Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2005, 5:01 PM   #1
jss

Can't decide on which of these new cameras to get. Even after reading the few customer reviews and very few professional reviews I am still undecided. Was leaning towards the Fuji but I can get the Olympus for a little less $$ and it has 6MP vs 5. Any help would be appreciated.
jss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2005, 6:04 PM   #2

Both companies make good cameras...it all depends on what is more important to you and the type of pictures you plan on taking. One MP (the difference between 5 and 6 MP) is negligible...the difference between ISO 400 and ISO 1600 can be huge if you plan on taking available light photos without flash.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 4:41 PM   #3

I had to make the same decision. I went with the S5200 for a few reasons, the main ones being it's faster start-up time because ofa non-extending lens, it's high ISO capability and it just felt better in my hand. The Olympus also doesn'thave eithera diopter adjustment or a rubber eye-cup for it's electronic viewfinder, whichare important considerations if you wear glasses like I do.

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:51 AM   #4

I also have the Fuji s5200. I bought it and love it so far. The only thing that I didnt like about the fuji is the zoom is right next to the EVF so it is kinda hard for me to zoom in and out with the EVF. I also wear glass + I have a big head and hand. I just end up using the LCD even though your not supposed to but I dont care. If you are one of those person who MUST use the EVF I would suggest you try out the fuji handle control before you buy it.
On the olympus the zoom is controlled by the pointer finger instead of your thumb so its sooo much easier. Another thing that I notice that the olympus had that the fuji didnt have was the olympus had a super macro mode which allows you to zoom in closer for a macro shot. I only tested out this feature at the shop but it worked very well at the shop, I dont know how well it would work in the real world.

I just wished that the zoom control wasnt soo close to the EVF. Other then that I think the fuji is a great camera for a beginner like me.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:53 PM   #5

Hi jss: Everyone has their favorite, but you need to handle both cameras, and get a feel for how you like the handling of each.

I happen to be a fan of both Oly and Fuji cameras. However, this time I'm going to recommend the Oly.But how you like the handling and photo quality of each is more important than any of our opinions.

That said, there are reasons why Isuggest the new SP-350 may be the better choice. Resolution settings: 8 choices for the Oly vs only 4 for the Fuji. Quality levels: 3 choices for the Oly vs. 2 for the Fuji. The LCD of the Oly is a big and bright 2.5" vs. only 1.8" for the Fuji. F-stop starts at f2.8 for the Oly vs f3.2 for the Fuji. The Oly has a comprehensive choice of 20 scene modes vs. only 6 for the Fuji. The Oly also has a 10MP internal memory so you canstill takesome shots when your card gets full. The Fuji has none. Both cameras use 4 AA batteries. The Oly is actually a little smaller and a little lighter than the Fuji, probably easier to carry around all day, and a little easier to stick in a coat pocket.

Good luck in your decision.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:37 PM   #6

Hi There,

Try visit some of the links provided from this Russian forum:

http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=20:17027

Also my test gallery:

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...umName=album11

The previous poster mentioned Fuji has only two quality modes, if compression artifact is your concern then you shouldn't worry, since 5MP Fine jpeg is equivalent to an "11" jpeg setting using Photoshop. However, only the native resolution is available in fine, the rest are only available in normal setting.

--curtis
curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:40 PM   #7

Steven,

I usually agree with most of what you have to say, but I think you're really stretching this one. Your reasons for selecting the SP-350 over the S5200 are just a little lame...8 resolution settings vs. 4, 3 quality settings vs. 2 - who cares? Put the camera at the best setting for each and forget about it. 20 scene modes vs. 6 - who cares? Are you going to ever use the 'museum' mode or the 'cuisine' mode or the 'behind glass' mode? There's nothing there that you can't do manually. The only modes I might use are the 'available light' and 'anti-blur' on the Fuji. And how many extra shots are you going to get with the 10 MB internal memory - TWO? - it's a 6 MP camera. At some point the camera will have to write that memory onto the flash card, and that will either be after you take a couple of pics, which will slow your cycle time immensely, or when you try to turn the camera off. Yes, the Oly has a much larger LCD, but "big and bright"? What makes you say it's bright? Both cameras have 115,000 pixels in their LCD's, so therefore, the pixel density of the Fuji LCD will be almost double that of the OLY, most likely resulting in a brighter, sharper display. Oly wins the aperture war handily, at least at the low end (2.8 to 3.7 vs. 3.3 to 3.5) and the Oly is smaller than the Fuji.

Let's look at some features that really count for something. The Fuji has six ISO settings (64 thru 1600), the Oly only has four (80 thru 400), giving the Fuji better low light capabilities. The Fuji has 5 MP and the Oly has 6 MP...since they both have the same size sensor, the Oly will exhibit more noise. They both have EVF viewfinders, but the Oly doesn't have a rubber eyecup and has no diopter correction - the Fuji has both. If you wear glasses, you won't be able to use the Oly EVF without them, and without the eyecup, you'll probably have trouble with your glasses. The Fuji has better video resolution - 640 x 480 vs. 320 vs. 240.

Both Fuji and Olympus make great cameras, and I'm sure both of these cameras will capture their share of the market.

curtis,

Nice test gallery...good job. It would be nice if you could duplicate that effort with some other cameras for comparison purposes. Maybe the SP-350? And the FZ30?

the Hun

Old Dec 7, 2005, 5:58 PM   #8
jss

rinniethehun & Steven

I was talking about the Olympus SP500uz not the sp-350, well you posted the correct picture in your post Steven of the sp 500 so I will assume we are on the same page. I do agree with rinnie that you might be stretching your reasons for picking the SP-500uz. BUT BUT I am in a toss up over these cameras, so it's like a tie right now between them, so it's the little things like what you mentioned Steven that could end up being the tie breaker. I also when i preview pics on the camera I like to zoom in on them, I can do this with the Oly but not the Fuji. There is just not a whole lot of reviews and stuff out there for the oly yet, and i here a lot of good about the fuji. But I will hopefully make a trip to the city ( I live in the sticks)and check both these cameras out soon. Thank you all for your valuable input, please continue.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:39 PM   #9

jss,

My comparison was based on the SP-500 UZ and the S5200. The only reason I mentioned the SP-350 was because Steven brought it up in his post and I was reacting to it. I'm sure you would be happy with either camera (not the SP-350).

By the way jss, you can zoom in on playback with the S5200 (page 31 of the owners manual). Nice feature - I have it on my S5100, and use it quite often.

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...wnermanual.pdf

the Hun

Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:53 PM   #10
jss

the hum

You are right about the zoom on playback not sure where I read that you couldn't do that. thanks for the correction. The anti blurr feature is what really got my attention in the Fuji 5200, but i have read a few places that that is the same think as sports mode or an action mode. Also was woundering how well the Fuji would compare to the Oly SP500uz in pictures involving moving suject? Or how does anti blurr compare to the Predictive AF system that is in the Oly?