Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:10 PM   #61

Hey Norm,

I've always recommended that, if possible, to hold and handle a camera first before buying it.

Practically speaking, however, there are few stores in the Boston area where you could actually go and get your hands on a camera (of DSLR level).

I have done it once or twice at a "chain" camera shop and definitely got the dirty looks when they couldn't sell me on the spot.

Deep down, these sales people probably realize that some people are just trying the cameras in a shop, but looking for a cheaper price online.

It's a bit of a moral dilemma, in my mind.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:05 PM   #62

OK Norm, you certainly make a strong argument here. An E-300 two lens kit sells for little more than a Pentax *istDS2 body, it would allow me to use my present CF cards, give me 8MPand give me the advantage of allowing me to still use my Pentax prime lenses with a Cameraquest adapter.

Now a question for you, which is the better overall camera, the E-300 or the E-500. I assume image quality to be practically identical so my question regards general handling and overall construction.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:39 PM   #63

The E-300, so I've heard, does not do well over ISO400.

From DPREVIEW:

[*]Recommended sensitivity ISO 100 - 400, images at ISO 800 usable, ISO 1600 not really [/*]

From STEVE'S REVIEW:

The E-300's image quality was very good at ISO 100 and 200. At higher ISO's, noise becomes evident; while 400 is very usable, noise becomes noticeable in highlight areas at ISO 800, and there's so much noise present at ISO 1600 that you'll only use it when it's the only way to get the shot.

Unfortunately the E-500 gets similar comments in terms of ISO noise.

I don't know if it's the smaller sensor size trying to acheive the 8mp, or the CCD, but I'd be worried if I were you about taking shots indoors or in low light situations.

-- Terry

Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:45 PM   #64

This is what the extra $200 buys you (or two months of eating Ramen noodles)...

FROM STEVES DIGICAMS REVIEW OF THE CANONREBEL XT:

The XT's image quality is excellent, indistinguishable (except for size) from that of the 20D, and quite improved at high ISO settings over the original Digital rebel. Noise is absent from images shot at ISO 100 and ISO 200, barely detectable in shadow areas at ISO 400 and 800, and noticeable in shadow areas at ISO 1600, but still usable. The XT's high ISO image quality distinguishes it from both competing consumer dSLR's and high-end prosumer digicams. Long exposures are essentially noise-free, even without the use of the Long Exposure Noise Reduction Custom Function.