition I had to work with at the birthday party was all over the place. The fastest shutter speed I could get was 1/50s @ iso1600 equivalent (I shot at iso800 and underexposed 1-stop because the result is better than taking at iso1600).

1/50s is not fast enough to freeze kids running around, but if you look at the pictures I posted, if you take your pictures in burst mode, some of the pics should be good enough for keeps.

OTOH, a camera with iso that can only go up to iso400 would require a shutterspeed of 1/13s for proper exposure. Too slow to capture any blur-free pic.

1/13s vs. 1/50s, there is no contest.

One thing good about digital camera is that it cost nothing to shoot after the initial investment in a memory card. I took a total of 400+ pics, 75% was good for 4x6, 25% of the 75% were good for 8x10, the rest was too blurry for keeps. I think that is a pretty good ratio, imagine taking that many pictures with film!

curtis

Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:00 PM   #26
jss

I finally made the trip to the city to check out both of these camera, Ritz to see the S5200 they stopped carrying Olympus a few years ago, and to Curcuit City to see the Oly SP500uz. They both felt fine to me, the Fuji tele-wide controls are not the best location or idea to have two seperate buttons for them. Unless the buttons were closer to each other so that I could just move my thumb a little bit to use the zoom. I like the big display on the Oly but not the hard plastic eye cup. I did look at the Pana FZ5 and the Minolta forget what it was called 12x zoom 6mp anti shake model maybe it was the Z6. they told me the movie mode on that one is pretty bad and I do some video shots with my camera now. So I might through the Panasonic FZ5 into the contest, but it would have to beat these two hands down, cause i think it will cost a little more for it. Then you though in and extra battery and memory card, all of which i do not need for the Fuji or Oly. Well any last minute thoughts let me know, and thanks to all for your input.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:24 PM   #27

I was trying to choose between the (initially S2, FZ5, H1) because wanted a long zoom again. Researching, reading forums, etc I ended up throwing the Fuji S5200 in the mix. I ruled out the S2 because it had the smallest LCD, and I can hardly use the one on my Nikon 3200 because of it's size (OK and aging eyes) and it was the same size. The Sony H1 just didn't seem to take as good pictures as the FZ5, so I ruled it out. I figured the FZ5 was for me, but the low light bothered me. That was about the time I figured, HEY! All this research but I never stopped to look at what I really shoot. Well turns out I shoot a lot of different things. Some of which I have been displeased with with the my Nikon and older cameras (by Casio was better than my Nikon, but it is only a 1.3 MP and is getting kind cranky in it's old age) is shooting things like chior, plays, shows etc. inside that my daughter is in. THe outdoor stuff seems pretty decent for almost any camera, but the inside stuff which makes up about 20% of my shooting, made me stop to think. The more I looked the better the S5200 looked. I have had mine for a week now (just in time for my daughters winter choir performance) and I was mildly shocked on how well it performed. Outdoor in good light it takes great pics. In overcast I needed to do extrem zoom pics, I used the anti-shake, with wonderful results. For me so far I think I made the best choice. But like I said, stop and take a hard look at what you really shoot, and factor that into your decsion.
Just as an example, here is a full 10X optical zoom inside the church, natural light mode using a monopod. Resized and saved in a mode to get the file size as close to 75K as I could.

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 4:24 PM   #28
jss

Hey Fofa thats a nice pic: reminds me I got choir pratice tonight. Well anyway I have just purchased the Fuji S5200, thank you all for your input. I had a deal where I could get 20% off at Amazon.com so it cost me like about $272.00 and got free shipping and they were doing a special promotion at the time, throwing in a free Fuji 256mb card as well, oh yah and no sales tax either. I should have it in a week or less, once again thanks for all the input.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:35 PM   #29
jss

Just letting you all know that my Fuji S5200 arived a few days before Christmas. Sofar I have only taken a few pics with it, just trying it out taking pics of different things in different modes, and yes the anti-blurr does work. I think it's a big step up from my Fuji 3800. I even liked the movie mode a lot, I filmed my cat opening his Christmas present (catnip mouse), didn't take him long to get it open or to cut me open when I tried to take the mouse away to throw it in another room for him. Well anyway thanks for your input just letting you all no that I enjoy my new camera and think I with all your help made the right choice. And in such a competitive market I still think some of the other choices would of made me happy as well. Perhaps in a few years I will be ready to upgrade once again. I have a feeling it will still be a point and shoot model maybe anti-blurr and Image Stabalization will both be built in by then, and the processors will most likey improve as well. As far as DSLR's hmmmm I dout it, my friend who has a Canon Rebel just bought a new lense 80-300mm and paid $600.00 for it and said that was a very good deal. My S5200 I believe is 38-380mm and cost me $272.00 But we'll see.