Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:54 PM   #51

for what its worth I bought the KM 5D(I live in Toronto) and I am very happy with it. Zoomtron will honor the 1 year manufacturer's warranty and if you really need it you can always buy the extended warranty offered by reputable shops like B&H and not have to worry about servicing the camera(other than the shipping I suppose). And cost wise buying most of these camera from US source even with tax and shipping(you can um, skim the tax if you go to US and buy it....depends on how close to the border you are I suppose) will end up being cheaper, most store in Canada are quite over priced....And the camera works very well with the lens that you do have(I have the 50 f1.7 and 70-210 f4, both are excellent on the 5D). Cheap lenses are a plenty on eBay(relatively), and if you really want to spend the big bucks on expensive lens you are better off buying from US anyway.

Just my experience so far....
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 4:10 PM   #52

I realize that the Pentax lenses I have are rather obsolete, I would much prefer to go KM, especially since the lenses I listed include three of the sharpest lenses available outside of megabuck pro glass. I cannot see KM staying out of Canada indefinitely, and there is also the issue of the KM - Sony deal. From what I gather Sony is getting into the DSLR market through a deal with KM, I assume that means KM camera mechanicals and Sony electronics. If this includes sharing the lens mount who knows where it could lead, after all Sony is the biggest user of Carl Zeiss lenses.... imagine a set of Zeiss lenses in KM AF mount!!!!

Oops, daydreaming again. I thank you all for your responses and if nothing else it has reminded me (as JimC has on many occasions) that I should still be looking at the KM 5D.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:05 PM   #53

OK here is my appraisal of the Pentax lenses you have and how they work on my DS:

- 50mm f1.7 SMC Pentax-M (MF) Very Nice Lens, works great on my DS

- FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 SMC Pentax (AF) Not A Bad Lens, works OK on my DS

- Sears (Samyang) 80-200mm f4 constant aperture macro zoom (surprisingly good and very well built) (MF) Some Sears Lenses (Ricoh mounts) have issues locking on the DS and they become very difficult to remove.

- 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 Sigma (early autofocus model, all metal body) (AF) Not bad, a bit soft contrast wise.

- 200mm f3.5 Tamron 42mm screw mount, (need a K-mount adapter) Works fairly well on my DS, but not great.

- 28mm f2.8 SMC Pentax-M which unfortunately has a badly scratched rear element so it is merely a display piece on a dead K1000. Too bad, it is a pretty good lens.

The joy of Pentax is you can use any 35mm lens they made including the M42 screw mounts on the new digital SLR's they make, which is not true of Nikon and Canon.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:13 PM   #54

Monza,

If you bought your 5D from B&H photo, wouldn't they honor the camera for you?

You could ask them, or even consider taking out one of those MACK warrantees or something.

Generally I think if a Digital works in the first couple days, your usually okay with it, unless you drop it or something.

I've never had anything go wrong with a camera other than 20 year old film cams I bought dirt cheap on Ebay.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:32 PM   #55

I actually wrote to Zoomtron(KM's service agent in Canada now) that how the warranty works, they basically say you only need your receipt for the factory warranty work in Canada(1 year).
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:58 PM   #56

ennacac

- Sears (Samyang) 80-200mm f4 constant aperture macro zoom (surprisingly good and very well built) (MF) Some Sears Lenses (Ricoh mounts) have issues locking on the DS and they become very difficult to remove. - that only applies to lenses with an A or P setting on the aperture ring.

I will research the possibilities, even KM has its own US based on-line store which will ship to Canada so there is still hope for a KM 5D in my future.

Ira

Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:28 AM   #57

You mentioned your Pentax lenses were obsolete. As long as they are fine optically, they are not obsolete. I use a combination of M, A, FA and DA lenses. My favorite 2 are a Zenitar 16 (M operation) and a non SMC A28/2.8. M lenses operate with aperture priority and center weighted metering, which is fine by me. A and newer lenses are controlled by the body and the aperture info is recorded in the EXIF. FA lenses will even display the focal length.

I am really pleased with the quality of my DS. It would be nice if it had a little more AF and shot to shot speed. BUT, it has a really nice feel to it and it rocks with available light photos.

Be sure to go and hold the cameras. Look at photos and check out what the owners say. Then, take lots of photos.
K1000Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:14 AM   #58

Ira-

I find the viewfinders on both the Oly E-300/E-500 and Pentax DS to be very good and quick shots are easy. Either would give you excellent photos and great service over the long haul.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:50 PM   #59

K1000Photographer: I am also a K1000 photographer, throughout the 1980s and early 1990s I shot everything withtwo K1000s and an ME Super. My favourite lens was a 70-150 f3.8 Vivitar zoombut I usually shot with just the 50mm f1.7 M lens that came with the ME-Super. If I could get a split image rangefinder focusing screen for the *ist DS2 I would be ecstatic. I also have been talking to a new Canon convert who may have some good A-series glass (an upgrade for me).

mtclimber: I realize you have a great deal of experience with all of these cameras and I appreciate your input. The E-500 would obsolete my current lenses but would allow me to use my CF and xD cards from my Fuji S7000 (2.5 Gigs worth). I am still torn on that one, the overall performance of the two cameras is similar and the build quality of the Pentax (and the E-300) is first rate. I still look at that bag of lenses and feel twinges of guilt at the thought of going with a new format. All of my current lenses will work with the Pentax, but only two give me autofocus. I think I am getting a headache...

As I mentioned, the KM 5D is still a remote possibility but right now I am leaning toward the Pentax.

Ira
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:49 PM   #60

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys, remember me? This is like the post that got away. Before any more controversy starts let me clarify a few points: . . . .

As for the quality of my existing lenses they include:

- 50mm f1.7 SMC Pentax-M (MF) **. . . .
There must be something wrong with the forum software since I'm seeing so many duplicate messages here.

As for your dilemma, I'm sure any of the cameras you're considering will give you excellent photos. What's most important is a flexible attitude, being willing to assume (at least initially) that problems in photographs are user error rather than necessarily being the fault of the camera, and thus the willingness to work within the limitations of the medium, and get the best from whatever camera you buy. You should assume you will have some issues with any camera you buy; the important thing is knowing how to deal with them without tossing everything for the next pretty face.

To lay my cards on the table, I used to be a Nikon film SLR users, but switched to Olympus with my first digital, and now use an E-300. It's not perfect, but near enough for me (at least until the E-1 replacement comes out this next year). Olympus makes excellent glass--the kit lenses with the E-300/E-500 are probably the best of all the kit lenses out there, and the upgrade path is getting better with additional lenses of all three grades being introduced. Olympus already has the largest line of pure digital lenses of all the manufacturers (see their lineup HERE.

Yes, Canon/Nikon are the "Ford and Chevrolet" of the industry, and they are undeniably solid, but hardly without issues. The biggest shortcoming of the E-300/E-500 is undoubtedly additional noise at high ISOs, but it's not an insurmountable problem given all the fine NR software available these days (Neatimage, Noise Ninja, Noiseware, etc.).

Some commentators have already predicted the death of the 4/3 system, but with all the high-level glass being produced by Olympus recently, the promise of Panasonic and perhaps even Sigma coming out with bodies in 4/3 next year, and the good reception given the new e-500, it's a bit premature to make that kind of pessimistic guess. Image quality is excellent up to A3 size (Oly is known particularly for its color rendition); and the 4:3 format wastes less pixels when printing at most standard sizes (other than 4x6) than the 3:2 used by other cameras. If you need to print regularly up to 5' tall prints, get a medium format camera.

If you want to continue using your pentax lenses, four-thirds adapters are available for virtually all the makes out there (see Cameraquest.)

Dust on the sensor is what you make of it. People who have non-Oly SLRs learn to clean their sensors or send them in for cleaning. Live with it. With the Oly, it's simply NAI (Not An Issue). In the last year, I've heard of maybe two people who have had a genuine speck of dust on their E-system sensors, and they were exceptional cases.

You may find the viewfinder on the E-system slightly small, but it's not constraining (to me) under practical conditions. The operative word here is COMPROMISE. Decide what areas are most important to you and what aren't.

Best advice, as others have said, is to find some of these candidate cameras in a real store and handle them. See how they feel to you in the hand, and how the viewfinders and command layout work for you.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote