Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:21 PM   #1

I bought a E550 and I have noticed when zoomed to 100% there is a lot of digital noise. Landscapes at 100 ISO regardless if it is JPEG or Raw I see noise. I was wondering if anyone had an E550 and if they are expriencing the same thing.I use a noise reduction filter to eleminate most of it but I should not have to. Also I don't think the color is rich enough so I usually increase it in photoshop. I hope soon to have the money for a Canon DSLR but for the time being I will be using the Fuji. I bought the tele converter and wide angle from Fuji and they do not degrade the shots more than they are normally. I usually shoot in full manual mode or Aperture mode with auto focus. I have tried full auto for side by side comparisions just incase it is something I am doing, but I can see no diffrence in the amount of noise or brightness and color saturation. Gosh it would be nice to take a picture download it make a few minor corrections and make the print. I can send some photos if someone would be willing to help compare.
Attached Images

Dark Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:31 PM   #2

Post a pic?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:35 PM   #3

Okay I uploaded a picture of the moon I took in Mexico I used this pic because it is a blue sky where the noise is most noticable. It is untouched from the cd I burned it to.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:09 PM   #4

I see grain in your pic, but I've also seen it in E550 sample pics on several web sites, especially when the shot was taken at ISO 100, like yours. The sky shots I've seen taken at ISO 80 don't look as bad. Of course there's a limit to how much you can blow up any pic before you start seeing grain, even with a DSLR.

Just out of curiosity, why would you use aperture priority for a sky shot? I just checked a bunch of my blue sky pics, and in Auto mode, my camera (S5100) drops down to ISO 64 and I don't see any grain in my pics. Did you do any sharpening on your moon shot? That can really bring out the grain in a pic.

Take a look at some of the samples here (taken at ISO 80):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...0_samples.html

I can see grain in these, but not as bad as yours.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:18 PM   #5

I had been taking photos all morning when I looked up and saw the moon still bright in the sky. I turned the tripod and aimed at the moon, that is why it was in apeture priority mode. I looked at the other pics you posted and I see the same grain I guess it is common to the model. Thanks so much for your help.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:23 PM   #6

In photoshop if I convert the Raw file to 6 mega pixel instead of 12 the grain is not as bad. Then I run a single pass or two from a grain removal program, it helps but to much and the picture is really a mess. I also use the noise removal filter in photo shop it does a decent job but again you have to make sure you don't over due it.