Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:24 PM   #31

Okay Richx, lets make peace. lol.

Not that I'm hijacking the thread too much, but why are u headed to China?

Now something tell me you own a Canon yourself, as your pretty much up on the Canon lenses.

Actually, when it comes to usability, I really think its the image quality in the end.

I'd rather have a good usability camera with great image quality than a great usability camera with good image quality.

I am open minded to other cams.

I'm planning to be really open minded to the next generation of cams that will be much better than we currently have.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:24 PM   #32

Now something tell me you own a Canon yourself, as your pretty much up on the Canon lenses.

Actually, when it comes to usability, I really think its the image quality in the end.

I'd rather have a good usability camera with great image quality than a great usability camera with good image quality.

I'm planning to be really open minded to the next generation of cams that will be much better than we currently have.

-- Terry
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:27 PM   #33

Alright, if you will

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Your losing the plot man.
Quote:
- My bad
Quote:
I was comparing the oly to the pentax to the rebelxt to the nikon d50.
Quote:
- The thread starter did say the 350D is out of his budget. The KM5D should be included too, for it is feature-rich and capable. Of the lot, the E-300/E-500 is the most "tweaker's tool", while the Pentaxes just get out of your way and keep things simple. The 350D has the worst ergonomics of the lot.
Quote:
The wide angle lens on the oly, with the cropping factor starts at 28mm in 35mm terms.
Quote:
-Kit lenses on the D50 and *ist DLhave 18mm x 1.5 = 27mm. Olympus gives 14mm x 2 = 28mm. The 350D has a particular disadvantage here with 18mm x 1.6 = 28.8mm-equiv.
Quote:
The wider angle oly's are very expensive. Why buy a $700 body and try to afford, like the $800 11-22 or the $1800 7-14?
Quote:
-That didn't stop people from trying to put the EF 70-200/2.8 IS on the 350D, nor the DX 17-55/2.8 on the D70.
Quote:
So if you have less than a grand to spend, including maybe one lens over the kit, that narrows the choice down.
Quote:
- In my country, the *ist DL, kit lens + DA 50-200 costs about the same as the E-500, ZD 14-45 + ZD 40-150 lens.
Quote:
Well, I disagree with you. It's the photographer and the tool. You didn't see Ansel Adams heading out into the wilderness with the cheapest crap he could get his hands on? lol..
Quote:
- Again, maybe your field demands high-technology. But for all-round photographic use, you only need so much. I still enjoy shooting with my FM2n, for one.
richx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:44 PM   #34

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
- Alright - peace to you too
Quote:
Quote:
- Family vacation, but I will be dragging my passion along - and that is PHOTOGRAPHY! Looking forward to taking in the streets, the people, the smells, the sounds ...
Quote:
Quote:
- No I don't own a Canon. But I have spent 24 hours with a 350D + EF-S 18-55 + 420EX making over 200 exposures in that duration. Also spent 12 hours or so with a 300D + EF-S 18-55 making over 200 exposures too. Many many hours with a D70 + DX 18-70 + (sometimes) SB800, totalling up over 1000 exposures. Other minor touch+go experience include KM-7D (5 exposures or so), E-1 (10 exposures or so), E-500 + E-300 (30 exposures or so). Most recently with the KM-5D for about 6 hours raking in over 170 exposures. Iown a C5060WZ, over 1.5 years of use totalling over 10k exposures. However, the only camera I have in my hands now is the Pentax *ist DS, with DA 18-55, DA 50-200, and DA 40/2.8 Limited, and Sigma EF500 ST coming soon, exposingnearly 4k frames in the last 5 months of ownership.
Quote:
Quote:
- For me, it's more of ergonomics. You can get better image quality by pouring in more R&D money, but good old ergonomics need time + thought to lay out properly. Personally, the 350D just doesn't demonstrate this quality well.
Quote:
Quote:
- Perhaps here's the difference between you and me. I am an enthusiast who _enjoys_ shooting. You're probably shooting for money, thus the need for Disneycolour :P
Quote:

Quote:
- It's be a good idea to try your hands on anything you can get your hands on. It's always an eye-opening experience to shoot with another make/model. I enjoy it all the time, learning more and more each time.

Anyway, my Pentax pictures (with some Olympus and Sony and KM5D) are at http://www.richx.org/

Cheers!
richx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:46 PM   #35

Here's a quote from Ansel Adams that absoluetely contradicts one of my earlier posts:

"Knowing what I know now, any photographer worth his salt could make some beautiful things with pinhole cameras." -- Ansel Adams

lol

Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:20 AM   #36

just ignore the troll that is insecure of his photographic skill...buy a cemera that you are confortable with. it's the photographer...not the camera that can bring the best photo out there.
explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:20 AM   #37

explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 8:44 AM   #38

Explorer,

I'm not insecure at all.

I know exactly where I'm at photographically and equipment speaking.

Terry
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:19 AM   #39

Terry,

With a uninformed ridiculous quote like "The Pentax probably has the worst of the image quality of all the DSLR's, so I'd skip that camera all together" you don't have a clue where you are at photographically, except in your own tunnel vision world and you certainly have not used a DS for any length of time.

Try the DS before you make statements that are not even close to being true, especially to someone looking for advice on purchasing a DSLR. I shoot with a friend that uses a Canon D20 and I use my DS and the majority of the time my DS takes better images than his D20, especially when it comes to highlights, which the D20 blows out at a high rate of speed.

By the way I use my DS for weddings and senior photos and all of my customers are more that than satisfied with the results, which I will put up against any photos done by a Canon D20 or the Digital Rebel.

I also use a Pentax MZ-S film camera for some of the photos, becaues ALL digital cameras lack the dynamic range of film and some of my wedding photos require that extra range. That too is something a "semi-pro" should take into consideration before going completely digital, although it may not be of that much interest to the casual photographer.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:20 AM   #40

Terry,

With a uninformed ridiculous quote like "The Pentax probably has the worst of the image quality of all the DSLR's, so I'd skip that camera all together" you don't have a clue where you are at photographically, except in your own tunnel vision world and you certainly have not used a DS for any length of time.

Try the DS before you make statements that are not even close to being true, especially to someone looking for advice on purchasing a DSLR. I shoot with a friend that uses a Canon D20 and I use my DS and the majority of the time my DS takes better images than his D20, especially when it comes to highlights, which the D20 blows out at a high rate of speed.

By the way I use my DS for weddings and senior photos and all of my customers are more that than satisfied with the results, which I will put up against any photos done by a Canon D20 or the Digital Rebel.

I also use a Pentax MZ-S film camera for some of the photos, becaues ALL digital cameras lack the dynamic range of film and some of my wedding photos require that extra range. That too is something a "semi-pro" should take into consideration before going completely digital, although it may not be of that much interest to the casual photographer.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote