Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:21 AM   #41

Terry,

With a uninformed ridiculous quote like "The Pentax probably has the worst of the image quality of all the DSLR's, so I'd skip that camera all together" you don't have a clue where you are at photographically, except in your own tunnel vision world and you certainly have not used a DS for any length of time.

Try the DS before you make statements that are not even close to being true, especially to someone looking for advice on purchasing a DSLR. I shoot with a friend that uses a Canon D20 and I use my DS and the majority of the time my DS takes better images than his D20, especially when it comes to highlights, which the D20 blows out at a high rate of speed.

By the way I use my DS for weddings and senior photos and all of my customers are more that than satisfied with the results, which I will put up against any photos done by a Canon D20 or the Digital Rebel.

I also use a Pentax MZ-S film camera for some of the photos, becaues ALL digital cameras lack the dynamic range of film and some of my wedding photos require that extra range. That too is something a "semi-pro" should take into consideration before going completely digital, although it may not be of that much interest to the casual photographer.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:27 AM   #42

Sorry for the multiple posts, but the server kept refusing my post and then all of a sudden accepted all three of my attempts at posting.

tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:37 AM   #43

I have had a Digireb and bought a 20D as a gift for my brother in law. My wife thought I should get a 20D for myself but I bought a Pentax DS instead. This is why:

When the DS came out, a reputable Japanese site showed that the DS had sharper JPEG's than the D, if you use standard tone. Look at the D and 20D photos on this site. Which are more detailed? AND Steve used the dog, FAJ 18-35.

Pentax and other Sony sensor cameras capture subtle differences in shade, while Canon forces shading toward either being light or dark. The photos are sharp and punchy but lack in realism. I would rather have the realism than the punch.

The lenses will make the biggest difference. I have bought a number of great lenses, dirt cheap. So far, my DS and the 6 lenses I use most are just a few dollars over a grand. How much would fast and sharp 28, 50 and 135mm primes cost for a Canon? We are not just talking fast, but also sharp, wide open, edge to edge.

The 20D is a good camera and has considerably more speed than the DS. They both are well built, have good high ISO performance and have pentaprism viewfinders. But it was hard for me to justify the difference in cost, especially considering the price of the glass.

K1000Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:57 AM   #44

Tom,

Sorry if my comment upset you but it was my subjective comment and opinion only.

I agree with your comment that film still surpasses digital, especially dynamic range as you suggested.

Most people criticizing my comments have not used a D20 either, so maybe it's the Pentax crowd versus the Canon crowd.

The bottom line, as you've suggested, is if your happy with the quality of the photos your getting, and so are your customers, then your a happy person.

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:01 PM   #45

Hey guys, remember me? This is like the post that got away. Before any more controversy starts let me clarify a few points:

- The Canon is not an option because Canon lenses are either expensive or "cheap", and the Rebel XT is significantly more expensive, in Canada, than the D50, *istd# or the Olympus.

- The Konica Minolta 5D is not an option because KM has completely abandoned the Canadian market leaving no camera distributor.

- I do not want to buy outside of Canada.

As for the quality of my existing lenses they include:

- 50mm f1.7 SMC Pentax-M (MF) **
- 28mm f2.8 Rikenon XR (the good ones, KR lenses are the cheapies) (MF) **
- 135mm f2.8 Rikenon XR (MF) **
- FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 SMC Pentax (AF) *
- Sears (Samyang) 80-200mm f4 constant aperture macro zoom (surprisingly good and very well built) (MF) **
- 28-80mm f3.5-4.5 Takumar-A (MF) (the crappy one)
- 70-210mm f4-5.6 UC Sigma (AF) (adequate) *
- 500mm f8 mirror Phoenix (Samyang)with T-mount and Pentax K-adapter (poor contrast but reasonably sharp, good enough for the occasional use it will get)
- 2X Takumar-A teleconverter (preserves aperture program but loses autofocus) *
- 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 Sigma (early autofocus model, all metal body) (AF) *
- A zoom slide copier with T-mount and Pentax K-adapter.
- 200mm f3.5 Tamron 42mm screw mount, (need a K-mount adapter) **
- 28mm f2.8 SMC Pentax-M which unfortunately has a badly scratched rear element so it is merely a display piece on a dead K1000.

** = excellent
* = fair to good
no stars = adequate, snapshot lenses.

My Minolta A series lens set is not as extensive but covers 19mmto 210mm.

- Phoenix 19-35mm f3.5-4.5 AF *
- 35-70mm f4 Minolta (first series) **
- 50mm f1.7 Minolta (first series) **
- 70-210mm f4 Minolta (first series) **
- Minolta T-mount to fit the 500mm Phoenix and the slide copier.

** = excellent
* = fair to good
no stars = adequate, snapshot lenses

If KM could get their act together in Canada this would be my system, with a 5D body.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:42 PM   #46

Terry,

This isn't people attacking Canon or any other camera company. A lot of people who responded to you have stated possitives about Canons so this isn't a brand war. Its because you made such rash statements without correct backup. For example:

"The Pentax probably has the worst of the image quality of all the DSLR's"

and

"Get a cam that can do serious high ISO stuff, only the Canon Rebel XTor the Nikon D50 will deliver"

Plus there was something about if you have a lens slower than 2.8 its junk... Etc… etc…

These are not a statment founded on facts. I think its you narrow view of photographic equipment and yourattitudeis whatbothers people.

----------------------------

Monza76,

Your lens collection is very nice but I can see why you would go with KM. You have a couple very nice Pentax lenses (ex. 50mm SMC 1.7) but over the entire range you better covered with high quality glass on the KM side. I was just wondering what the problem is with their dealer network in Canada? I have seen there stuff at most of the stores I go to in Toronto or is it a problem in the maratimes?
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:12 PM   #47

pic_*ist

KM has closed operations in Canada, the cameras you see are just old stock still on the shelves (or grey market) check out this article http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05...okmdcs_4ca.asp

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:14 PM   #48

wow, that is a shame... what I have read about those cameras they seemed like a very solid product... its too bad there no longer an option for Canadians...
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:51 PM   #49

I am sorry if I was Canon bashing. Each brand brings something different to the table and each person needs what fits. For me, Canon was the worst fit. Nikon was close but no good viewfinder. Like Monza, I had or recently bought good 28, 50 and 135 primes.
K1000Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:53 PM   #50

Monza,

I'm glad we're back to your posts again.

Looks like you have some pretty cool Pentax lenses, for sure.

That Minolta F1.7 50mm is a pretty tasty lens as well.

So are you thinking of getting the Pentax?

One very cool thing about the Pentax is it's a small and light camera (I think??), and man I hate lugging around the big rig sometimes.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote